123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallels vs. Boot Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that with Parallels, whenever I click the mouse, my input is detached from the console? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I've noticed that with Parallels, whenever I click the mouse, my input is detached from the console? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Wow, I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the functionality works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Wow, I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the functionality works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).

You shouldn't have that problem on the Mac mini with two displays. Wink Other than this issue with the extended desktop, how does the rest of Parallels run on the iMac? I've read that mouse, window movements, and animation are choppy, but the rest runs great.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:
You shouldn't have that problem on the Mac mini with two displays. Wink Other than this issue with the extended desktop, how does the rest of Parallels run on the iMac? I've read that mouse, window movements, and animation are choppy, but the rest runs great.

It's been very impressive. I've installed Ubuntu 5.10, Gentoo 2006.0, and Solaris 10 all without issue.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
It's been very impressive. I've installed Ubuntu 5.10, Gentoo 2006.0, and Solaris 10 all without issue.

Cool! What the heck are you doing with Solaris 10?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:
Cool! What the heck are you doing with Solaris 10?

It runs faster on my CD (under Parallels Workstation) then it does on my Ultra5. Smile
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I just identified a bug with Parallels. With the PW window in my main iMac display, the functionality works as expected (need to hit Cntl-Option to release keyboard and mouse from the console window). When I drag the window to my second monitor (I span displays with my iMac), any mouse click within the console window will release the keyboard and mouse (rendering the mouse useless within the Guest OS).

Anyone else with an Intel iMac or MBP that spans their desktop able to duplicate this issue?
ipodman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will get better performance if you boot windows, in boot camp, for gamers definetly go to bootcamp because if you use parallels you will not get best performance. while you're using parallels you are still using OS X in the background and i think it halves your memory
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipodman wrote:
you will get better performance if you boot windows, in boot camp, for gamers definetly go to bootcamp because if you use parallels you will not get best performance. while you're using parallels you are still using OS X in the background and i think it halves your memory

I think that should be a given for any virtualization software. The "sweet spot" for windows under Parallels are situations such as....

- A single, needed application that ONLY runs under Windows
- A web developer that needs to see what his work looks like in I.E. (rebooting for something like that is ridiculous)
- A reminder as to how much Windows sucks. Smile
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- A reminder as to how much Windows sucks.

Don't forget solitare you know how much people need solitare.

Very Happy
syaman

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice-looking free Solitaire games here Smile

http://www.danlabgames.com/

imfullofit wrote:

Don't forget solitare you know how much people need solitare.

Very Happy
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, since the last couple of Beta updates, Parallels has been nothing short of awesome. VERY stable.
n0m0n

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I was wondering if some one could help me understand.
On my PowerBook I have Virtual PC which allows for one to install a light version of XP within the Tiger environment so that you can work within both and not have to reboot.
That alone is perfect for me as to what I want to do even though to date I have not installed many XP programs to see if it actually works for my needs.
Boot Camp creates 2 totally separate environments and you can work either on the Mac side or PC side but they will never meet.
I have not installed XP on my Mini (cant use Virtual PC on Mini Intel chip) as of yet because I now need to get a full copy of XP w/SP2 to install.
All my PC's came with XP already on the HD and these days no one is giving away disc's as backup anymore.
I have a copy of the OS / XP on a small partitioned part of the HD on each unit.
Can I make a backup from the units?
Will that work independently from the units even though the copies will be OEM?

Anyway back to the topic. I am now looking at Parallel Workstation and at this point cant seem to be able to figure out what it is and or if it is for me.
I looks like you can access both OS's from within 1 environment.
Is this true.
Do you have to install a Full SP2 when installing as you do with BootCamp?
Can anyone PLEASE help me figure all this out.
AS you can tell I am VERY VERY new to Apple and am having a hard time trying to convert and learn all this Mac stuff...
Not so simple.
Thanks
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0m0n wrote:
I am now looking at Parallel Workstation and at this point cant seem to be able to figure out what it is and or if it is for me.

Think if it as Virtual PC for the Intel platform. If you are familiar with VMWare, it's the same deal.
n0m0n

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
n0m0n wrote:
I am now looking at Parallel Workstation and at this point cant seem to be able to figure out what it is and or if it is for me.

Think if it as Virtual PC for the Intel platform. If you are familiar with VMWare, it's the same deal.

So this will act as it does on my PowerBook / Virtual PC?
Which is better in your opinion?

Also can you install XP upgrade or does it have to be a full version with SP2?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: