123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No external sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: No external sound Reply with quote

I just did the Boot Camp install with XP Home. Everything seems to work pretty well so far except for the external sound. The only sound I get is from the internal speaker. I tried digging around in Control Panel and wasn't able to resolve the issue. Any suggestions?

The system is a 1.66 w/2G memory and an a mini Stack v2

Thanks

John Boy
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the answer on Apples site, the driver can't re-route the sound from the internal speaker yet. Bummer.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LumbermanSVO wrote:
I found the answer on Apples site, the driver can't re-route the sound from the internal speaker yet. Bummer.

You can't play audio with external speakers? Confused
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you are using the optical output, but not if you are using analog. Gotta wait for an udate from Apple or a hack from someone else.
canvasboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: sound issues Reply with quote

I too have found that sound is played through the internal speaker through windows no matter what I do. But I've been also able hear the sounds quite well at the same time through my analog creative speakers via the output as well. I just turn up the volume on those and it drowns out the internal speaker. I have seen no need for digital only output to use external speakers.

Could be a better solution, but just as good this way.

Hope this helps.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
LumbermanSVO wrote:

You can't play audio with external speakers? Confused

I can play audio with my external speakers and/or the internal speaker. You guys might need to reinstall the SigmaTel drivers.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice a red LED behind the jack that glows when in XP? I see it on my wall and noticed it was coming from one of the two mini-jacks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MacScout67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Did you notice a red LED behind the jack that glows when in XP? I see it on my wall and noticed it was coming from one of the two mini-jacks

Wow! I wouldn't have noticed that because the end of my Monster stereo cable is big. I pulled the cable out a little bit, and sure enough it was glowing red. I'm not sure what that's all about. I guess there are some driver issues here. By the way, I need to clear up my last post. Audio plays through both the external speakers and internal speaker at the same time when a 3.5mm stereo cable is plugged in. I've also noticed that having your cable plugged into the audio-out/headphone jack doesn't cut off the internal speaker like it does in OS X. Is that what you are noticing? I wonder if this could cause some problems down the road? Confused
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the drivers for XP just doesn't support the auto on/off of the internal speaker, so that needs revising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LumbermanSVO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:

I can play audio with my external speakers and/or the internal speaker. You guys might need to reinstall the SigmaTel drivers.

I tried the driver used in the hacked XP install and lost all sound. I went back to the Apple drivers and still had the same sound issue, only the internal speaker.

If my stereo had an optical input it woudln't be an issue, lol.
zembu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Same problem - red jack and sound both external and internal Reply with quote

I have the same trouble which is a problem; I have two mac minis (XP on one, Tiger on the other) hooked up to a Gefen DVI KVM, which includes audio switching. Problem is, the internal speaker on the XP machine isn't disabled, so when I switch to Tiger, although my external speakers swich to the Tiger machine, I still hear the audio of the XP machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: