123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New addition to the Apple family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: New addition to the Apple family Reply with quote

Hope everyone is doing well in Mini land....

I attended the Tiger Launch last Friday here in Atlanta and decided to spring for a new system. It was a tough choice. I already had a nice 20" display that I purchased in August of last year which was not worth much thanks to the price drop from the $1299 I had to pay to $799 but I decided to buy a "custom" 20" iMac package and sell the display.

I got home and was reading Mac rumors only to find out that the iMac was to be updated the following Tuesday (which it was) so I took the unopened iMac back with the intention of buying the Mini I had wanted and was putting off since introduction.

And wouldn't you know, I still did not buy one. I don't know why I cannot seem to buy one for myself, my parent love theirs (first computer btw). I love everything about the Mini but the Video card turned me off. I went the completely opposite direction and purchased the revised Dual Processor PowerMac 2.0 GHz with 16x Dual Layer DVD burner, 128MB Video and 1.5 GB of RAM - nothing mini about that but I am very happy with it. It's the fastest Mac I have ever owned and I really see the potential for a LONG relationship with this one.

So thanks to everyone here on the board, I'll be lurking and chiming in from time to time.

-Jason
12" 1.33GHz PowerBook / 15GB 3G iPod /
4GB iPod Mini / 1GB iPod Shuffle

Last edited by livemusicfan on Thu May 05, 2005 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
andp

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Processor PowerMac 2.0 GHz " Well you can't go wrong with that and you still get to use your display! Was the 32MB video the only reason why you decided against the mini?
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video card was the main reason. Plus I was already thinking of ways to mod the Mini and I had brought the price up to over $1400 for everything I wanted to do to it.

I am planning on buying a new TV in the next year and will probably add a mini down the road hooked up to the TV as a music/photo server and to surf via PIP while watching TV. Would be fun to set that up.
12" 1.33GHz PowerBook / 15GB 3G iPod /
4GB iPod Mini / 1GB iPod Shuffle

Last edited by livemusicfan on Thu May 05, 2005 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
andp

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's fast. I've never had a chance to use one of the new dual G5's. Maybe down the road you'll pick up a mini for your HT project.

Cheers!
packerfan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did your mini add up to $1400?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the price if you would buy every option from Apple. Add in some tax and you're close to his $1400, but you'd have to be outa your mind to buy memory from Apple:

• 1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• 4x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
• Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac mini (w/ or w/o Display)
• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

$1,271.00
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: