123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini + PS3 + HD Sat + 1 DVI port = AV Reciever/Switcher ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deeg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Mini + PS3 + HD Sat + 1 DVI port = AV Reciever/Switcher ? Reply with quote

Morning,

I'm at the planning stage for a revamp of our HT setup and need some assistance.

Our current LCD TV has a single DVI connection and we would like to connect multiple sources to it, these will include a Mac Mini (for iTunes and DVD playback), a HDMI satellite feed and probably a PS3. This would tend to suggest either a DVI/HDMI switcher or an AV Processor/Reciever with multiple digital video inputs.

Anyone got any experience of connecting a Mini to an AV processor rather than directly to the TV and would care to recommend a suitable processor ? Our budget is circa £800 for a AV Processor or £1500 if we decided to get a AV Receiver.

Our TV (Phillips 32PF5520D) supports 720p and 1080i HDTV and Digital PC resolutions of upto 1280 by 1024 natively. I'm abit of a newbie when it comes to HDTV so dont really understand the difference but these options are available as different sources on the TV even though they go through the same DVI connection. Would upscaling be required of the processor/receiver in order to feed the Mac Mini at 1920 x1080i rather than as a PC connection so we dont have to keep switching sources on the TV ?

sorry if its abit of a confusing post but it reflects my lack of knowledge on this subject..

TIA

Deeg
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at some of the DVI/HDMI switchers from Gefen.

Maybe something like this for HDMI
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3328

Or something like this for DVI
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2547
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a receiver, get a DVI or a HDMI switcher (these given as an example). Or you can get a AV receiver that has HDMI switching. All you would need is a HDMI-to-DVI cable from the receiver to the TV. And some models even upscale all inputs to the HDMI out, so all you have is one cable hooked up to your TV. But you wouldn't need upscaling for your Mac to run on your LCD TV. Still a nice feature to have for all other devices though.

Here is what I would recommend for your budget for an AV receiver. Either a Denon AVR 4306 or a Denon AVR 3806.

Well you can look at the reviews for Denon AVR 4306. And here is Denon's site for info on the AVR 4306 & the AVR 3806. I researched these a lot, since I will be upgrading to one of these myself in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Here is what I would recommend for your budget for an AV receiver. Either a Denon AVR 4306 or a Denon AVR 3806.

thanks for the suggestions.. i'll seek them out for a demo before deciding..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: