123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video/mouse issue on mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Video/mouse issue on mini Reply with quote

Let me preface my question by mentioning that I've administered Windows/Unix machines for a number of years... that being said:
I've used a mac for about 5 hours of my entire life, so please forgive silly/stupid questions...

I'm having issue with static like single pixel lines running across my screen randomly, and quickly when I run a screensaver, DVD(in the black letterbox), running a Keynote 2 presentation, or sometimes quickly appears in my Firefox app when I run my resolution at 1600x1200 using the DVI connector to my Viewsonic VP201s LCD monitor running in DVI-D mode.

The odd issue still occurs if I knock resolution down to 1280x1024. Is this a common problem with the ATI 9200 driving that much screen with only 32MB of VRAM?

Mouse:

I have a real handy Gyration wireless mouse, but I'm a bit aggrevated by OS-X when I start slowing down my hand movement to select an item or field in the OS. The speed of the mouse seems to be affected by the relative velocity of mouse movement, as opposed to the distance travelled on a mousepad. I'll try to use a USB mouse and see if it makes a difference, but I'm wondering if anyone else is affected by this?
andp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a VGA input? My mini is hooked up to a 20.1" inch Dell with DVI at 1600x1200 and I have no issues. So I'm going to say the 9200 32mb can push those resolutions fine. Heck the Apple 20" Cinema has a native resolution of 1680x1050 pixels. About your mouse I'd check for the latest drivers. I'm not really aware of Gyration products. Hook up a USB mouse if all else fails.
jicon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found workarounds for both issues.

Video:

Tried VGA connection instead.

I know the DVI connector is fine, because Windows displays 1600x1200 just fine on DVI-D. I will assume there is an issue with driving a large display like that thru the ATI card.

Mouse:

I had my mouse speed set at the highest level possible... I took it down a notch, and no more issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John
andp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool so your mouse is ok but you still cannot use DVI without the flicker/lines?
jicon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no DVI-D at higher resolutions without some noticable issues at times.
andp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you fixed your mouse problem. I really never heard of Gyration products are they any good? My DVI is fine no problems watching dvd's is fine and just about everything else is ok although I do no gaming at all.
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of monitor are you having DVI problems with?

Has apple responded to these issues as this isn't the first time I've heard about problems with some LCDs.
jicon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the monitor issue affects larger displays running in DVI-D mode and is related to the refresh rate that is sent to the monitor.

According to the Apple discussions, Dell 20" and my Viewsonic 20.1 VP201s monitor are affected. There has also been reports that some Apple displays have also been affected.
lild0gie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my infocus lp350 is also affected
i opened a case with apple support,
spoke with a tech, said he would escalate it
and to call back in a week.

everyone needs to call and file a case so they can
see that its a problem
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like an apple bug... Hopefully it can be fixed by a software update or a flash of some sort..

lild0gie told me off line about this suggestion: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@585.xW9radoHONv.6@.68a5d590
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem as well... It's most noticable when I have a black backgrounded Xterm/Terminal window up and I click on the window and move it around the top of the screen. I can also see it in the black background when I'm not moving the window around. It really sucks. Running on my LCD's VGA connector is fine.
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple wants to do a warranty repair on this. Sounds bogus to me. I think its a driver issue.
andy80

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple needs to work better with ATI or the other way around to improve the drivers.

Andy
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed this issue by installing SwitchRes X and configuring 1280x1024 @ 57 hz (instead of 60) and everything seems to be fine. The fact that this was corrected with software leads me to believe that Apple can correct this (and BETTER) at a later date.

B
andy80

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running at 1280x1024@60hz and all is ok but when I first turned my mini on it was set to 75hz by default and that was not to hot. I still think something must be wrong because it seems pretty touchy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: