123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils New Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJagor92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave some comforting advice for those who just switched. Believe me when I say your mini is fine for what it does now. You wouldn't have bought it if it wern't. Me, well I got my mini for christmas and it Perfectly fine for what it does. The main reason yall want a new one is for the novelty. My plan is to see what Apple decides in a year or two. By then, Apple will probably have something brand new that evryone will want to get.
2Gb Ipod Mini
Jbl Speaker/Ipod Dock
BT Keyboard/Mouse
60 Gb iPod Video (stolen)
30 Gb iPod Video U2 Edition

Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop
Windows XP

Dell Dimension 4300 Used as Media Center. (rarely used)
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJagor92 wrote:
My plan is to see what Apple decides in a year or two. By then, Apple will probably have something brand new that evryone will want to get.

I couldn't wait that long. 4-5 months was long enough. I finally went ahead and took the leap. My mini is coming tomorrow so I am like a little kid the night before Christmas. Surprised
Roughneck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunm wrote:
Roughneck wrote:
Well, let me chime in.

The $500 Mac should be ALL ABOUT games because it's not about Photoshop. It's definitely not about MAYA. It's not even about Indesign.

The only sub-$500 devices I've seen that are "all about games" are game consoles.

Gaming computers are generally among the most expensive systems in the consumer market, so I'd have to disagree with that sentiment.

Let me rephrase that. The Mac Mini should be about home computer use. IMHO a good bit of that should include gaming.

Let's have a comparison.

The two great things about the mini are it's small form factor and it runs the MacOS.

Those are definite positives.

BUT, for $600 a general home user can get this.

The mini is nice, but the HP gives you a lot more for the money. The key feature with this particular HP is the available PCI-Express slot that will allow an individual to upgrade their computer to a gaming level that far exceeds what the basic mini provides.

Personally, I purchased an X550 video card for an additional $70 and I can now run almost any current game at 1024x768 or higher.

Don't get me wrong. I think the mini is still a marvel, but IMHO it's not a great value.

That's just me though. I like playing PC Games AND working with my computer.[/url]
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughneck wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I think the mini is still a marvel, but IMHO it's not a great value.

I don't think the mini is a great value anymore. That being said, I ordered the $799 model today. Laughing I can't wait to see it in action with my 27" LCD TV.
jthawke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Mini Reply with quote

Not feeling the need to defend myself, as I am a current mini owner, and I do love it . . . but as I already own an Apple 20" monitor, an iMac is not an option. I like the specs of the iMac WITHOUT the monitor and if Apple is telling us their 20" is worth $800 then it seems to be we should be able to get the INSIDES for it's price minus the cost of the monitor. That puts it in the mini's ballpark, yet the mini doesn't have the same features. That's why I suggested the G5 tower. It's the only other option, but again, overkill for my needs. The reason I used the term "force fed" is that while I would like the duo core processor I have YET to burn a DVD, connect a bluetooth device or use Airport on my desktop computer. I know, I know . . . my choices . . . but Apple tells me that I must pay for these items when I already KNOW I don't need them. I'd rather see that money put towards a better graphics card and if it means a bigger footprint, then make one!! The mini is a great design but it doesn't HAVE to be that small. A few more inches around isn't going to make it a tower. I know there are other that would like to see Apple fill a niche that the iMac does, but without a monitor. I was hoping this next generation mini would do it, but still . . . I wait.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Mini Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
Not feeling the need to defend myself, as I am a current mini owner, and I do love it . . . but as I already own an Apple 20" monitor, an iMac is not an option. I like the specs of the iMac WITHOUT the monitor and if Apple is telling us their 20" is worth $800 then it seems to be we should be able to get the INSIDES for it's price minus the cost of the monitor. That puts it in the mini's ballpark, yet the mini doesn't have the same features.

You must be my lost twin brother. I have the exact same feelings about Apple's lineup. To me, the price difference between the mini, iMac and Apple Cinema display seem off. I think it's their overpriced (but very nice) displays that throw the hole comparison model off. In the end, I ended up with the new mini. I just didn't feel comfortable with tying my fortunes to an all in one machine. I probably would have taken my chances with a 20" iMac if I had some major F U money.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we actually would like is a budget G5, like such an HP offers. An Intel Dual Core 1.68, with 2 slots, 600 something FSB a normal 200 GB 7200 8 or 16 mb cache, enough room for expansion PCI cards (to put in a Fw 800 card for instance) and some basic things + the usual software. Put in a a nice cube-sized form like this crazy Asian did (put a cube in a G5 like case) or another nice aluminum + white case for about $ 1000/1200 and G5 sales would fall dratically but this new Apple PC might conquer the world. The Cube was just to early and expensive! Shocked
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughneck wrote:
BUT, for $600 a general home user can get this.

I think what many people are forgeting is the engineering that goes into the incredibly small form factor of the Mac Mini.

Show me a dual core PC-equivalant with the same form factor and whisper-quiet operation!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I think what many people are forgeting is the engineering that goes into the incredibly small form factor of the Mac Mini.

Show me a dual core PC-equivalant with the same form factor and whisper-quiet operation!

Well maybe some people just want a little bit less silent computer and a bit bigger too, which is more expandable and runs OSX? Wink
justinlau_92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: THX GOD Reply with quote

OMG...At last it is here... Waited for it about for half a year....But i dunno wheather my father could get it for me ...
iPod Shuffle 1GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Well maybe some people just want a little bit less silent computer and a bit bigger too, which is more expandable and runs OSX? Wink

Which is NOT what the Mini is. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:

Which is NOT what the Mini is. Smile

Correct, but it is still the entry Mac for most people, their chance to expirience OSX, apart from 2nd hand (mostly overpriced) iMac's, G4' s. But now there are 2nd hand mini's! Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:

I guess you could make an argument for the new AOpen Mini PC. The thing is… Who wants to run Windows or Linux when OS X is running on all 12 cylinders? Laughing

As far as prices go for the new mini. I think people are complaining too much about the $600 price tag. I would be more than happy to pay a $100 premium over the old 1.25GHz/1.33GHz minis for the extra expandability (USB and RAM), faster processor, digital audio in/out, larger hard drive, AE/Bluetooth, Front Row, and Apple remote. I doubt you'll even be paying that much of a premium when Amazon and other third party retailers start offering rebates and discounts. You could only be taking about $65-$75 more then.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4 Mac Mini, with:
- Airport
- Bluetooth
- 80GB hdd
- 512MB RAM
Price: $599

Intel Core Solo Mini, with:
- Airport
- Bluetooth
- 60GB hdd
- 512MB RAM
Price: $599

Considering the increased cost of the CPU, additional USB ports, audio IN addition, drastically better FSB, FrontRow with Apple Remote, etc...I think Apple did an EXCELLENT job maintaining an entry-level price point.
charlie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Intel Mac mini Reply with quote

rdf8585 wrote:
I knew I should have waited when I got my Mini 3 months ago, but I couldn't resist the temptation then.

I had the same temptation to sell the lot and jump aboard, but with a Late '05 mini (1.33 G4/5400rpm drive) I had to stop and realise that I had plenty of non-Universal software that would have had to run under Rosetta (with the overhead performance hit of an emulator).

There's an elegant simplicity (and silence) of running a mini...the first box I have successfully avoided the urge to open and tinker with (my circa 198X long handled Torx and 'case crackers' are round here somewhere).

I turned on my highly upgraded G4 DA (1.5ghz) yesterday. Had forgotten the wind tunnel fan noise effect.

Love the remote of the newbie...not so sure about the shared VRAM. Wearing Clock Speed Blinders is supposed to be the domain of the WinHeathen.

I recall the days when His Steveness would unveil the newest machine....but at a $2-5K price tag that many of "The Rest of Us' couldn't pony up often.

I want to wait a bit and see how the new Intel platform pans out in real life with real apps.

So much for the old adage of waiting until the MacWorld Keynote to buy anything from Cupertino....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: