123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux/Bootloader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zacks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Linux/Bootloader Reply with quote

Hi all! I am interested in prehaps running some sort of Linux Distro on my PPC mac. Does anyone have any experiance with this? What boot loader could I use, is it included in the distro? I'm looking for dual boot here...Is the hardware supported including the dial-up modem, etc. I know on my PC linux had trouble with the modem so I had to ditch it because I have dial-up. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, let me know. Also, due to the fact that my internet connection is extremely slow (26.6Kbs) I was wondering if anyone was willing to burn me the disks for a PPC distro, I could send along a few bucks if I could get them mailed to me. Thanks all.
edsel6502

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya.

This is the wrong forum for it.

The bootcamp is only for Intel based macs. Which preliminary reports are able to boot and install Redhat.

For you PPC you should check this site out.

http://penguinppc.org/

Good luck.

Cheers,
ed
andp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distro are you looking at? I would install Fedora Core 5 PPC on your Mac mini.
http://fedora.redhat.com/

Here's an article about installing Fedora on a Mac mini.
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/features/mac-mini/

If you can't get someone to burn the disks, you can always buy them online for a few bucks.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org

'nuf said. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: what about kernal Reply with quote

Can you get a Kernal on a Mac? I've used that before and I liked the interface.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
zacks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edsel6502 wrote:
heya.

This is the wrong forum for it

Cheers,
ed

Shove it. Read the forum description "Mac Mini Boot Camp
Discuss running and installing an alternative OS on your Mac mini." Where does it say anything about the architecture or about windows? Don't say ignorant things, I've checked out that site though, thanks.
castufari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacks wrote:
Shove it. Read the forum description "Mac Mini Boot Camp
Discuss running and installing an alternative OS on your Mac mini." Where does it say anything about the architecture or about windows?

Nice attitude. That aside, the folks in the normal mini forum (PPC) could answer more questions, a lot of long timers there.
ahh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edsel6502 you are a moron. This site existed wayyyyyy before the intel macmini's and linux has been discussed several times on this forum.

You should really think before you go sending someone away from such a great resource. Unreal.

zacks, I agree with iMav, gentoo is where it's at. It's a bit cumbersome if you are new to Linux. Linux will come with a bootloader to take care of everything. You really don't need to worry about it. Debian install goes pretty smooth. If interested ,check this out for a step by step install guide for Debian on a PPC mac mini: http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two snide remarks about edsel6502 were uncalled for. He made a mistake about the "Boot Camp" forum not being the right one; that's all. We all make mistakes. There was nothing in his post about the 123macmini site being a wrong place to get information on running Linux on a PPC mini. Like ahh says, this site is a great resource, so let's not turn off people who are trying to contribute to it.
zacks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. Sorry man.
coolgames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Gentoo LIve CD runs, Cheap OEM XP Reply with quote

Just tried http://www.gentoo.org/ Live CD and it worked without any net devices but all the GUI was available including Open Office.

Also found OEM XP at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059
for <$90
zacks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how people feel about this but if any of you guys out there with a high speed connection would be willing to download and burn the install CDs (4) for Yellow dog Linux? (http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=12). Blanks are pretty cheap these days and I'd be willing to send along a few bucks. To those who suggest requesting CDs , I've tried it a number of times over the years and still have yet to recieve a single CD.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some idle curiosity here. I haven't tried Linux since the days of Suse 6.5 so there's a lot about it that I don't remember. Once you download the iso's and make CD install discs out of them, do you just boot from the first one and follow directions? I seem to recall that you need to create several HD partitions for a Linux install. Does that disk do it for you or do you do this in advance? Does making those partitions destroy existing data?

Last but not least, I wondered about Suse PPC. Years ago this was considered a very popular installation because it was so user-friendly. I actually bought it; paid around $50 for the disks and manual, which is now gathering dust on a shelf. Now I never hear anything about it on Mac forums. Does anyone here still use it? Has it fallen into disfavour?
coolgames

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Try the small Gentoo then down the Yellow dog? Reply with quote

I am confused as to the theme. If it is PPC then Yellow Dog is the choice and SUSE is noise as it is not a Novell (new owner) favorite on PPC.
If it is Intel MAC then Boot Camp is a Intel solution not to be ported to PPC.
If we are talking alternatives then Linux will need access to the hardware specs.
Can you say OpenSource Apple?
fuji257

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPC Mac's.

SUSE is now a commercial distribution and the recommend home users use "Open SUSE" (Similar but different to Red Hat -> Fedora).

SUSE is losing in popularity due mainly to:

1. Many people liked SuSE for including EVERYTHING, now more "slim" distros are in favor.

2. Many folks dislike Novell (stupid reason, but those are the breaks)

Yellowdog is RH/Fedora based but was the first PPC Linux to boot (easily) from Firewire.

Gentoo has stolen much of the "we like the CLI" crowd; HIGHLY customizable, a little harder to learn.

Ubuntu (XUbuntu, Kbuntu, Ebuntu et all) is quickly becoming the Linux for beginners choice on PPC and x86.

Between 'buntu and Gentoo every other distro is either scrambling for a different niche, or losing users rapidly.

Intel Mac's:

I've tried installing Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, PC-BSD, Desktop BSD, Gentoo, NetBSDB, BeOS (Zeta, PE MAX, Dano), ReactOS, FreeDOS, Syllable.

Multiple version of most including STABLE and BETA's. This is what I've learned:

1. The firmware update is NOT the magic answer; but a half ass band-aid that enables OSS advocates to delay learning EFI.

2. GRUB sucks big donkey d!cks, and can only boot the most simplistic setups, anything beyond that and you may as well code a bootloader yourself as THAT is EASIER than configuring GRUB to do ANYTHING remotely useful.

3. Once a nerd posts 4 pages of instructions on HOW TO install a distro the community considers it DONE and celebrates the versatility of the Almighty Linux.

5. Most alternative OS's have LITTLE problems INSTALLING on x86 Mac; but have SEVERE issues BOOTING. Many have problems with the GMA950 video and/or SATA hard drives and/or Booting from Firewire.

6. The issue's listed above are reasons why if you want to install an alternate OS on your Intel Mac; you should just wait awhile first unless you are an advanced user/coder. Eventually someone will release an easy install (and boot) OS/Distro, but I ain't found it yet. (hopefully Slackware or NetBSD)

Of course if you just want to tinker without installing; a lot of the LiveCD's work good esp Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: