123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Belkin Flip for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from yesterday i use Aten KVM DVI switch
http://www.aten-usa.com/?product&cat=587&Item=CS1762
Work just fine with
1. PC Pentium 4 - DVI port
2. Mac mini
3. Apple cinema 20"
(in Bulgaria, where i live, KVM = $200)

P.S.
switch-on PC First, and macmini 2nd,
otherwise KVM don't work fine
erik2343

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good for people with non apple keyboards:wink:
trunkster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Its in the mail. Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:
Belkin emailed me a UPS barcode to print out and ship my unit back to them, and then they are mailing me a new Flip. Old flips like mine cannot be fixed, but there are some that can be fixed with software. If you have a Version number on the bottom of the unit, it can probaly be fixed via software. Mine was so old it did not even have a Version number. I'll let you know if the replacement works when I get it.

I'll be getting mine Tuesday. I would imagine since they are shipping again that it will be the "fixed" version. Also I soon will be able to test it with my new Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz. Should be a nice upgrade from the 1.25Ghz PPC. Now that I am fully committed to the Apple world, figure I would get the more advance version this time. Also I like the fact it can play 1080p h.264 without a hiccup.
trunkster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pleasant surprise today, I got my flip for Mac mini a day early. That was about where the "good" surprises ended. I am having the same exact problems as everyone is describing besides the ghosting, the video looks great, but the flip is "flipping out" and switching back and forth and doing all kinds of random things with the volume. I do have the ver111111 that sounds like from others in the forum that it is one of the upgradeable by software flips. I have already sent an e-mail to tech support so I’ll see what they say.

I really want to get this damn thing to work, it looks awesome sitting under my Mac mini and the added buttons are a bonus.

One thing that I find odd in the packing is that there is a yellow slip saying..
“Please Read First – To download the latest version of the Flip for Mac mini Switching Software please visit www.belkin.com/support/flip” and then they have a tech support number under that. Leading me to believe that I may have to upgrade it if I am having problems. Well, try it yourself the URL does not work. I was able to download the software from their support site but they only have the Windows versions posted….. I cannot believe a company would start shipping a product again without fixing it.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trunkster wrote:
A pleasant surprise today, I got my flip for Mac mini a day early. That was about where the "good" surprises ended. I am having the same exact problems as everyone is describing besides the ghosting, the video looks great, but the flip is "flipping out" and switching back and forth and doing all kinds of random things with the volume. .

I would return it and get a refund. You might want to give this one a look.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4155
trunkster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
trunkster wrote:
A pleasant surprise today, I got my flip for Mac mini a day early. That was about where the "good" surprises ended. I am having the same exact problems as everyone is describing besides the ghosting, the video looks great, but the flip is "flipping out" and switching back and forth and doing all kinds of random things with the volume. .

I would return it and get a refund. You might want to give this one a look.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4155

Yeah I saw that on the front page today, doesn't look as nice as the belkin one but if it works it would be better. Though I bought the flip from belkin so I'm sure they are going to push for fixing it before letting me return it.
ajorda11507

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pibeandres wrote:
ophelia174 wrote:
techster82 wrote:

The volume randomly goes up and down while using the Mac Mini. I will be surfing the net or typing on the min, and all of the sudden the box comes up on the screen and the volume goes haywire. Really irritating.

mine does the same thing! along with randomly muting, ejecting, and switching computers. does yours ever switch computers without prompting?

I've had the same problems with 2 different Flips. I bought them at CompUSA. The first kept switching between PCs ( a mini and an HP). The volume kept going down on its own too (on both PCs). I tried changing the keyboard/mouse, the speakers, etc. I went to CompUSA, got another one....same problems. I swapped out my sound card on the PC, swapped out the USB2 card, reinstalled XP (I realllly wanted to make the KVM to work), nothing worked. I called Belkin-they'd never heard of the problem. I ended up getting an Iogear USB KVM.

Prior to finding the comments posted in this forum, I purchased (03/06/06) the Belkin Flip use with my new Mac Mini (Core Duo) and Windows PC. Like many others, I fell in love with the design and concept. To my surprise, however, my initial experience with this device was a nightmare. The device would start doing random things on its own like automatically switching between PC & Mini, changing the volume settings (up, down & mute), and if I had a CD in the Mini, it would also eject it. Needlesstosay, it was very frustrating. After reading some of the comments in this forum, I found out that I wasn't alone and it does not appear Belkin has found a solution to this problem, yet. After trying a few things (ie. uninstalling/installing software, etc.), which turned out to be unsuccessful, I decided to swap the connections on the Flip so that the #1 cables connected to my PC instead of the Mini and the #2 cables connected to the Mac Mini instead of my PC. Thus far, to my surprise, the erratic behavior has stopped - Horray!! The only problem I now have is with the touch-sensitive buttons. Sometimes, they don't respond when pressed. As a workaround, I simply use the Flip software or keyboard to switch/control computers. To me, this problem is minor in comparison to the ones I experienced initially with this device. I do hope, however, that Belkin can resolve this matter quickly so that this device can work properly.
xnooby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: I got my replacement unit. Reply with quote

Belkin sent me a replacement unit. The old problems are fixed, but now when I type an "e" in Windows, it brings up the Windows File Explorer. I assume this is their "Flip" software, rather than hardware - but at this point I don't care anymore.

Ironically, I turned my Mini into a headless Subversion server, so now it doesn't need a keyboard or screen anyway. I am using Wake-On-Lan to wake it up, svnserve for Subversion, and VNC for remote desktop.

I had much higher hopes with it coming from Belkin, and they seemed to give it the old college try, but I think they should stick to making routers. For me the jury is in, and the Flip For Mac is junk.
ophelia174

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: still not working Reply with quote

I sent my flip back to belkin where they re-worked it and sent it back to me along with upgraded software. hooked it all back up and i am having the exact same problems.
The people at belkin say that everyone else who has received the re-worked flip arent having any issues with it and that apparently its just me.
but i'll try that cord switching thing, its about the only thing i havent tried yet. i am definitely getting ready to just get my money back and get a new one. hopefully belkin will refund me as it is porbably too late to return it to compusa
NorthCoastAnne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Success with the Belkin Flip Reply with quote

I had the same problems many have mentioned here. Random switching, changes in audio settings, etc.

My 30 minutes on the tech support line was rewarded with the solution. I only followed the suggestion because someone had already posted it here. And not to give Belkin too much credit. They denied that this is a known problem, and blamed it on the Mac. They said "maybe swapping the cables would work."

IT DOES WORK!! Swap the cable connections. Put cable 2 (the long one) on the Mac mini. The shorter cable 1 goes to the other computer. For me, that meant that the Mac mini is no longer on my desk. Whether it's the cables, or the Flip was too close to the monitor or wireless keyboard, I don't know. It works. Almost 24 hours of perfect operation with the Flip.

Thanks to everyone who has posted about the Flip. It was good to know I wasn't crazy!

Anne
maphead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: swap cables? wtf? Reply with quote

My new (hours old) Flip is flipping out as well.
Scouring online fora for answers shows up this cable swap work around in several places...
So that begs the question:
Why purchase this unit for form factor and then sacrifice the 'beauty' by swapping cables?
Besides swapped they won't reach in my set up .... Belkin seems lame on this issue.
maphead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Belkin Tech Support still in denial about Flip Reply with quote

Perhaps a better name would be the Belkin FLOP.

Called Belkin support (since the webpage on their 'read me first' note in the Flip box is 404!).

After 36 minutes on hold it appears that Belkin is still poking about randomly to solve Flip problems. No indication was given that they are addressing the issues product-wide instead of case-by-case.
The techie directed me to a download page that offers an older version of the switching software than came in the box. This is another indication that Belkin is not really of one mind about this product.

While you are on hold, they do take time to play a recorded msg about how great it is to buy a Flip, though. Yippee skippy.

If they get back to me before I leave for the big city to return said Flip - I may entertain helping them continue to develop their product. Right now it looks like this Flip is headed back to the store shelf for some other unsuspecting guinea pig to install, troubleshoot and do R&D for Belkin.

Sucky thing.
Idlehand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same issues with flipping back and forth on its own, volume and such. I to got the run around from belkin about they are aware of the problem and will contact me when a fix is available. So i decieded to see what i can do to fix this. Come to find out the problem is the touch buttons on the front of the unit. I unplugged the buttons from the board. installed the software. Now it works like a dream. been almost 2 weeks with no issues. just thought I would pass along this info to you all.
maphead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: more flip-in delays from Belkin Reply with quote

Due to the underwhelming response from support AND the out-of-the-box malfunctioning of the Belkin unit we are happy to report that the retailer had no problem with our return. Too bad Belkin let this product out of their shop before it was ready to do what they advertised.
The Belkin site states that Flip units are not available due to consumer demand. Perhaps they are just sitting on another release until they get the units functioning. email from support states that another patch is due out next week. (that would be 17APR06) sheesh.
Try iogear or Avocent for useful alternatives.
mike555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waist you time ordering the "old" flip when Belkin is coming out with a new one with remote control....... I had to return my flip when it didn't work, I hope the new one is better when I get it ........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: