123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: 1.5GHz Core Solo vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

new_mac_guy wrote:
I'll be interested to see a test of MS Office 2004 running on either new Intel Mini via Rosetta. How it compares with my 1.5 MHz "old" Mac Mini....

I'd like to see benchmarks of "my old 1.5 G4" to the newer Intel ones, period! Razz
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

gobbo wrote:

If its anything like it is on the iMacs, not very well! Slow to load up, but once the app is open and running in memory its fine.

Office loads up in around 25 seconds. Once loaded, it feels just as fast if not faster than my G4.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Office loads up in around 25 seconds. Once loaded, it feels just as fast if not faster than my G4.

Ouch; you want to keep that thing active once you load it up!
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Office has always been a bloated pig. How does iWork and iLife run?
mgnovenie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Office loads up in around 25 seconds

Hmm, well on my P3 400Mhz It loads in about 10...
I was thinking of upgrading. But now...I think I'll just format.
And save the grand and buy the next mac mini version. Whenver that will come out.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

mgnovenie wrote:

Hmm, well on my P3 400Mhz It loads in about 10...
I was thinking of upgrading. But now...I think I'll just format.
And save the grand and buy the next mac mini version. Whenver that will come out.

Even a 2nd hand 1.24 will be a big surprise, as one cannot even compare a sub 2.5 Ghz PC to it in speed, and the OS is so much more user friendly. This apart of Word for Mac, which BTW opens with my 1.5 G4, 1 Gb memory in about 8 seconds. When closed, a new session is even faster, maybe 4 seconds. So don't wait any longer for an even faster system, but buy one 2nd hand I'd say, especially when using one of these old bangers at home! Laughing
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

devo wrote:

Interesting...

[been lurking in here for a while now, hi everybody]

I haven't thrown the full office 2004 suit on my new Intel Mini yet, but the office 2004 test drive (which i assume is the same - bar some nag screens) opens up in under 10 seconds...

My machine is a 1.66 Core Duo, with 2Gb and a 120G HD.

It feels pretty snappy. Generally much quicker than my 1.67 Powerbook with 2GB Ram (which is now for sale) although oddly iTunes seems to hog the machine when encoding lossless AAC files. It's a lot quicker to encode them, but seems to make the rest of the machine less responsive.

Still very impressive though. And much quicker than my 1.42 G4 Mac mini, with 1GB Ram.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tests Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:

I haven't thrown the full office 2004 suit on my new Intel Mini yet, but the office 2004 test drive (which i assume is the same - bar some nag screens) opens up in under 10 seconds...

I'm sure the extra 1.5GB doesn't hurt with Rosetta. I only have 512MB. You are right though, the nag screen probably takes a few seconds off the time.

OGN wrote:
How does iWork and iLife run?

All of the iLife apps run faster, especially GB. Pages 2 is definitely faster on the Core Duo. It's become my default word processor.
djscuttle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: New Mini is not so great Reply with quote

If you got a mac because you wanted a stable system the new intel mini probably isn't for you just yet. The reason I switched to mac last year was mainly for system stability and overall compatability between software and hardware. You know on osx when something drastically bad happens it shows you that transparent box that features like 10 different languages telling you its time to restart... well on the 1st gen mini I have seen that about three times give or take... On the intels, minis and imac models I see this nearly once a week. Also once a week final cut 5 must be reinstalled on these intel machines. The error involves finding an AGP card. Not only that but illustrator photoshop and dreamweaver frequently encounter errors and must close. This is frustrating and actually makes my G4 mini and my G3 imac se 700 way more productive overall unless I do extremely frequent saves. OSX becomes much more like windows in this way. Supposidly with adobe CS3 there will be intel support but until then.. and until all the other software manufacturers start supporting the hardware the G4 or G5 is probably going to be the best bet. Rosetta is basically a G3 emulator with about half of the G4 extensions added in. The bus speed related tasks are infact quicker on the intels but the majority of things actually seem about the same. According to apple if you have a powerbook that is 1.5 or slower then the intel will be a speed improvement. For 1.67 G4 Powerbooks the PPC is infact faster in comparison to the intels with most software applications. Well obviosly the intels are way faster because if rosetta can emulate the processor and still come out faster then a 1.5 PPC then surely it has great potential. The intels are a little on the warm side in comparison to the PPC G4. Remembeer some G4's dont even use a system fan. And according to the speciifications they can get hot enough to boil water before there are any mathmatical errors. Thats a processor that is good with heat and in a small case like the mini i would imagine those holding out better then the intels. The video ram on the 1st gen minis run at 400 Mhz which is similar to the 400 Mhz of the shared DDR2 fron the intel minis, which most later stealth upgraded ppc minis have 64 mb also. However the intels do run most games better then the stock ppc mini. However on my g4 mini i can play doom 3 with no problems and thats pretty much the most advanced mac game. Hopefully once the software support is in sink with the new intels perhaps they will become just as stable as the PPC's.. lets hope so.. remember also os9 wont run on an intel mini but will run on a ppc mini. Im suprised none of these topics have come up in the forums to help people decide which mini is better for them. The only complaint seems to be about the shared video which really isnt a big deal because they both run at the same clock speed. The biggest advantage is seeming to be the 2 gb memory capacity in my opinion.
ATIcellerator VRAM @ 12% VCPU @12%
Titom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: solo Reply with quote

Thinking of buying the solo mini mac.

Now the DVD add on is only $50, seems like a good deal.

And Apple ram ($100) to 1 GB also seems like a good deal, most places are selling ram for more then that.
Apple's design of the new mini makes manually upgrading the RAM in this machine a slightly more arduous task.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mini is not so great Reply with quote

djscuttle wrote:
If you got a mac because you wanted a stable system the new intel mini probably isn't for you just yet.

Personally i only got my original Mac mini because i wanted a Mac mini. I already had a stable system with my Win Xp box.. Since then i have bought a further 2 Macs. Again because i wanted them.

djscuttle wrote:
You know on osx when something drastically bad happens it shows you that transparent box that features like 10 different languages telling you its time to restart... well on the 1st gen mini I have seen that about three times give or take... On the intels, minis and imac models I see this nearly once a week.

What on earth are you doing to the poor machines. I have read about the screen you mention but NONE of the 3 machines i have has ever done this. Not even the Intel Mini i am currently writing this on. Furthermore, this machine has been running practically all week without being shut off.

djscuttle wrote:
Also once a week final cut 5 must be reinstalled on these intel machines.

It may interest you to read this page. Specifically the bit that says (quite clearly) "Note: The previous version of Final Cut Studio is not supported on Intel-based Macs."
For a better explanation of what they mean by previous version look HERE on the right hand side. A universal binary version is due before the end of this month. I suspect this is the reason that the program doesn't work for you.

I have been using photoshop (Adobe CS2) for the last few days without any problems whatsoever.

djscuttle wrote:
Not only that but illustrator photoshop and dreamweaver frequently encounter errors and must close. This is frustrating and actually makes my G4 mini and my G3 imac se 700 way more productive overall unless I do extremely frequent saves.

The more i type this reply the more i suspect your just winding us all up. Photoshop CS2 requires a "PowerPC® G4 or G5 processor" which in your G3 you quite obviously don't have. Also, according to Adobe the only version of photoshop they support on the Intel Mac (via Rosetta) is CS2. So you're either trying to run a rather old version of photoshop on the new Intel Mac, or you are comparing and Intel Mac running CS2 with an old version of Photoshop running on your G3. Either way - hardly a fair comparison.

djscuttle wrote:
OSX becomes much more like windows in this way.

Rolling Eyes

djscuttle wrote:
Rosetta is basically a G3 emulator with about half of the G4 extensions added in.

Explain how software that requires a G4/G5 manages to get by with rosetta then...

djscuttle wrote:
The video ram on the 1st gen minis run at 400 Mhz which is similar to the 400 Mhz of the shared DDR2 fron the intel minis

Oh Dear.

PPC Mac Mini:
Memory: 256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SRAM, supports up to 1GB One slot

Intel Mc Mini
Memory: 512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two DIMMs; supports up to 2GB

So that will be twice as fast then. Rolling Eyes

djscuttle wrote:
remember also os9 wont run on an intel mini but will run on a ppc mini.

Windows 3.1 won't run on my 3.2Ghz PC, but i aint going to loose any sleep over it. OS9 is like, 4 versions of OSX ago. time to move on....

djscuttle wrote:
Im suprised none of these topics have come up in the forums to help people decide which mini is better for them. The only complaint seems to be about the shared video which really isnt a big deal because they both run at the same clock speed.

Shared video. Ok. you got me on that one. From my experience with the Intel Mini it is both a good an a bad thing. First the good.

Core Image Support
    Smooth 1080p & 720p H264 playback
    Smooth MPEG2 Playback
    Very responsive desktop.

The bad (so far)
    3D Games Suck.

Although the only game i have tried to play is Tiger Woods 2005, it plays pretty well on my G4 1.67 Powerbook. However i can't get it to play with an acceptable screen refresh on my Intel mini. But i didnt buy Mac to play games....
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: solo Reply with quote

Titom wrote:
And Apple ram ($100) to 1 GB also seems like a good deal, most places are selling ram for more then that.
Apple's design of the new mini makes manually upgrading the RAM in this machine a slightly more arduous task.

The same reasoning i took when i ordered my mini with 2GB. I found 2GB online for about $30 less than apple wanted, but figured i would save myself a lot of hassle splitting the box open if i just let apple do it..
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: solo Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:

The same reasoning i took when i ordered my mini with 2GB. I found 2GB online for about $30 less than apple wanted, but figured i would save myself a lot of hassle splitting the box open if i just let apple do it..

What fun would that be? Wink

Actually, I think it's the smarter way to go for most people (newbies). I'll be opening mine up, and putting 2GB in myself from either OWC or Newegg. I was just trying to save a few bucks.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mini is not so great Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
djscuttle wrote:
Rosetta is basically a G3 emulator with about half of the G4 extensions added in.

Explain how software that requires a G4/G5 manages to get by with rosetta then...
Seems obvious to me, they don't need the G5 extensions that Rosetta doesn't provide, or they're sufficiently CPU intensive that they would rather miss a few sales to people who've upgraded with an aftermarket 1 GHz G3 than deal with people trying to run them on 266 MHz iMacs.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: solo Reply with quote

Titom wrote:
Thinking of buying the solo mini mac.

Now the DVD add on is only $50, seems like a good deal.

If you not planning on selling the items which are removed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: