123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Security Update 2006-002
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really hosed.

I tried to reinstall 10.4.5 from the combo update. I could not mount the disk image. So, I booted to my internal hard drive (my startup disk is my firewire drive). I then mounted my firewire drive (2 partitions) and installed the 10.4.5 combo to my firewire partition that I use as the startup disk. No luck. I then tried installing the security update version 1.1. Again, I had to do it from the internal hard drive as my firewire startup disk will not mount anything other than itself. No luck. I then booted from the install DVD and repaired permissions to the firewire startup drive. No luck.

When I boot to my internal drive everything works great. I can mount my firewire drive with no problem (both partitions). When I boot to the firewire drive that had the security update installed it is when things go nuts.

I did not get a chance to call Applecare because of their schedule. I will call on Friday and hope they can help. I am disappointed. This feels too much like upgrading from Win 95 to Win 98. It tanks.

I have considered a reinstall of the OS to the firewire drive but I decided to give Applecare a chance.

I really need to correct what the security update hosed. All my data is on the second partition of the firewire drive. It won't mount. Also, my original OS install is on the internal drive and it won't mount when I boot from the firewire drive.

Jaime
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way. this security update also hosed my Spotlight. It returns results but if I ask it to Show All nothing happens. And, the next time I click the Spotlight icon it forgets my last search. It is not supposed to do that.

It is just getting worse and worse.

Jaime
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
By the way. this security update also hosed my Spotlight. It returns results but if I ask it to Show All nothing happens. And, the next time I click the Spotlight icon it forgets my last search. It is not supposed to do that.

Jaime

All of this from a security update? Shocked
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
NEMMRRC wrote:

Jaime

All of this from a security update? Shocked

Exactly.

I've been searching the Apple discussions for help. I've read where others cannot even boot after installing the security update.

All I know is I had to go out of town. I turned off my mini. I came back in town. I turned on my mini. The Software Update told me there was a new security update. I installed it. I restarted. My mini went nuts.

Jaime
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the security update to the external drive using the internal drive, that way it doesn't matter if you can (yet) mount anything from the external drive... it'll be right there already.
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Copy the security update to the external drive using the internal drive, that way it doesn't matter if you can (yet) mount anything from the external drive... it'll be right there already.

I did exactly that. The problems is that when I run any OS updates from the drive with the security update installed, it does not recognize any volumes to install the update to. The installer show no drives at all when it asks to choose which volume to install to.

I have had to install the updates from the internal drive.

I'll try to post some screen captures of what I am experiencing later tonight once I get back home.

The Apple discussions site has about a half dozen threads with different issues after the security update. Some issues are as simple as icons on the desktop being different to folks that cannot even get their machines to boot to the GUI.

Like I mentioned before already. This is just too much like upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 98. I thought I was through with that kind of experience once and for all.

Jaime
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading more about this crazy security update. Some users reported at macintouch.com some really scary stuff:
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/security/index.html

Some cannot boot at all. Apple seems unble to fix at this time and is advising users to wipe drive clean and start from scratch.

Say it isn't so Crying or Very sad

Jaime
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all because they don't want to get rid of "open safe files after download"

You tell me, would you rather have to make one more click after downloading a file or go through this?
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a Mr. smarty-pants, but the lesson here is not to rush out and download security updates or point releases in the first 24-48 hours after they are released. Admittedly, this is something that I need to do better myself.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
I'm not trying to be a Mr. smarty-pants, but the lesson here is not to rush out and download security updates or point releases in the first 24-48 hours after they are released. Admittedly, this is something that I need to do better myself.

I have to plead guilty here. I had just arrived in town from a business trip and this whole safe files business has gotten so much attention that when I read the details of the Software Update's security update explanation I just trusted it would be OK. I did not bother to check what others' experience had been with the update.

I have learned my lesson well.

This weekend I may be busy rebuilding my Mac mini.

Jaime
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:

I can usually hold out on installing security updates, but I always seem to fall for OS updates. Laughing
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Applecare yesterday and since we could not get Disk Utility to run after the OS loaded they suggested Archive and Install.

Jaime
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
I called Applecare yesterday and since we could not get Disk Utility to run after the OS loaded they suggested Archive and Install.

Jaime

I sure hope that this is not a sign of things to come. I recently had a similar problem after installing this patch and ended up doing an Archive and Install as well. I spent several hours trying to get my computer working properly again...

I expected better from Apple... Maybe they should consider not trying to rush these patches out so fast and do some real quality control..
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully nothing happens from now on.

The only problem I've ever had with an update on anything, is when I updated while using other programs at the same time. I once was using Safari the same time as the update was downloading. For some reason it crashed my Mom's eMac. After I got everything back up, I did the download and install without using Safari and everything worked fine.
Now I quit every little program before updating.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
NEMMRRC wrote:

Jaime

I sure hope that this is not a sign of things to come. I recently had a similar problem after installing this patch and ended up doing an Archive and Install as well. I spent several hours trying to get my computer working properly again...

I expected better from Apple... Maybe they should consider not trying to rush these patches out so fast and do some real quality control..

Did you reapply 10.4.5 from the combo download?

I am about to that now after feeling somewhat secure that things are back to normal.

I am so glad I kept m original installation intact on my internal drive. I was able to back up my data using it prior to the Archive and Install.

Jaime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: