123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ColorWare adds color to Intel-based Mac minis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: ColorWare adds color to Intel-based Mac minis Reply with quote

ColorWare adds color to Intel-based Mac minis
Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Looking to add a little color to your Mac mini? ColorWare is now offering the Intel-based Mac minis in your choice of 24 colors. The company employs a patented color process, which allows it to color any type of surface, including plastic or metal. The 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini is available for $899. The 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini is available for $699. Both models can be configured with larger hard drives and more memory. ColorWare also offers a matching Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse in 24 colors for $129.

Already own a Mac mini? You can send in your PPC-based or Intel-based Mac mini to ColorWare's coloring service and have them paint it for $99. They will also paint your Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse for an additional $40.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/464.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yeah.... They do a nice job, but I did mine myself...
With a weird list...
Primer, Paint (any color/finish), sandpaper, razor blade, clear coat (gloss or matte), painters tape and a candle with either a lighter or matches.
Along with putty knife, for the usual taking off of the top.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how much their RAM upgrades cost.. lol
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am red with envy with everyone that has an Intel mini. Laughing

How sweet is this black iMac? I wish Apple would have made one that looked like this for their 30th.

iLife's a Bitch!
jthawke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Those are SWEET!! Reply with quote

Okay, I now know how I'll be replacing my current G4 mini. Of course, I'm going to wait until Apple figures out a way to fix all the problems in the new Intel minis, and maybe even allow the VT to work on the processors, but then Colorware will be getting my order!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
With a weird list...
Primer, Paint (any color/finish), sandpaper, razor blade, clear coat (gloss or matte), painters tape and a candle with either a lighter or matches.

Please post a link to yours.
WindnWater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. That red mini is sweat, I wonder if they have like a dark[er] teal color? My favorite colors are a soft blue [light or dark] and a soft green [light or dark].

That would be ultimately sexy i think lol!

A new wave of Community & Support!
jthawke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite as SWEET . . . Reply with quote

Okay, updating my previous post . . .

As the costs for Colorware to upgrade the RAM and the Hard Drive, looks like I'll just buy from Apple and send the mini for a paint job. They charge too much for add ons. Aside from the fact, that if you order the CPU from them and they paint it, if you have the now infamous Intel mini problems, you can't just exchange it for another.

Oh well, $99 is a good price for a mod after the fact. Very Happy
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
With a weird list...

Please post a link to yours.

Mine isn't actually completely finished yet. I have the flat black on it now, but I haven't decided how and in what color I'm going to make the Apple logo. Otherwise it's just a flat black Mini with no Apple logo.
I'm also going to do one for my friend, I haven't started on it yet, but was thinking on photo documenting it.
The nice thing is, I bought an extra top housing off of eBay for $50 (it came with the bottom housing too). That let me play around with it for a while. I also practiced on a piece of aluminum I have before trying this.

Thinking on taking my spare top housing to this local plastic molding company. I would like a smoke-tint clear plastic top housing. Only if it's economical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those look beautiful. I might upgrade to one in the future. An iMac.
droopy1592

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first mini was colorwarED and it had a few imperfections near the apple and the CD inlet was also painted, so discs would scratch every time they went in because the inlet (normally like brushes) was hard and crusty. THe CDs would go in slow (because of the hard paint) and the motor used to pull the cd in and out would sound strained.

I had to put a bum cd in and out like 100 times to loosen it up. ONly then did they stop scratching, when the flakes of paint on the brush/pad whatever it is fell off.

Be sure you want to do this with your minis or notebooks.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droopy1592 wrote:
My first mini was colorwarED and it had a few imperfections near the apple and the CD inlet was also painted, so discs would scratch every time they went in because the inlet (normally like brushes) was hard and crusty. THe CDs would go in slow (because of the hard paint) and the motor used to pull the cd in and out would sound strained.

I had to put a bum cd in and out like 100 times to loosen it up. ONly then did they stop scratching, when the flakes of paint on the brush/pad whatever it is fell off.

That is terrible. Something to really watch out for.

I'm thinking your DVD drive must have been misaligned. The slot on the mini is width of 2 DVD's plus a bit. When I put a disk in, it goes in perfectly straight. Equal spacing on each side. So either your drive was a little out of alignment or the paint was thicker than 1/2 a CD/DVD.

I guess the alignment thing is something all of us should check.

I personally dislike the slot design (other than the way it looks. On some brands of CD's I burn the felt pads smear bits of the disk upon ejecting a hot freshly burnt disk. I know it is not getting scratched because I can wipe the marks off quite easily.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the slot is great on the Apple notebooks because there is no flimsy tray to break off. It is nice on the mini, sorta a novelty, and could be a tray. On the PowerMacs, a tray seems like good sense, a slot would for sure be a novelty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droopy1592 wrote:

That is why on my list there is a candle. I use the wax of the candle to cover the grey dust cover (the brushes). You can either cover just the dust cover, or fill up the whole slot in wax. Use the putty knife and put the edge against the face, slide it so it gets rid of the excess wax and makes it flat with the front. Then all you have to do is break up the wax if you put a thin layer, or push it completely out from the inside if you filled the slot. Usually it's best to put in the wax after you tape up the entire inside.

Just a suggestion for those of you bold enough to paint yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Colorware paints over the Apple logo and adds another, or do they outline the logo that is already on top?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: