123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reLAXER564

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: new mac mini Reply with quote

hey all you mac mini users out there,
I am a high school student in maine and i am in the process of buying a new mac mini (exciting huh). because i have a limited budget i am wondering what all you mac mini users suggest i outfit my new mac mini with. Because I live in maine all fresh high school have 12 inch ibooks with 384 ram and a 1.07 gb processor. When purchasing my new mac mini i hope for it to have better stats than my ibook i am using now. This is a list of the specs i plan on purchasing...

1.42 gb
512 mb ram
80 hdd
superdrive (maybe)

if you i was also wondering what kind of monitor would work best with a mac mini for the best price. Thank you for welcoming my to your awesome website. Smile
Mac Mini's are cool

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest going for the 1.25 Ghz Mac Mini stock. And upgrading everything else later on...Honestly don't upgrade with apple...do it on your own and save yourself some cash...or get better parts for the price.
scottmd75

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: ed. discount Reply with quote

well, with ED discount the base 1.2 is $479 and the 1.42 is $579 so for $79 over list you get 40 gb more (albeit 4200rpm vs maybe 5400rpm) and a faster cpu.
superdrive is not a good value add an external firewire drive (7200rpm) and ext. fw dvd burner 8x-16x (pioneer or sony?) and it reads as supported in iDVD.

since MAC is not a great gaming platform compared to PC why do you need more than 32mb video ram. and a radeon 9200 ?
A 128mb radeon 9800 pro with XP pro is awesome 3D but I dont have the same reaction when I look at a G5 tower with the same card. Are we just talking about bragging rights here or what?
scottmd75

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: ed. discount Reply with quote

well, with ED discount the base 1.2 is $479 and the 1.42 is $579 so for $79 over list you get 40 gb more (albeit 4200rpm vs maybe 5400rpm) and a faster cpu.
superdrive is not a good value add an external firewire drive (7200rpm) and ext. fw dvd burner 8x-16x (pioneer or sony?) and it reads as supported in iDVD.

since MAC is not a great gaming platform compared to PC why do you need more than 32mb video ram. and a radeon 9200 ?
A 128mb radeon 9800 pro with XP pro is awesome 3D but I dont have the same reaction when I look at a G5 tower with the same card. Are we just talking about bragging rights here or what?
starbase17

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: What I suggest Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting the Mac Mini 1.25 GHz. You only get about 8-10 percent more performance out of the 1.42 GHz. Also, I'd boot off an external 7200 RPM hard drive as opposed to the internal laptop hard drive. Next, get 512 MB RAM with your Mini. With edu discount, the ram was only 67 dollars extra and the Mini was 479.00. I'd skip the bluetooth and wireless unless you really need it.
Mac 512K
Apple IIc
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím starting to take some art classes at a local community college. I hope this qualifies me for the edu discount! Very Happy
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: new mac mini Reply with quote

reLAXER564 wrote:
Because I live in maine all fresh high school have 12 inch ibooks with 384 ram and a 1.07 gb processor.

nice. I think we got 3 Apple II's (for the entire school to share) my senior year in high school. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: new mac mini Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
reLAXER564 wrote:
Because I live in maine all fresh high school have 12 inch ibooks with 384 ram and a 1.07 gb processor.

nice. I think we got 3 Apple II's (for the entire school to share) my senior year in high school. Smile

Apple ]['s! We had 300 baud teletypes. When they ran out of paper we used the paper towels form the boys room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: