123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dvi or vga?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cats89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: dvi or vga? Reply with quote

Thinking of picking up the new intel mini and hooking it into my Sony HDTV. The TV has one HDMI input as well as a VGA input. The HDMI input is already being used by my cable hd box. What will be the best way to hook my mini up to the tv now? Is the VGA interface just as good as the DVI/HDMI interface or should I get some kind of split wire that will allow me to use the sole HDMI input for both the cable box and the mini?

Thanks so much, I'm somewhat new to this and want to set it up the right abd optimal way.
outlanderbz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: dvi or vga? Reply with quote

cats89 wrote:
Thinking of picking up the new intel mini and hooking it into my Sony HDTV. The TV has one HDMI input as well as a VGA input. The HDMI input is already being used by my cable hd box. What will be the best way to hook my mini up to the tv now? Is the VGA interface just as good as the DVI/HDMI interface or should I get some kind of split wire that will allow me to use the sole HDMI input for both the cable box and the mini?

Thanks so much, I'm somewhat new to this and want to set it up the right abd optimal way.

i have the 4x1 HDMI switch from www.monoprice.com. which is being replaced with the new 5x1 switch. these are the cheapest you will find but work great! when i say cheap, i mean by $200 plus. you can read what the guys over at avsforum say about it. It is the one with a remote and i have my Logitech Harmony set for it. When i hit watch a DVD it switches everything including the HDMI switch. I have my HD cable box, HDMI DVD player and Mac Mini all hooked into it with that switch and HDMI cables from them also.

looks great!

i did try the VGA on my 61" Samsung DLP and it looked good but it lacked that extra pop that HDMI had. in my opinion.

i am still working out some over and under scan issues though.
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with outlanderbz. If DVI/HDMI is an option go for it. The switchers aren't a bad price and with the remote option you can perhaps set up a macro to switch between the two. That would be ideal. IMHO

To bad your cable box/HDTV doesnt have a component input. That would be great as well and you wouldn't need a switch.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Go for HDMI/DVI Reply with quote

I haven`t had a chance to test the intel core duo so far. Instead I have hooked up my G5 dual 2 GHz with ATI X800 XT upgrade to my 50" Pioneer Plasma just for test reasons. The result: any DVD played back by DVI/HDMI (adapter) or eyetv (european cable version) output was superior to all what I have seen on my plasma screen before. Forgett any VGA conversion or what so ever. Even when playing back regular PAL-DVD or MPEG 2 Playback it was almost like HDV played back directly from my Sony HDV Handycam.

Note: This may be different when using other hardware as posted ahead. I have decided to wait for ordering my own Macmini until further reports have been posted on compatibility with HDV Video output devices.
Bobajobbob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bare in mind that you may have resolution issues connecting using dvi/hdmi. I could nto get the mini to recognise the correct resolution of my TV using the hdmi port and had to revert to VGA in order to run at native res.
miniFrench

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also debating that same question (DVI or VGA?) since my HDTV (Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK) can support both VGA and DVI (HDMI) inputs. However, VGA comes out of the box, while DVI connection requires an additional $150 card to insert in the TV... So, before I rushed to make that extra expense, I decided to "test" the VGA connection using a good quality cable between the Mini and the TV... and I've been quite happy with the result since then. The optimal resolution I'm getting is 1360x768 @ 85Hz and sharpness / colors look really nice to me as is.
So I don't think I'll invest in the HDMI card for a while... unless someone here convinces me that the difference is worth it.

PS: I also connected a multi-zone DVD player to my TV and also tested 2 types of connections, S-video and Component. Well, guess what, I don't see much of a difference either... so maybe my eyes are not worth spending money on expensive video technologies! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: