123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question - MacMini or iBook?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geegee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Question.... lol Reply with quote

noam17 wrote:
you can't work/play/edit video on the mini while burning. Is this true?
Thanks!

I've never burnt a DVD on the Mac mini but while burning CD's I was able to work with other applications with no problem.

Smalldog.com is my favorite Apple Store!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Question.... lol Reply with quote

geegee wrote:
I've never burnt a DVD on the Mac mini but while burning CD's I was able to work with other applications with no problem.

Same with burning DVD's. I've had no problems working with other applications.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money isn't an issue get the iBook but make sure your get AppleCare.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an interesting link about the iBook today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/08/apple_widescreen_ibook/
noam17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Question About port in iBook and if MacMini has it. Reply with quote

Hi,
I have noticed that there is a port on the right hand side of the iBook, and a suspect its an RCA video connector so you can connect the iBook to a TV easily. I have looked all over the apple website and have not found anything about this. Is this port what I think it is?
Another question that comes up is - does the mini have this port?

In a totaly different direction --> will MacMini run Mac OS X v.10.4 "Tiger" properly and fast? Will the iBook do this? will the iMac G5 do this?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer there questions.
Thank you!!
andp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini doesn't have the video port like the iBook. If you want to hook your mini up to a TV you can use the DVI to RCA converter.

thishttp://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9267G/A
noam17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to Answer Reply with quote

So what I thought that port was (RCA video connector) - it is that?

Thank you!!
andp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Answer Reply with quote

noam17 wrote:
So what I thought that port was (RCA video connector) - it is that?

Thank you!!

I'm not sure what you mean? To get RCA video with the mini that's all you need.
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'mystery' connector on the iBook is for the power supply!

As is explained at length on Apple's site, to get video signals (both composite rca and s-video) to hook up to a tv the correct adapter has to be bought separately for both machines.

iBook needs the "Apple Video Adapter" (aka "Apple mini-vga to Video Adapter")

As explained by andp the Mac Mini needs the "Apple DVI to Video Adapter"

Adam.
noam17

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the power supply - the connector is on the righthand side but farther back. I know that in previous iBook's this was an RCA connector. Is this one too?
Thanks!
aplowe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noam17,

People are going to get irritated if you refuse to accept their answers.

CONNECTOR:-

I am LOOKING at an iBook and there IS ONLY ONE CONNECTOR on the right hand side. As I have already stated it is the connector for the power supply. You can see it clearly in this image:

http://images.apple.com/r/store/gallery/ibookg4/images/ibookg4_rightside_2004.jpg

All iBooks have power connectors that look like RCA sockets. No iBook has ever had a built-in RCA connector for composite video, the only alternate tv interface was an A/V connector on some of the G3 clamshell models.

MINI VS. IBOOK?

Performance of any task on an iBook will only be as good (or bad) as that on a Mini.

The Mac Mini was designed as an iBook without a screen or keyboard and IT IS. Apart from the different graphics hardware* there really are NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES between the Mini and iBook!

Tiger on iMac, iBook or Mini:-

Tiger will, of course, work on any of these machines.

The iMac G5 is a much faster machine and Tiger will likely be a more satisfying experience on such a machine (if you can afford to buy one).

Neither the Mini nor the iBooks graphics systems fully support 'core image', so some bits of Tiger will look less exciting on them. Since the machines are also slower than the iMac in all other areas, Tiger may be less of an improvement over Panther on these models (I'd expect it to 'feel' about the same).

---

* Since I have no intention of answering any more pointless questions from you, I'm not going to introduce more technical terms here. I'll leave it to you to read about the different graphics hardware on Apple's website!
noam17

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. About what you said I had no intention to offence I simply thought we were talking about somthing else.
Thanks again very much! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: