123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the speed really worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Is the speed really worth it? Reply with quote

I own a copy of the Adobe Creative Suite 2 for both Mac and PC. Now, would it be best to invest some money and get another copy of XP for the speed increase, or just use OS X and deal with Rosetta? I have a Duo with 1GB or RAM, so it is slow, but not painfully.

I am a sorta casual user, I use Illustrator and Photoshop the most of them all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough call! Photoshop runs great with Windows on the Core Duo. I haven't had the chance to mess around Illustrator much seeing that I'm mostly using this Mac mini as an HTPC of sorts. That being said, I would probably go ahead and pick up a copy of Windows if you need to use them on a daily basis. I found Rosetta to be pretty painful, and that was with 2GB.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Photoshop is pretty tough, Illustrator isn't that bad, but overall, not as good on as it is on my PC (which has a beastly processor and FSB, so not the fairest matchup).

Can you double activate XP or is that a no-no? Never even tried it before, and I have copies of XP but they are activated on another computer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Can you double activate XP or is that a no-no? Never even tried it before, and I have copies of XP but they are activated on another computer.

To be honest, I have no idea. This was the first time I installed Windows in a long time. Laughing
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I have been a life-long PC user until September of last year. I couldn't even log out of an account on a Mac, but at that moment, I fell in love. Now, I own one and use them on a daily basis at work and at home.

I think I will stick to OS X, seeing as I really don't use my Mac for AI and AP much, I use the crappy G4's in the office (900Mhz G4's with Jaguar).
512MB of RAM, which is really respectable.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

try it you might be surprised!
just make sure if you do internet act. that Firewall and A/V are in place 1st.
Serpent
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I have copies of Norton's laying around and Ad-Aware, so I should be set there.

God I love my Mac for not needing all that junk.
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Windows XP copy Reply with quote

You may transfer your Windows XP on a another PC but need to call Microsoft in order to unlock it. They will not ask you about your name or address. If you are not shure if this is legally O.K. in your case you must refer to your Microsoft Licence. I can't give you any advice here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: