123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: 1.42GHz G4 vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Mac mini: 1.42GHz G4 vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo Reply with quote

Mac mini: 1.42GHz G4 vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo
Friday March 3, 2006
Posted by: Brian

I put together a few benchmarks comparing a 1.4GHz G4 Mac mini to the new 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini. So far, I've been able to compare the two with Xbench, Geekbench, and Cinebench. I haven't had a chance to test our 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini yet, but based on these numbers, the new Intel-based Mac minis are looking good. On another note, I've received some mail asking about boot times for the new minis. I can report that the new 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini boots up in 28 seconds. My 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini takes around 46 seconds.

For the scores go to this page...
http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/451.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
SStreet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the benchmarks. I'm impressed with the CPU -- no so impressed with the video -- but I guess we all figured that.

I am curious; however, now a PPC app benchmarks on a G4 vs. the Intel... [ to really see what Rosetta ] does do the system and app.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStreet wrote:
Thanks for the benchmarks.

You're welcome! I am still working on a full review for the new minis, but wanted to post the scores. I hope other people will post their scores here.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

Not to complain about the benchmark itself, but wouldn't it be more accurate if both computers had 512MB? (which is the default configuration anyway)

I know the GMA950 eats about 80MB of the system RAM, but that's not the fault of the G4 Mac mini now, is it? Wink
icbmhux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Can you run quick test? Reply with quote

Brian-

Have you tried to download quicktime HD samples from quicktime.com? It would be interesting to see if the new mini would be able to play these. I know my "old" mini could not. Can you give it a shot?

HUX
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Not to complain about the benchmark itself, but wouldn't it be more accurate if both computers had 512MB? (which is the default configuration anyway)

That's a valid point. I simply didn't have the time to pull the stick. That's why I hope other people will post their scores. Maybe this will jumpstart that process. At least this gives us some sort of baseline. Charles is working on a more complete list.

icbmhux wrote:
Have you tried to download quicktime HD samples from quicktime.com? It would be interesting to see if the new mini would be able to play these. I know my "old" mini could not

1080p plays great. It's not choppy at all.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

That is definitely good news! Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Brian wrote:

Very impressive..
icbmhux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
Brian wrote:

Very impressive..

Yes - thanks for the test. That is great news.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: World of Warcraft? Reply with quote

What I'd like to see is Handbrake timings (say, with H.264/AAC, Quality 60, DVD resolution settings) and World of Warcraft FPS comparisons.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I know the GMA950 eats about 80MB of the system RAM, but that's not the fault of the G4 Mac mini now, is it?

I'd much rather see comparisons of both systems maxed out (which would be the configuration a lot of us would eventually end up with anyway).

[ It's not the Intel Mini's fault that the G4 only supports 1GB. Wink ]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erik2343

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also Like to see WOW benchmarks (hopefully semidecent) Confused
ongnoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Core Solo Xbench results Reply with quote

I had the chance last night to run a test with my 1.5GHz CS.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=159011

The computer overall is very snappy, open UB apps in one or two bounces mostly. I was also able to play a few HD clips. 720p played flawlessly fullscreen, not so true with 1080p though. Boot time is under 30 sec.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 512MB vs 1GB? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

I know the GMA950 eats about 80MB of the system RAM, but that's not the fault of the G4 Mac mini now, is it? Wink

Let's put that into perspective. Most folks here will most likely go ahead and max out the new Mac mini with 2GB of RAM. So that 80MB of shared RAM will account for a whopping 4% of system memory. Shocked (Well actually a little less than 4%.) That's hardly something I would lose sleep over.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

You're welcome! I am still working on a full review for the new minis, but wanted to post the scores. I hope other people will post their scores here.

First of all, thanks for the benchmarks!

It would also be nice to see the new 17" iMac Core Duo included in the benchmarks too. This would provide us a reasonably close comparison between the Intel GMA950 VS a ATI Radeon X1600. Obviously the ATI would win, but it would helpful for those concerned about the GMA950.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: