123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a newbie needs advice on purchasing a macmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wogboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: a newbie needs advice on purchasing a macmin Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

so glad to find this forum. I am currently seriously wanting to purchase a macmini but have a few questions, so I'm hoping you can give me a helping hand.

I've been using an old 333mhz imac and there is no point trying to upgrade it. The main uses I want to get out of my mac are:

ripping and burning cd's
burning dvd's of family home movies done on digital camera
watch dvd's
use an ipod, or ishuffle
surf the net, email, etc

So, what I'm asking really is, will the minimac suit my needs.

A couple of other considerations I need to make are regarding my budget. Here in New Zealand the 1.25 combo drive costs NZ$949. The superdrive costs around $1321, another $400 dollars. However, I could get an external 16x Dual Layer DVD writer for $448.

And, one last question, regarding external DVD writers for mac's. I've seen a number of PC/Mac compatible DVD writers on the market, that are cheaper than the mac only DVD writers. Firstly, would they work with a minimac and, would the software be usable or would I have to buy Toast 6, which is bundled with the mac only DVD writer.

Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions, but I thought I'd get them out of the way. Thanks in advance for any help.

regards

Luigi
idave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ripping and burning cd's
burning dvd's of family home movies done on digital camera
watch dvd's
use an ipod, or ishuffle
surf the net, email, etc"

I think the mini would be perfect for everything you stated. I have the 1.42 and do basically all the same things you want to do. You should just go ahead and get the Superdrive for 100 bucks more and don't even think of havng anything less than 512mb ram. Oh yea your in New Zeland forgot so I have no idea of the pricing there. Well you could get an external DVD and use iDVD. If you have any more questions let me know. I've had my mini now for two weeks and have no regrets on the purchase.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
andp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you new to OSX?
wogboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i've been running osX on my imac.
wogboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks idave.

Another question regarding DVD writers. I read that the Superdrive is limited 2 five regions then it stays on the last region selected. Is this likely to be the same with external DVD writers?
idave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wogboy wrote:
thanks idave.

Another question regarding DVD writers. I read that the Superdrive is limited 2 five regions then it stays on the last region selected. Is this likely to be the same with external DVD writers?

I would imagine so but don't take that to the bank. I guess you'll have to look into the specs on each external drive. Sorry not much help here!

What models are you looking at?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: