123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't find installed program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamrul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Can't find installed program Reply with quote

I downloaded and installed a program called Senuti to copy music from my iPod to my new Mac mini. It worked very well. But I couldn't find the program anywhere in the Applications folder and had to do a search when I wanted to launch it. The next evening when I booted up the mini, the program was gone. A search yielded a plist file in Preferences and an empty folder in Caches.
This was my first ever installation on a Mac, and I'm wondering what I did wrong. When I opened the disk image and clicked inside the window, the program simply started, unlike Windows, which would ask where you wanted the program located. Anyone had any experience of this? Are there programs written only to be used once (which was all I needed Senuti for anyway)? Appreciate any help.
nalenb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you open the disk image, you need to drag the icon to where you want it. You are doing something like running it from the zip file instead of installing it.
Kamrul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nalenb. When I opened the disk image, the window contained no icons as I knew them, only a single graphic of the Senuti program. So would I then have to move the whole window over the hard disk or target folder to install it? Would it be OK to delete the plist and other leftover files/folders from the "failed" installation? Thanks again.
Kamrul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading "Great article for new Mac mini users and switchers" in this forum, I'm beginning to understand what you mean, nalenb. I have to drag the icon or graphic to the Applications folder to install a program except for the few that come with a specific installer file. It's going to be quite a learning curve for me, after using Windows for so long.
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, on Windows a single installer has become the norm, although some applications still just have a zip file, or the download itself is the program. By and large though, most have a single program that runs an installer that does everything for you.

On the Mac I've found that the installation is commonly:
1. open the dmg and drag the stuff where you want it - like opening a zip on Windows and doing the extrac - I think TextMate is like this
2. a kind of installer that opens and gives you a dialog that instructs you to drag the icon - I think BBEdit/TextWrangler does this.
3. a full fledged installer that automatically runs when the dmg file is opened

The apps I've tried seem to be evenly distributed among those three, whereas Windows is almost always #3.

One thing I'm still getting used to is dragging. On the Mac almost everything can be dragged from one app to another, etc. On Windows I always look for a menu item, like import or add whereas on OSX you just drag it to the right place.
Kamrul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After downloading again, I opened the disk image and found that I couldn't open another Finder window to drag the icon into. But I clicked the top right button of the disk image window to open the sidebar and dragged it to Applications there. Seems to have worked. Thanks, nalenb, you've been a great help.
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try double clicking the hard drive icon? That should open another window. But any way you get it to Applications is okay.
Kamrul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked the Finder in the Dock. I've removed the Macintosh HD from the desktop to get a clean, minimalist look. But I'll remember to put it back on for the next installation. Cheers again, nalenb!
nalenb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Finder Dock icons just brings the open window to the front or spawns a new window if none exist.
Lucky8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed VLC player. It was there in my dock until I ejected it.
Should I download it again?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky8 wrote:
I have just installed VLC player. It was there in my dock until I ejected it.
Should I download it again?

If you threw it in the trash and emptied the waste basket or you can't find it. Next time drag it in to your applications folder and you should be ok. Very Happy
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: