123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini as a web server.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazsummers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Mini as a web server. Reply with quote

I was really worried about the mini running hot. But I have been watchng it run as a home server 24/7. WITHOUT a monitor conencted to it its barely pulling any current at all and it is always cold to the touch.

Seems like it could be used as web server. Looking for justification either way.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mini as a web server. Reply with quote

chazsummers wrote:
I was really worried about the mini running hot. But I have been watchng it run as a home server 24/7. WITHOUT a monitor conencted to it its barely pulling any current at all and it is always cold to the touch.

Seems like it could be used as web server. Looking for justification either way.

It could DEFINITELY be used as a web server. As long as you are ok with the slow HDD and have a plan to back it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if your web server was on a T-1 or better connection, and was gettings lots of hits, the Mini might not be able to keep up. But for non-professional, cable/DSL connections, the Mini should be fine. It'd be a real step up from my web server (233MHz Pentium II). I should try to figure out the cost savings in power consumption by upgrading to a Mini!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I should try to figure out the cost savings in power consumption by upgrading to a Mini!

I read somewhere that the mini draws like 20 watts of power. Is that about right?
SStreet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Quote:
I should try to figure out the cost savings in power consumption by upgrading to a Mini!

I read somewhere that the mini draws like 20 watts of power. Is that about right?

Seems right; power supply is listed as rated for 83 watts. Would be reasonable to believe that only 50-60% would be used by the system by design.

As compared to your P-II which draws 60-80 watts on it's own (no drives, network or video).

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So assuming it's 70 watts for your current setup and 20 for the mini, that's a savings of 50 watts. Times 24 hours = 1.2 kilowatt hours per day. At my local rate of $0.15 per kwh, that's a $0.18 per day.
John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$0.18 a day? So a $500 mini would pay for itself in under 8 years? Maybe performance, better software and QUIET are the reasons to trash my old PII. As I type this I can hear it running from inside my wiring closet. The only time I hear my Mini is when I insert or eject a disk. Maybe once and a while I'll notice disk access (optical). Sorry: different thread!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was really worried about the mini running hot.

Mine always feels cool to the touch. Tomshardware has an old article about Mac mini power consumption. 20watts for the Mac mini vs. 160 watts for an Intel based PC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050216/apple-mac-mini-computer-06.html
iLife's a Bitch!
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Less than 1/8 Amp. Reply with quote

We keep minis connected to APS power reboot units with built in current meters. We probably have 15 such power-strips running nothing but minis. Non of them have monitors and almost all of them have empty CD ROM drives.

With 8 minis plugged into each of the units, it is very rare for them to pull 1 amp total on the entire unit.

Dang little power.
minime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Less than 1/8 Amp. Reply with quote

jaymenna78734 wrote:
1 amp total on the entire unit.

Dang little power.

1amp....are you sure?
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Less than 1/8 Amp. Reply with quote

minime wrote:
jaymenna78734 wrote:
1 amp total on the entire unit.

Dang little power.

1amp....are you sure?

100% Positive. I just checked 6 separate power strips with 8 headless minis. Highest was 1.3 amps
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay how many amps would the same number of Xserve G5's pull?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
dbatrium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mini as a web server. Reply with quote

The more I see of the Mac mini the word amazing continually comes to mind, a sweet neat piece of engineering and form design.
JJ Very Happy
jaymenna78734

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Xserve Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Jay how many amps would the same number of Xserve G5's pull?

I don't have enough of the same kind of them into a single switch to know exactly. But the xserves come with a nice Server Monitor App thats lets you peek.

On a single g5 2GHZ no monitor and a light server load Im looking at about 4-5 Amps per xServe (unless I worked my volt/Amp/watts math backwards)
aplowe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Less than 1/8 Amp Reply with quote

Folks,

To avoid the confused posts that usually follow this sort of thing it's worth remembering that we don't all have the same mains electricity. Power consumption is generally an easier way to communicate; since you are in the US:-

1.3A x 110V = 143W for 8 minis.

So a mini used as a web-server consumes less than 18W.

I'd imagine the extra 2W used during the Tom's hardware test was the radeon 9200 doing some work (clearly not quake3 type work, but something!).

I think your calculation of current drawn into an Xserve G5 is some way off. The current Xserve G5 PSU is quoted as drawing a maximum of 4A at 110V. A single processor machine must draw much less current than this, especially when it's only being used as a web server.

According to apple's numbers for the older (less efficient) Xserve G5s:-

Max power consumption of standard single 2GHz model = 170W
=> max current = 170W / 110V = 1.55A

It doesn't really matter, since we would have to compare the performance of the machines for such numbers to be useful.

Adam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: