123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallels vs. Boot Camp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Parallels vs. Boot Camp Reply with quote

I'm a long-time VMware fan, and downloaded the Parallel's virtualization beta and notice its almost feature identical to VMware Workstation. Anybody have any experience? Seems pretty compelling to have hosted OS X for most of my stuff and Win32 to run ... say Visual Studio ... in "just another window" vs. the dual boot thing. I was suprised to not see more traffic on the subject. Thoughts?

TIA,
D
jase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm got a Ubuntu OS install running on Parallels. It works well, but it's very cpu hungry. Even with the guest OS doing absolutely nothing, Parallels is using 20-50% of each core on my dual core Mini. Doing much of anything in the guest OS pegs both cores of my mini at 100%.

Now, I've got one of the Minis with VT-X disabled due to a bug(?) in the firmware. I'm not sure how much of a different VT-X would make.

As it stands now, Parallels would be great for occasional use of an OS, but I think I'd do a Bootcamp dualboot if I needed to spend a lot of time in the other OS.

I hope performance improves, because that's my only gripe with Parallels. Other than that, it's very impressive.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that a beta 2 of Parallels workstation was just posted. I am much more interested in this concept than the dual boot, which I would find inconvenient for working between Mac and PC programs at the same time.
c789a123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the discussion forum of parallels for mac osx, someone posted a vt-x
check program. After running it, my mini's vt-x is enabled! You can try if it works for you also. The CPU usage is very low when the guest os is idel, and can even play video files with VLC (without sound). Anyway, see such good performance, I placed my preorder for that software today.
jase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that had worked for me. the vtx-check program still reports mine as vt-x being supported but locked in MSR and can't be used.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that the Parallel virtualization beta is a total memory hog. I’ve decided to install Boot Camp this week, even though the idea of running Windows right in OS X is VERY tempting. That brings me to my question. Why isn't Apple going the virtualization route? They say Boot Camp will be built into Leopard, but that doesn't seem like such a big breakthrough now that it's out in the wild. There has to be more here, don't you think?
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use vmware on my linux box and had win 98, win 2k, xp sp1 and xp sp2 so that I could log on and give specific instructions for fixing jacked up windows installs on peoples machines. I loved using vmware but I never messed with virtual pc after Microsoft bought it. I think the dual boot is great for gamers who want all the cpu and memory for their games. Virtualization will get lots faster and will be the solution for people who want to play solitare or use some other legacy win32/win16 software. I am sure tons of people have xp licenses and sn's laying around although this IS against microsofts eula. I think it will be at least a year before we see anything really clean on the market too. Also when you look at paying $75-100 for a virtualization program as well as $200 for xp it gets kinda spendy. I know most home users will just rip it off though.
c789a123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I wish that had worked for me. the vtx-check program still reports mine as vt-x being supported but locked in MSR and can't be used.

Have you installed the Mini firmware upgrade from Apple?
jase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c789a123 wrote:

Have you installed the Mini firmware upgrade from Apple?

Yes. Although I didn't try Parallels until after I installed the firmware upgrade, so I don't know if vt-x worked before the upgrade or not.

Seems like there's a fair number of people on Parallels' forum that have vt-x working on the core duo, and a fair amount who don't. One of the threads suggests it's an Apple bug that they're aware of... though I don't know if that's true or not.
c789a123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the upgrade also. So the difference is not in the firmware. Can it be that the CPUs produced at different time have different microcode?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Parallels upgrade came out this morning (or at least that's when I first saw it). It apparently fixes a number of bugs.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
A Parallels upgrade came out this morning (or at least that's when I first saw it). It apparently fixes a number of bugs.
Some of the people that were getting the VT-X is present but disabled message are now reporting that with beta 2 they no longer get the message. I'm a little confused here. Confused
jase

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poster on the Parallels forum just discovered that on some Minis (mine included) that have vt-x disabled, it will actually be enabled if you sleep the mini and wake it up.

Vt-x is disabled for me before I sleep the Mini, and works after.
c789a123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
A poster on the Parallels forum just discovered that on some Minis (mine included) that have vt-x disabled, it will actually be enabled if you sleep the mini and wake it up.

Vt-x is disabled for me before I sleep the Mini, and works after.

Good to know it works for you this way. Maybe that is also how it was enabled on my Mini. Did not notice it since I have disabled the "vtx disabled" message.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallels Workstation beta 3 is out this morning. I don't have an Intel Mini yet, but I'd sure like to hear how it now works on the Mini!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: