123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How will the Mac Mini look when hooked up to my Plasma TV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi211

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: How will the Mac Mini look when hooked up to my Plasma TV? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini to hook up to my Hitachi Plasma TV. I tried hooking up my iMac G4 flat panel (via the RGB input on my plasma) and it looked terrible! Since the Mac Mini has a DVI output, will it look good hooked up to my plasma's DVI input? Thanks in advance for the help!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an early report about the improved capabilities of the new Intel Mini:

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/02/28/the-intel-macmini-is-perfect-for-hdtv/

All signs are good so far, and my guess is to say yes. But given that the machine is so new, I'd get the exact specs for your display and do some investigating to ensure that your specific desired resolution is supported.

Smile

Jamie
Tenchi211

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Picman for the info. I'll be checking my Hitachi manual to see if it's compatible. I read in it that my plasma has a 1024X1024 resolution so hopefully it will work well with the Mini.
EpaL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How will the Mac Mini look when hooked up to my Plasma T Reply with quote

Tenchi211 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini to hook up to my Hitachi Plasma TV. I tried hooking up my iMac G4 flat panel (via the RGB input on my plasma) and it looked terrible! Since the Mac Mini has a DVI output, will it look good hooked up to my plasma's DVI input? Thanks in advance for the help!

Just my subjective opinion on this. I have a Core Duo mini running 1280x768 resolution hooked up to a Pioneer 436HD 1024x768 43" plasma and it looks fantastic. I sit about 3.5meters back from the TV and I can surf, read email, watch movies etc with the Apple Wireless keyboard and mouse (which i'm returning btw as the wireless range sucks ass). I've turned the default font size up a bit in Safari to make things easier to read, but its not that much of a struggle to be honest (although my eyesight is quite good).

The only problem I had was with HDMI/DVI inputs. I found that the Plasma could not properly figure out the resolution when I used the HDMI/DVI inputs, even when using DisplayConfigX. However, when I plugged in the mini into the VGA/"Computer" port, it works absolutely perfectly. I think this is because most screens are setup to only accept 720p/1080i type resolutions via DVI/HDMI. The VGA port is set up to receive arbitrary "PC" resolutions. Anyway, YMMV but I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Ed
Tenchi211

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info Ed! I can't wait to get a Mac Mini to try it out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: