123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Handbrake settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mello_yellow_fello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Best Handbrake settings? Reply with quote

I got a Core Duo Mac mini yesterday! Very Happy

Does anyone have tips on optimizing Handbrake for the best quality video at the lowest file size? I will be viewing these with Front Row on a 32" LCD TV.
tiiger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with MPEG4 at 2200 Bit rate, and 2-pass encoding... Looks great on our 27" CRT TV using only a DVI-to-video (composite) adapter. Probably not the best if you want really small file size, but if you think about it, storage is relatively cheap.
mello_yellow_fello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ripped my first movie (Jarhead) at the default settings and it totaled a whopping 1.2GB. I was surprised with that level of compression (first time using Handbrake). Does 2-pass encoding help with the overall quality or is it simply for correcting errors? What size are your files at 2200?
tiiger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 2200 it looks like it's about 1GB/hour, or pretty close to that. I'm not ripping all our movies to the mac; only the kids' DVDs that would otherwise get lost or scratched.

(At our house, "Finding Nemo" is more than just the title of the movie.)
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been ripping all of my *cough* DVDs in H.264. They have less artifacts (pixelation) and look better on my 27" LCD. Dark scenes and action scenes in MPEG-4 were looking very pixelated.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mello_yellow_fello wrote:
Does 2-pass encoding help with the overall quality or is it simply for correcting errors?

Selecting 2-pass encoding will help with the overall quality because it performs a slower and more thorough level of compression. This will also help with the pixelation that Curt describes.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ripping using H.264, 1100 Bit Rate and 2-pass encoding. So far everything looks great on my 37in HD LCD, even though the resolution they are ripped at is no where near HD, it still beats the pants off my old TV set.

shane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: