123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: 1.42GHz G4 vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangtown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
Most folks here will most likely go ahead and max out the new Mac mini with 2GB of RAM. So that 80MB of shared RAM will account for a whopping 4% of system memory. Shocked (Well actually a little less than 4%.) That's hardly something I would lose sleep over.

Yeah, in my case that's exactly what I did. I was running the G4 mini with 1 gig which seems to work great. But the more I thought about running the Core Duo system with 1 gig, the more I decided to go to 2 gig instead for several reasons.

Obviously cost wasn't one of them. Mad Shocked Laughing

I've also heard (I think it was anandtech) that the Intel macs use more memory than the PPC macs. Personally, I wonder if they are more efficient in keeping things in memory rather than dumping stuff to disk (which would help performance rather than hinder it). As long as memory is available, this is potentially a good thing unless they somehow need more memory for some other reason.
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

hangtown wrote:
I've also heard (I think it was anandtech) that the Intel macs use more memory than the PPC macs.
That's correct. You have to run a fairly large extra program (Rosetta) and you have part of the memory allocated to the video
Quote:
Personally, I wonder if they are more efficient in keeping things in memory rather than dumping stuff to disk
Why on earth would you think that? It's the exact same operating system, the code is identical except for some device drivers. Both computers allocate memory the same way and use it with equal efficiency.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
That's correct. You have to run a fairly large extra program (Rosetta) and you have part of the memory allocated to the video

If you max out the mini to 2GB, you probably won't even notice the memory being put aside for video. I think 512MB is the new 256MB when it comes to the mini. You are going to need more.
iLife's a Bitch!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
resuna wrote:

If you max out the mini to 2GB, you probably won't even notice the memory being put aside for video. I think 512MB is the new 256MB when it comes to the mini. You are going to need more.

And in that case I think there's no reason not to go 2GB. What resuna said is true, at least for now with Rosetta. 1GB will be perfect in the future for basic apps in multitasking, but 2GB will help with Rosetta now (until everything is Universal), and especially with the syphoning integrated graphics on the Mini. Plus it's 2GB, why not? lol
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
And in that case I think there's no reason not to go 2GB.

I agree, if you can afford it up front. Especially when you consider that to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB, you'll have a pair of chips on your hands to deal with.

Smile

Jamie
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
resuna wrote:

*sigh*

Yes, I think that's my point. I was just verifying that the requirements for the new OS are higher, and the Mini itself needs more memory, and these requirements are real. Speculation about a "more efficient OS" are just bunk... there's no "new OS", it's just new drivers.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
*sigh*

Yes, I think that's my point. I was just verifying that the requirements for the new OS are higher, and the Mini itself needs more memory, and these requirements are real. Speculation about a "more efficient OS" are just bunk... there's no "new OS", it's just new drivers.

It's not the drivers, it's the integrated graphics that makes the Mini basically need more RAM.
And it is a more efficient OS, especially in the fact how it manages hard drives and the file system.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It's not the drivers, it's the integrated graphics that makes the Mini basically need more RAM.
I didn't say the drivers made it need more ram.

I said the drivers were the only difference between the source tree for Tiger on PPC and Tiger on Intel.
Quote:
And it is a more efficient OS, especially in the fact how it manages hard drives and the file system.
It's the same OS. Tiger on PPC and Tiger on Intel are the same OS.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always defending OS X always on CNET for some dumb reason. I did read your post wrong, I read it as compared to XP. My mistake, so disregard more efficient OS, because it's the same OS. Still performs wonders.

But still it's not the requirements for the OS on the Intel machines that need more RAM, it's the integrated graphics on the Mini.
Maybe just a slight amount for Rosetta if you are running non-universal programs. Otherwise when everything turns universal you won't need as much RAM, because it will all be the same.
No different from a iMac G5 to a iMac Core Duo with memory usage (at least with universal apps).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Otherwise when everything turns universal you won't need as much RAM, because it will all be the same.
Since everything isn't universal yet, Rosetta's still part of the problem. Smile

I'm talking about now. By the time everything's Universal (including Photoshop), you may be able to buy a Mini with a Radeon x1300. Smile

(PS: compared to FreeBSD, Mac OS X is still pretty bloated and inefficient)
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

I'm talking about now. By the time everything's Universal (including Photoshop), you may be able to buy a Mini with a Radeon x1300. Smile

So I might wait another year or so, sell my mini to one of my (by Garageband and iPhoto impressed) friends and buy one of the newest mini's! Actually I'm quite happy with my G4 1.5 mini, which I don't think is sluggish at all, I don't even need my external FW disk for booting from. The 1 GB stick helps of course! Wink
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at reviews, examined the benchmarks and asked a number of questions on forums like these to try to help me come to a conclusion about buying now or later, and if now, which Mini. I'm inclined to buy now, but I want to play with one first. Fortunately, I'm taking a trip that will bring me near an Apple store in Virginia. I'll play with the Minis there and make my decision from that. But like others have said, it isn't a must-have. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with my current 1.42 Mini setup (with 1 gig of RAM and the external miniStack drive as startup). Smile
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I have looked at reviews, examined the benchmarks and asked a number of questions on forums like these to try to help me come to a conclusion about buying now or later, and if now, which Mini. I'm inclined to buy now, but I want to play with one first. Fortunately, I'm taking a trip that will bring me near an Apple store in Virginia. I'll play with the Minis there and make my decision from that. But like others have said, it isn't a must-have. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with my current 1.42 Mini setup (with 1 gig of RAM and the external miniStack drive as startup). Smile

Fox, I take it you will be in Northern Virginia? We have several Apple Stores here (Tyson's Corner, Arlington)..

Will you mostly be using universal apps, or will you need to use Rosetta? I am planning on waiting about 1 more year (I have the 1.5GHZ stealth mini with 1GB of RAM and boot off an external drive as well) before I consider buying. I am just not sure that there will be a big enough performance gain to justify the Intel Mini. I guess you cannot really go wrong either way...
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it really be a major benefit to the processor and the system as a whole to have 2GB of RAM? Seems like 1GB would do the job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Would it really be a major benefit to the processor and the system as a whole to have 2GB of RAM? Seems like 1GB would do the job.

1GB should be enough for most tasks, but I'm inclined to say max it out while you're doing the upgrade. Don't forget, some of that memory is going to the dedicated video.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: