123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know how I can market my Mac Mini Accessory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maceffects

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know how I can market my Mac Mini Accessory Reply with quote

I have made over 500 of my own Mac Mini Accessoires risking my personal money, however I have only sold 19 DashMinis since the Mac Mini came out Sad And I am in need of major advice how to sell these, I am will to sell at cost now since I am losing money, I tried advertising and spent $800 with NOT a Sale from that. This is designed really well, I know I took weeks creating it perfect. The initial price of retail is $32.99, but that price while very competitive is to high so then it was $25, with no luck then $19.99, and still no luck. I know there is another product like this (only one) that came out from a large company at the same time, but it is very cheaply made, weak, and not practical (oh yeah and $35 bucks). I need some help... Here is some pictures of it...

Please Advise - I need help
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the name and the product design looks very simple.

However that is not to say that it is not a good product.

One thought for getting exposure would be to donate one to this site as a contest giveaway.

I would look at consigning them through retail stores or a well known internet retailer like OWC.
maceffects

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I don't like the name and the product design looks very simple.

However that is not to say that it is not a good product.

One thought for getting exposure would be to donate one to this site as a contest giveaway.

I would look at consigning them through retail stores or a well known internet retailer like OWC.

Well, if I knew someone at this site I would be glad to donate one Very Happy and as for OWC they are the one with only others with a product like mine (but far less quality and more money) so I don't think that would be an option. Rolling Eyes

However I can say I ran one of these over with my 1994 Buick LeSabor Full size, and it popped right back to shape, where as the other product if you get it on one piece will break with the slightest of force applied to it.

And, yes a friend from MacRumors said to post here as you guys would know best so, I don't know but help is much appreciated!
maceffects

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of posts lead me to belive I have lost $6,800 Crying or Very sad Mad PLEASE I really NEED HELP... Any ideas PLEASE!
drewd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maceffects wrote:
Lack of posts lead me to belive I have lost $6,800 Crying or Very sad Mad PLEASE I really NEED HELP... Any ideas PLEASE!

Send out review samples. Check the contacts pages of Mac enthusiast web sites. A good review is like gold. The cost of the sample that you "eat" can pay for itself many times over.

That's how I sell audio amplifiers - no advertising on my part, just my web site and online reviews. Eventually, word of mouth carried the day.

-Drew
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the undermound idea. The monitor seems tough, unless it has a really small footprint like an Apple Cindema Display. What is the material? Plexiglass? Seems pretty cool, if I needed one I would get one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maceffects

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
I really like the undermound idea. The monitor seems tough, unless it has a really small footprint like an Apple Cindema Display. What is the material? Plexiglass? Seems pretty cool, if I needed one I would get one.

Thanks for the advice guys it really means a lot to me... I have no problem giving free samples out, I have 30 I have set aside for that, I just can't find the person/site for it, I tried an Apple Store Manager who loved it and a Higher up at Apple saw it and loved it, but this means little since I can't sell them.

The material my favorite topic, the only other people with this use Weak Acrylic Plastics, whilest I use Clear Polycarbonate plastics, this class of plastics is for the really ruff and tuff items only, but since the ohter people had such a poorly built products (no im not bashing I love there other things, but it was a poorly planed idea)

Since I don't know if you are familiar with that type of plastic the dictionary def is: "Any of a family of thermoplastics characterized by high-impact strength, light weight, and flexibility, and can be used as a shatter-resistant substitute for glass."

Now this is far better the Plexiglas, I have tried using the Plexiglas stock and it was not good enough.

If someone can tell me some people or sites that might like to review these please let me know.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it is the same stuff used in safety goggles and scratch-resistant lenses in glasses.

I really hope this takes off for you, seems like you have a good product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try contaction macworld they do accesory reviews. not sure about there email adress though
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good product. It does help that you suggest many uses for it.

Some folks here have already mentioned this but I am sure it would help. Send some to the major Mac publications for a review. If a review is not possible just send them an annoucement for a new product release.

I am a part of a Mac user group and we usually give away goodies at each meeting (sometimes not even Mac related). Maybe you can find a local user group to try that out. I'd ask for one of your give-aways but it may be best if you are the one to get connected with a local user base. This way you get a chance to demonstrate the Buick trick Smile

Jaime
tortoise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Basically it is the same stuff used in safety goggles and scratch-resistant lenses in glasses.

polycarbonate?

I'd try just sending a sample to MacWorld and the other Mac magazines. Package it nicely with a little "press release" included that talks about it. A quick little review in MacWorld with a four mice rating and your website address would do wonders.

And if they dont even bother to open the box and throw it away, well at least you tried. Better to be out that one dashmini than all of them.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: send me info Reply with quote

if you send the info I would buy one raising the total to 20 making it only 480 to go.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
ranger1021

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally like it. As the others said, Macworld might be a good idea to send one.
maceffects

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: send me info Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
if you send the info I would buy one raising the total to 20 making it only 480 to go.

What do you mean?

Also, does anyone know who/where I can contact someone from MacWorld???

I did advertise on MacWorld.com before but no luck with that Crying or Very sad
LimeiBook86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a good product there. I never even thought about the review thing, though. That's a good idea. MacAddict might be pretty open to those sort of things, I'm guessing because they seem like a good bunch of folks. Send them one, tell them about it, and I'm sure they'll at least get back to you.

The best of luck to you...and I'm happy you used my graphics to show off the DashMini Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: