123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got a iMac! Should I get a Mac Mini too?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camination

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Just got a iMac! Should I get a Mac Mini too? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a mac mini and a iMac? How easy is it to network? I just recently switched from PCs, so I'm not sure. Thanks everyone!

Agloco got me too . . . damn John Chow!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say wait for the new iBook (MacBook), that way you would have something more portable.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a iMac! Should I get a Mac Mini too? Reply with quote

camination wrote:
Does anyone have a mac mini and a iMac? How easy is it to network? I just recently switched from PCs, so I'm not sure. Thanks everyone!

I have two iMacs (one 17" G5 and one 20" Intel), two Mac Mini's (1.25GHz, RevA), and a 12" iBook. Sharing files, printing, etc is very easy and straightforward.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a iMac! Should I get a Mac Mini too? Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I have two iMacs (one 17" G5 and one 20" Intel), two Mac Mini's (1.25GHz, RevA), and a 12" iBook.

camination, you have a lot of catch-up purchases to make.

Laughing

Jamie
camination

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha . . . do you ever feel guilt for having more than what you actually need?

I'm feeling it right now by wanting a mac mini to watch my "recorded" videos on my big screen downstairs . . . .

Agloco got me too . . . damn John Chow!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camination wrote:

Who says I have more than what I need??? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
camination wrote:

Who says I have more than what I need??? Smile

If I had my way, my house would be a Mac haven.
Talking about a new Mini in my home theater, a PowerMac quad for my serious desktop and storage and a iMac for a public computer (with a bunch of restrictions lol). Plus I would get a MacBook Pro for my travels and just for floating around the house.

Now that doesn't seem like too much to me..... lol

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the MacBook has been released!

if I had the money, I will have a Mac Mini Dual Core as my entertainment hub, music, movies, general net surfing.

I will get a MacBook (Black model) or MacBook Pro (17 Inch) for my work and serious stuff.
nascar42

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac mini is a great step backwards from the iMac. The iMac offers an adult sized hard drive and modern era graphics in a small footprint. The Mac mini setup ends up being a mess of bits and cords and cables.

File sharing is when files are used by more than one person. Even in that case a Mac notebook would be a better choice than a mini. Anything would be a better choice than a mini.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: I need money Reply with quote

Yeah I only have $600 saved up yet.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nascar42 wrote:
Anything would be a better choice than a mini.

Wake up on the wrong side of the track again? Smile

(BTW, I agree that the iMac's are WONDERFUL machines...but for a low-cost Mac, the Mini does quite well and definitely fits a niche)
nascar42

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac mini is only low cost until you starting adding the peripherals that make it usable.

What Apple could do that would be cool would be to make a Cinema Display with a six inch by two inch cutout in the base so that the mini could be slipped right under the monitor. That would make for one neat looking desktop.

Or one of the aluminum benders who advertise on this site could make the piece for the DIYers.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nascar42 wrote:

File sharing is when files are used by more than one person. Even in that case a Mac notebook would be a better choice than a mini. Anything would be a better choice than a mini.

The Mac mini is a great step backwards from the iMac. The iMac offers an adult sized hard drive and modern era graphics in a small footprint. The Mac mini setup ends up being a mess of bits and cords and cables.

Quote:
The Mac mini is only low cost until you starting adding the peripherals that make it usable.

Dude, I don't even know where to begin! Rolling Eyes
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone who wants a Macintosh home computer, with a 20" Apple brand display and a clean desktop, including wireless keyboard and mouse, the iMac is the clear winner, with a 20% faster processor, at least 2.5 times the internal disk storage, 2-4 times the video memory, and a video processor capable of running 3-D games, for roughly the same price as a 20" Apple display-equipped Mini. And with much more easily upgraded RAM.

$1,847 Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, wireless keyboard & mouse, 20" Cinema Display,
Intel GMA950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

$1,859 iMac 2.0 Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, wireless keyboard & mouse, 20" display,
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
$1,934 with 256MB GDDR3 memory.

But the Mini is the clear winner in other situations, especially where 3-D games aren't a high priority:

- Where an existing monitor, keyboard and mouse will be reused, or purchased new at much less than Apple pricing

- Where someone wants a 23-24" 1920 x 1200 display

- Where the buyer may want to try the Mac environment before investing in a Mac Pro and doesn't want to lose money on the monitor by reusing it.

- Where it will be fit into a home theater

There are probably other good reasons I've forgotten off-hand, but neither the Mini nor iMac is right for everyone.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
nascar42

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I can agree with the "Mac mini as home theater" bit. A 30 USD DVD player will do the same thing and do it better.

The Apple DVD player is primitive at best. PowerDVD for Windows is at least ten times better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: