123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rip DVDs into Mac? How? Why? Quality? Functionality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacTheRipper doen't appear to be available for download any more. Can any of you guys send it to me?
ZeroCorpse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend either Toast 7, which will compress DVDs to fit on a single-layer DVD-R, or DVD2OneX, which does the same but slightly faster, while allowing you to select exactly what you want to compress, and save it to your HDD.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwi wrote:
MacTheRipper doen't appear to be available for download any more. Can any of you guys send it to me?

Here you go Kiwi:
http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=12658
Kiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

Here you go Kiwi:
http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=12658

Thanks ack_mac, just what I needed.
tiiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, and a thank you to all for your advice...

I'm using Handbrake, and I absolutely love it.

Ripping movies to MPEG4 at 2200 bitrate; dual-pass encoding. Works out to about 1 GB/hour. Movies look as good as the original.

Just watched the Incredibles, and it was perfect. Hardly any artifacting, that I could tell. (And there is some fairly fast action in that animated film...)

Thanks!

cb

ps: hey, Kiwi, how's the weather down there? Just heading toward autumn, eh? We visited Auckland in Nov '04, and fell in love with the place. Stayed in Devonport, and drove up to Ahipara through the Mangamukas. My kid barfed all over the car. It was great!
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiiger wrote:

I'm using Handbrake, and I absolutely love it.

Ripping movies to MPEG4 at 2200 bitrate; dual-pass encoding. Works out to about 1 GB/hour. Movies look as good as the original.

Those settings will get you pretty good results, but it takes forever to finish. Well, at least it does with my G4. Are you using a PPC or Intel mini?

BTW, the Incredibles was the first movie that I ripped with Handbrake. Laughing
tiiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:

Those settings will get you pretty good results, but it takes forever to finish. Well, at least it does with my G4. Are you using a PPC or Intel mini?

Intel... Dual Core, 2GB Ram (I max my computers out when possible to minimize regret!)

Doesn't seem like it takes too long, but then, I don't sit and wait for it... It seems like it takes about 1:1 time to encode.
Kiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiiger wrote:
ps: hey, Kiwi, how's the weather down there? Just heading toward autumn, eh? We visited Auckland in Nov '04, and fell in love with the place. Stayed in Devonport, and drove up to Ahipara through the Mangamukas. My kid barfed all over the car. It was great!

Yep, summer's nearly over. I'm in Wellington so it gets a bit stormy this time of year... the odd breezy day.

Next time you come get away from Auckland and actually see NZ - you'll love it!
rishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: storage Reply with quote

there are alot of people talking about storage issues. but and external case for ATA or SATA hd's and then buy the hd's to put in them when ever you find a good deal and use a firewire or usb2.0 connector. i would assume usb2.0 can pass the data fast enough. i use mine for music only and i dont use any compression when i rip cds, i only rip to wav or for ease of use i use .iso files and just have the files needed on every drive to sey up any computer to have a virtual drive that will mount the iso images and read the file as if it was inserted in an optical drive. so my question is what combination of software would allow complete dvd backup to a file format that appears as a whole dvd to software for playback or is there an image file and software to create a virtual drive to point dvd player software to for playback.

jeremyh wrote:
Right. I think this has been mentioned before but no matter what you do, DVDs are already compressed AND lower res that most HDTVs anyway so they're never going to be super crisp and you will almost always going to see artifacting.

My point is that your kids won't care. At least mine don't...and it doesn't require them or me fishing around (and eventually scratching) DVDs. Just go to the movies folder using FrontRow and voila!

It won't be until you see hi-def DVD that you'll get a really clean picture. It will still be compressed, but you should see far less artifacting and the imagery should be stunning. If you think archiving standard-def DVDs requires huge amounts of HD space, wait until the high-def stuff comes out. Ouch!
jeremyh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac the Ripper will do that for you. It creates TS_VIDEO and TS_AUDIO folder backups of your DVDs while also conveniently removing region coding and encryption.
rishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Mac the Ripper will do that for you. It creates TS_VIDEO and TS_AUDIO folder backups of your DVDs while also conveniently removing region coding and encryption.

thanks alot, so what playback software would just be able to point to a backup folder and run the dvd as originally intended
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rishi wrote:

thanks alot, so what playback software would just be able to point to a backup folder and run the dvd as originally intended

You can do it with DVD Player. Just point it to the TS_Video folder for the movie.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dvdplayer/
rishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is too easy, thanks, quick responses on this board any time of night, i might have to buy a new imac and hold off on building 2 towers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: