123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm hurt - XP on a Mac? Why did I switch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

droopy1592 wrote:
Seriously, let the BSOD go. I have been running XP for twice as long as I've been running OS X and I have twice as many "grey" screens of death on mac os x.

I have a PowerMac, iMac, MacBook Pro, and I previously owned a Mac Mini and a PowerBook. I have never had a single "grey screen" on any of these machines. The have all been absolutely rock solid. You must have something seriously wrong with your machine if you are having several of these. Did you by chance install cheap memory in your machine? Macs are exceedingly fussy about RAM. What you are describing sounds like a hardware issue. I would not put up with that, I would send it in and get it fixed.

If anything your running XP for "Twice as long" has lowered your expectations of what is acceptable performance. Crashing hard on a Mac is not normal.
meglakowski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
droopy1592 wrote:
Seriously, let the BSOD go. I have been running XP for twice as long as I've been running OS X and I have twice as many "grey" screens of death on mac os x.

I switched from windows to osx 9months ago and have never seen any grey screen of death or crash. I use the hell out of my mini as well, maybe I'm just lucky..

What the hey is a "grey screen of death" anyway? I've had my mini going crazy for over a year now, and though I get the "beach ball of death" from time to time (5 to 10 times a week? depends on processor load and if I have Photoshop Elements open!), I've never yet *had* to restart my computer. Force Quit, that's it! OMG, I love my Mac!!! After all the babysitting I had to do of my home and office PCs and helping co-workers as well when their machines "froze", well, I gotta say this sounds really weird. Droopy, get some tech support here! At least, fix yer permissions and run MacJanitor (a handy freeware program).

--sorry, just had Windows OS stress-out flashback there, they're never pretty, and the further away I get from them, the uglier they get. Using OSX can be *annoying* sometimes, it ain't *perfect*, but . . . c'mon. --

Anyhoo, I thought Boot Camp (and now follow-ons like Parallels) was a dumb dumb dumb idea at first and I had the same reax - why'd I even bother getting a Mac if you're just going to betray me by shoving Windows on it (similar to the reaction others had to the Intel switch last year, I think)? But now I see it as very very very smart. The response to this in the PC press has been so positive, it's crazy. And "average" buyers are going to go, hmmm, I could buy a Mac, it'll cost a little more but can run OSX and XP [and Linux, and of course UNIX!]. Oooooor, I could buy a Windows machine that runs XP and, okay, Linux . . . . anyway, you can see this is not going to be a rocket-science-type decision.

(BTW, my favorite quote ever on the whole oh-Macs-are-sooooo-expensive front, from Scott Kelby in Macintosh . . . The Naked Truth from 2002:
Quote:
Now, you're probably thinking "Hey, a decent iMac costs about that much [$999], and that's just the iMac -- no printer, no stereo speakers, no flat-panel monitor -- just the iMac. What gives?" What gives is that a PC isn't an iMac. If you want something better than a beige box of crap, you'll have to pay a little bit more.
)

Apple swerves, we can't demand they stay in the grid is what I suppose it comes down to.

1gen Mac mini │ PowerPC G4 1.42 GHz │ 512 MB RAM │ Mac OS X 10.4.11 │ Acomdata mini Pal 160GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: