123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple announces Boot Camp [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried installing Parallel's Virtualization software on the mini?

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
alpianoman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Resolution Support XP with Boot Camp Reply with quote

spoonman wrote:
scooper wrote:
spoonman wrote:

Just wanted to share my experience so far....

Cool! Cool

I hate to repeat myself, but what resolution are you running at on the Windows side? Will it support 1680x1050 and 1920x1200?

Well, I don't have a widescreen display... so all this monitor that I have here at work will do 1600x1200. Sorry I couldn't help more...

Well, I just installed Windows XP Home on my Mac Mini Duo. I have an Apple 23" HD Cinema display and it supports the resolution. Looks great. It even supports over 1920x1200.

Hope that clarifies the question. Smile

AL
dakota650r

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Works great! Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents here. This really kicks but! I just installed xp on my core duo mini and it rocks. super easy. I slipstreamed sp2 so i could do an unattended install and it worked like a champ. for now I'm triple booting. Tiger on my 400GB ministack (the primary drive) and Tiger and XP on the internal drive. (Tiger on the internal drive is a fresh install - just in case I ever need it for something) I was going to use fat 32 on the Win partition but when it came time to format, that option wasn't there. I told the boot camp assistant to only set aside 32gb with the intention of using fat 32 but NTFS was the only available option. Oh well, still works great. Drivers work. Every thing just works. The first time. Not the second time or the hundredth time. The First Time! I've got a 19in monitor hooked up to it for now and I've got an Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse and a cheap pc keyboard and a Microsoft S+arck mouse (the blue one) and they all work fine. Can't scroll sideways with the Mighty Mouse when in Windows programs but that's fine. I've got the Mini hooked up to my network just fine and my external drives work. The printer works. Everything works.

This is the simple and elegant solution I was waiting on. I was somewhat leary of the other windows on mac solution because of the various driver issues and I'm glad I waited for Apple to introduce Boot Camp. I did have to run windoze update several times to get all the xp updates, but now I've started loading all my usual programs on it and due to the Core Duo and 2GB of DDR2 it works better and faster (for non graphics intensive purposes) than any pc that I've used (except for my gaming machine - oc'd Athlon 64 Venice on DFI NF4 Ultra-D with ATI x800 XL vid card, sata2). Now I don't have to go out and spend more money on a non Intel version of Microsoft Office for Mac right away and I can use my trusty Office 2002 disks until Microsoft introduces a Universal binary of Office. Plus I had just purchased Macromedia Studio just a couple months ago ($999 for Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash etc... kind of expensive!!!!) but the good news is that the disks were for both Win and Mac!!!! Of course it had to run in Rosetta on OS X on my Mini but it was still pretty good. Now I can just use it on Windows on my Mini with no performance hit whatsoever. And I don't have to go out and spend even more money for a Mac version that still isn't universal and probably won't be until next year. And I can see what my websites look like in Windows using Internet Explorer AND in OS X using Safari ON THE SAME MACHINE!!!!

I love this. I'm so glad I waited for a Intel Mini and I really think this is going to spur many many people to switch. I know I'm going to tell everyone I know to go buy a Core Duo Mini as fast as they can! I use to build computers for people, but I don't know if I'll do that any more unless all they want is a custom gaming machine. But if they are into video editing, digital photography, making music, then they don't need a pc. They need a mac with iLife. And if they just want to surf the net, listen to music, watch dvd's, use email, calendars, and address books, then what they need is a Mac, not some constantly crashing pc! And if they need to use MS Office and already own the disks for the pc, they can use a Mac. And if they need a Windows only program they can use a Mac (as long as the Mac's graphics card is sufficient). But if they want a computer for a pc only game with demanding graphics (like Microsoft Flight Simulator for example) then I could build them a pc (and show them how to run OS X on it too! Wink )

Roy
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Support XP with Boot Camp Reply with quote

alpianoman wrote:
Well, I just installed Windows XP Home on my Mac Mini Duo. I have an Apple 23" HD Cinema display and it supports the resolution. Looks great. It even supports over 1920x1200.

AL

Sure does! Very Happy

I'm going to install Windows this week. It doesn't sounds like there are many problems with Boot Camp.
alpianoman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Resolution Support XP with Boot Camp Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
alpianoman wrote:

AL

Sure does! Very Happy

I'm going to install Windows this week. It doesn't sounds like there are many problems with Boot Camp.

Well, there could be a slight problem with installs. Smile
If you have tons of Firewire or USB devices plugged in (iPods, External Drives, etc..) there's a slight chance you'll get an error when running Windows Setup. I would unplug everything, and just keep it basic (Monitor, keyboard mouse, network cable) when you're installing. After that, plug everything back in.
Cyrano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot Camp is definitely a step in the right direction for Apple. I just hope they are working on a virtualization product too. Virtualization is the way of the future, way of the future, way of the future!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Has anyone tried installing Parallel's Virtualization software on the mini?

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

If I had a Intel Mini, I think I would go more this route than Boot Camp. Just for the convenience of not having to reboot my system every time I want to use something Windoze. And yeah it would likely be very very unlikely to happen, but the current set-up of partitions just seems redundant (to me at least, even though I understand the necessity of it).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot camp work seamlessly and the performance is excellent.

However, I still found some devices missing windows drivers (PCI ???) after loaded the driver cd created by Boot camp, any idea?
- 17" Philips LCD
- apple mighty mouse
- iogear kvm (DVI and USB)
Leander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) do you need an intel mac to run this boot camp stuff?

2) does it play pc games?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leander wrote:
1) do you need an intel mac to run this boot camp stuff?

2) does it play pc games?

1) yes

2) a qualified yes--some better than others.

Smile

Jamie
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Support XP with Boot Camp Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
alpianoman wrote:

AL

Sure does! Very Happy

I had the chance to install XP last night and everything is running great! Very Happy The only thing that isn't working in XP is the clock. It doesn't keep the time after a reboot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: