123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How well does Windows works with the mac hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: How well does Windows works with the mac hardware Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I really really want to get a mac mini.

I have a few questions about the mini's ability of running windows:

1) Does window recognizes the Mac´s wireless hardware (BT & Wifi, sound card, network cards, etc)

2) How good is the performance when running games under windows.

Running windows on the mac is not one of the main reasons I am getting a mac. I already have a PC, but it will be great being able to have the best of both worlds.

thanks!

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How well does Windows works with the mac hardware Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Does window recognizes the Mac´s wireless hardware (BT & Wifi, sound card, network cards, etc)

Yes. Everything is recognized after you install the drivers from the disk you burn with Boot Camp.

Quote:
2) How good is the performance when running games under windows.

Slightly better than OS X.
edsel6502

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How well does Windows works with the mac hardware Reply with quote

scooper wrote:

Yes. Everything is recognized after you install the drivers from the disk you burn with Boot Camp.

That's not entirely true. The IR is not recognized and some power management devices are still undetected
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How well does Windows works with the mac hardware Reply with quote

edsel6502 wrote:
That's not entirely true. The IR is not recognized and some power management devices are still undetected

Good point. I was mostly talking about the things "BT & Wifi, sound card, network cards" that he mentioned.
aawil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How well does Windows works with the mac hardware Reply with quote

scooper wrote:

Good point. I was mostly talking about the things "BT & Wifi, sound card, network cards" that he mentioned.

That stuff all seems to work fine on my imac. I would presume the same on the mac mini.

What doesn't work is the remote and in the imac's case the built in isight.
blueness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: fine on a Mini Reply with quote

XP runs so well on my 1.66 Duo Core Mini that I've stopped using my noisy Shuttle XPC and 3 month old Averatec laptop.

While Halo didn't do so well and I haven't bothered to try Doom 3 or Quake 4, the Intel 945/50? GPU handled Quake 3 and Max Payne very well.

Let's face it, the integrated solution isn't going to give anyone the ability to play current games well but anyone (like me!) with a batch of unfinished GeForce 3/Ti 4200 or Radeon 9200/9800? oriented games should be psyched!

Oh. ...and outside of games, it's just fun to be back on a Mac!
legacydoor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been able to get my Apple wireless keeyboard to work even thou bluetooth works and the Apple wireless mouse works! Any ideas?

Everything else in XP seems to be great!

Have a good day!
macminimuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legacydoor wrote:
I've not been able to get my Apple wireless keeyboard to work even thou bluetooth works and the Apple wireless mouse works! Any ideas?

Everything else in XP seems to be great!!

I have that same problem as well. I went into Control Panel and messed with the Bluetooth settings in XP, but my keyboard still didn't work. I've been more or less juggling keyboards, but at least everything works fine now!
g wizz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will my pocket pc sync in windows better than it currently does using pocketmac software if I purchase a new macmini with bootcamp and run the sync in windows.
aawil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legacydoor wrote:

Mine doesn't work right off the bat like it does in OSX but if i turn off the keyboard then turn it back on it seems to work. It seems not to pick it up automatically like OSX does. At least in my case anyway.
lmh2354

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aawil wrote:
Mine doesn't work right off the bat like it does in OSX but if i turn off the keyboard then turn it back on it seems to work. It seems not to pick it up automatically like OSX does. At least in my case anyway.

me too , anyway is there anyone can use the EJECT-key on the APPLE wireless keyboard under windows XP to eject CDROM from mac mini ?I have tried several times but it never works !
bluekatt

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: fine on a Mini Reply with quote

blueness wrote:
XP runs so well on my 1.66 Duo Core Mini that I've stopped using my noisy Shuttle XPC and 3 month old Averatec laptop.

While Halo didn't do so well and I haven't bothered to try Doom 3 or Quake 4, the Intel 945/50? GPU handled Quake 3 and Max Payne very well.

Let's face it, the integrated solution isn't going to give anyone the ability to play current games well but anyone (like me!) with a batch of unfinished GeForce 3/Ti 4200 or Radeon 9200/9800? oriented games should be psyched!

Oh. ...and outside of games, it's just fun to be back on a Mac!

wasnt able to get myst uru to get to run on it ( crashed after the intro movie )
gabriel knight does run on it

next up
the sims
the sims 2
dungeon siege
dungeon siege 2
syberia
and myst exile

wont bother to try vampire bloodlines
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my situation.

I have PPC mini's (see sig)

I need to run only one windows program and I only need it once a year Shocked

The program is QuickTax (Canadian). Not avalible for the mac.

Would QT run under MS Virtual PC or do I have to get an Intel mini and use Bootcamp.

I have 2 copies of Windows XP, 1 Pro and 1 home.

I really want to get rid of my PCs Very Happy

Cheers
Brian

Folding on a Intel Mini
bluekatt

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the specs for that program ?
vpc does not support complex 3d or direct X calls ( which is why it wont run games )
but i am pretty sure it wil run fine under vpc
no reaosn why it shouldt
just dont expect amazing performance
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the requirment for Quick Tax (from QT website)

* Intel Pentium 133 MHz or compatible, 300 MHz or higher recommended
* Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP Professional x64
* Approximately 41 MB free hard drive space required, plus approximately 12 MB free hard drive space for Internet Explorer if not already installed.
* 32 MB RAM, or the minimum requirement for the version of Windows, whichever is the greater. More memory improves performance.
* Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater (Internet Explorer 6 included on CD)
* 800x600 minimum resolution (1024x768 recommended)
* 256 colours (16-bit or higher recommended)
* 56 Kbps Internet connection, or higher recommended
* Windows-compatible printer
* 6x CD-ROM drive or faster

Cheers
Brian

Folding on a Intel Mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: