123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDV at MacMini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: HDV at MacMini Reply with quote

I did some successful trieouts with my dual G5 2 GHz Mac on a 50" Pioneer Plasma Display. It was great to watch the result as compared to other equipment used so far. Smile: Of course the dual5 (upgraded by ATI X800 graphics) is not suitable for home cinema. Evil or Very Mad For this reason, I was just waiting for an Universal-Binary update of elgato´s EyeTV. Now it`s on the way: I have ordered the macmini core duo and will post further results soon! Rolling Eyes

Post on eyetv.com:

This version expands support for full-resolution playback of HDTV to Macs with Intel Core Duo processors — a feature previously reserved for owners of high-end dual Power Mac G5 computers. The full 720p and 1080i HDTV experience is now available on portable and consumer desktop Macs such as the MacBook Pro and the new iMac, as well as the Mac mini with Core Duo processors.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the EyeTV 200 is going to be one of the next purchases I make for my HT setup. What model do you have?
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: eyetv version Reply with quote

My version is eyetv 610 (cable) with software 2.1 (universal binary). It`s working fine with high quality on my cinema display (23"). Though tests our plasma were quite promising, I would wish to crossgrade to HDV-sat TV such as German pay TV provider "Premiere" offers since a few monthes. However, there is no hardware solution around for the Mac in Germany so far Sad
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: First tests of Mac Mini Reply with quote

After some trouble, upgrading the Mac Mini to 1 GB RAM (as posted), the Mac works fine. The downsides are:

Sad Using overscan mode, the Apple Menue Bar is not visible anymore which makes operating MacOS X and applications such as eyeTV difficult.

Sad Disabling overscan results in using only about 75% of the 50" Plasma

Sad Problems with bluetooth: There may be an interference with large Plasma displays. My keyboard or mouse (either bluetooth or radio) did only work about 5 feet from the Mac Mini. This is also true when testing the G5 - though not a Mac Mini problem, this should be treated as an issue. I have solved the problem by using a infrared keyboard from Acer (I was always wondering why they shipped that infrared keyboard with their Windows Media Center Editon PC).

Sad Problems with airport: Maybe related to the problems with bluetooth. I have solved the problem by installing an extra airport express station as relay station. Next I will install a Gigabit Ethernet connection after renovating our house next month.

Upsides:

Cool Lots of power per Watts

Very Happy Mac OS X looks and feels real fast

Very Happy All multimedia applications work very well including eyeTV which shows comparable performance as experienced on a G5 2x2 GHz.

Very Happy Very Happy absolutely low noise!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: First tests of Mac Mini Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:

Sad Using overscan mode, the Apple Menue Bar is not visible anymore which makes operating MacOS X and applications such as eyeTV difficult.

Sad Disabling overscan results in using only about 75% of the 50" Plasma

Have you tried DisplayConfigX?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13375

Smile

Jamie
agruenebaum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: DisplayConfigX? Reply with quote

DisplayConfigX is not recommended on LCD/flat TV screens. I installed it anyway to figure out if it may help -nop Sad
jeremyh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reason that DisplayConfigX isn't recommended for LCD/Flat screens? I used it to configure my CoreDuo for 1366x768. Seemed to work OK...
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DisplayConfigX? Reply with quote

agruenebaum wrote:
DisplayConfigX is not recommended on LCD/flat TV screens. I installed it anyway to figure out if it may help -nop Sad

That's news to me--what's your source for this info?

Confused

Jamie
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what DisplayConfigX has to say regarding LCD's.

http://www.3dexpress.de/#LCD
Quote:
Are LCD monitors supported?
Yes. But it doesn't make much sense to use anything but the native resolution for these. However you can use it to fix the timing, if your system doesn't detect it automatically, to get specific frame rates (e.g. 50Hz or 48Hz for DVD playback).
For example, for an Sceptre X7SV-Naga (1280*768) which came up in 1024*768 using the digital connection (the DDC info was faulty and doesn't even mention the native resolution), the following timing fixed the Sceptre to use native display:

In the monitor tab set the native Resolution to 1280 * 768.
In the resolution tab, double click the timing and enter:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense only if your LCD/Flat Panel uses an digital (DVI/HDMI) connection and your Mac picks up the native resolution #'s from it. For me, I use an RGB (actually VGA) connection so the mini didn't know what was the proper res to display and, as a result, I had to use DisplayConfigX to get the right resolution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: