123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti Virus Software....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billygoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Anti Virus Software.... Reply with quote

I'm waiting for my Mac mini to be shipped from Apple; it will be my first Mac. Probably a dumb question! Is there any need for Anti Virus software on the Mac?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti Virus Software.... Reply with quote

billygoat wrote:
I'm waiting for my Mac mini to be shipped from Apple; it will be my first Mac. Probably a dumb question! Is there any need for Anti Virus software on the Mac?

Nope. Just keep your root account disabled and be mindful of all sudo/admin actions. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billygoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. "Just keep your root account disabled and be mindful of all sudo/admin actions." How do I do that? Do you mean make another user account? Is the default account you set up the admin account? Sorry like I said new here!
nalenb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with the root account disabled, so you are pretty safe with the default. When you go to install something that is system wide, it'll ask for your password, so things generally can't be installed without your permission. On top of that most programs like Mail & Safari won't run scripts and code automatically, making them a bit safer. This would probably stop most of the ad/spy ware. Viri on the other hand are usually written to circumvent those things anyways.

I think there are anti-virus programs for the Mac, but most people don't use or need them. If you follow the standard procedures of only using software from reputable companies and not opening attachments from email you'll be safe (no matter the OS).

On Windows, most of the ad/spy ware I've seen has been packaged with other "cool" stuff. The packaging makes the user want to install it and they will install it no matter what kinds of warnings are popped up or passwords asked for. I think on the whole, average Mac users are more savy and would less likely fall for such things. Just make sure if you have kids, they don't know your password so they won't be able to install things.
billygoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nalenb,

Thanks for all the tips! "When you go to install something that is system wide, it'll ask for your password, so things generally can't be installed without your permission." That's the fatal flaw with Windows! I'm so sick of Windows viruses and spyware that's one of the majors reasons why I'm switching to the Mac and I want use all these cool applications like iDVD, iPhoto and Garageband. I'm sure there will be a learning curve with OS X but I was bored with Windows anyways. Smile
nalenb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it a fatal flaw. Windows does ask if you really want to install something, and you can setup a non-admin account. It's just not the default. I bet a MS would get a lot more calls if they disabled the admin account on default though. There are just so many people who want to install "cool" screensavers or free games infected with ad/spy ware that they can't stop it. Viri are a different story. I can't think of a good reason why Outlook used to run scripts by default.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used an anti-virus program on any of my Macs.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
packerfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't even keep on top of it anymore on the PC side. Everyday it's a new threat or exploit!
Gavin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do symantec make Anti Virus software for the Mac then?
There must be a reason - The current version is 9 and I always think that its better to be safe than sorry, but then again what do I care - I got a Mac now!!! Laughing

But seriously, I'd like to know about Mac viruses and how often they appear... is it really true that keeping the root account disabled stops viruses?

Also - What about spyware... I used to use Adaware on the PC regularly.... id there something similar to this - or is it simply not required yet? (Wait till the Mac Mini sells billions!)

Now, another question (sorry).
Popup blockers! - I used IE6 and got used to the SP2 popup blocker... it was NICE! I have heard that the version of Safari that ships with Tiger has a popup blocker, is this correct? Any good?

Thanks in advance... (A converted PC user, using his work PC....yuk).
Still like the PC tho.

Gav
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Not enough macs? Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:

.....on the PC regularly.... id there something similar to this - or is it simply not required yet? (Wait till the Mac Mini sells billions!)

There is a portion of the PeeCee population that really finds the mac cult anoying. Its probably many rabid mac haters big asrabid mac lovers.

I don't buy the argument that there are not enough Mac's to justify spyware. If this were true 1) You would see at least the same number of malware apps for the mac that you see for the PeeCee. 2) The anti mac cround would have targeted it years ago.

OS X isnt immune, but it is a not XP either!
DoFa

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Camino and try it out. I like it better than Safari. Blocks pop ups by default. Much faster than Safari under Panther. Can't speak to the new Safari though, my copy of Tiger arrives tomorrow.

Don't worry about viruses, with Macs it's a non-issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: