123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can it be done?? Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie34uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: can it be done?? Help please Reply with quote

Hi all, I have had a mac mini for about 6 months (ie. no intel inside) with the main purpose of keeping all my music and photos in one place.

Last week my DVD player in my home entertainment system broke and I am considering turning my mini into a media centre. But I am not sure if the mini is capable doing the job in my situation:

1. My LCD TV (Sharp Aquos) is not HDTV ready and therefore has no DVI connection. My only options are VGA, S-Video or Component. I was in the apple store today, only to be told that there is no DVI/Component adapter that works with Macs and that I should just use the VGA cable. Is that really the best option in terms of quality????

2. I currently run the audio for my home entertainment through a Yamaha amp, which naturally does not only offer stereo but also 5.1 Surround sound etc. Again the chap in the Apple store suggested that the only way to get sound from the mini to the amp was via a monster cable that connected to the mini's headphone jack. Again - is this the best I can do??

Other than that, I am really excited about this. Any help???
GCGuy128

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Mini Gear threads, I think there was a mention of a component adapter, I'm not sure. Otherwise VGA would be your best bet, certainly better than S-Video.

As for audio, I have an external Creative Sound Blaster which works fine and the new ones should have an optical out as well as RCA jacks.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
1. It's better to stick with the VGA. Even if you found an adapter, converting and splitting the signal like that, into component will degrade your signal. VGA won't look as clear as a DVI/HDMI connection, but it should be decent enough, especially on photos/movies.

2. Well you can connect a bunch of different ways from your computer to your amp. If you have any kind of buzz when plugging in thru your headphone jack, try moving the jack away from the Mini by using a Griffin iMic.
For optical stereo connection, there is the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro thru an optical cable to your amp. It only does stereo, but it would be better quality than the headphone jack.
And for 5.1 DD or DTS, you can use a M-Audio Transit, it also uses an optical cable. It works pretty decent. There are other 5.1 devices out there, some are more expensive. But someone will probably post any more alternatives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: the cable you need to connect Reply with quote

between the mac mini and the yamaha avr is a 3.5mm optical(mini toslink) to toslink.

you can buy it from the apple store with a 2m length or get it online from various distributors like ram electronics.

the headphone doubles as a analog stereo or digital output when you specify it in your mini settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: