123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Hubbell Mini mount Shelf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Review: Hubbell Mini mount Shelf Reply with quote

Review: Hubbell Mini mount Shelf
Thursday February 16, 2006

Looking for a good way to mount your Mac mini underneath a desk or a shelf? Well, look no further than Hubbell's Mini mount Shelf for the Mac mini. It's definitely one of the best looking and designed mounts we have seen for the Mac mini.

Our Mini mount Shelf came packaged neatly and in a small white box. In the box, you'll find the mount itself, eight 3/4" wood screws, four 1 3/4" wood screws, four 1" spacers, power supply mount, and installation guide. The instructions in the guide are written well and easy-to-follow.

The Mini mount Shelf is made out of a single piece of 1/4" clear acrylic plastic. It measures 6 3/4" wide x 7 1/2" deep x 2 3/4" tall. The mount features two clear acrylic front posts and two removable rear posts that basically lock your Mac mini inside the mount. These posts do an excellent job of preventing the Mac mini from sliding out of the mount. Plus, they allow the front and back to stay open for full access to the Mac mini's optical drive and rear panel. The mount also features a unique X-shaped bottom that allows maximum airflow to the Mac mini's vents.

Installing the mount underneath a desk or shelf requires screwing in four 3/4" screws. Hubbell even went the extra step of countersinking the screw holes so the heads are flush with the mount. They also include four 1" spacers in case you need additional vertical clearance. This should come in handy if the desk or shelf you're attaching the mount to has a bottom lip or edge. You will need to use the longer 1 3/4" wood screws if you use these spacers. The kit also includes a clear acrylic mount for the Mac mini's power adapter.

Overall, we can recommend this product to our readers and give it a score of 4 out of 4 stars. We really came away impressed with this mount. The Hubbell Mini mount Shelf mini is available now and has a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Pros:
- Stylish design compliments Mac mini
- Front and rear posts prevent Mac mini from sliding out of mount
- Open front and back allow for easy access to the Mac mini
- Includes mount for the Mac mini's power adapter
- Design of mount allows maximum airflow for the Mac mini

Cons:
- Quality comes at a price

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/119.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, I'd rather see something like this in the form of a standing rack, with extra room for a similar HD case/hub and a DVD burner...
If Palaset would be awake, they bring out something like this, since their Palabox already has about the same top/bottom-size.

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking mount, just seems a little overpriced.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the mount that was on here a while ago from OWC. I have to say this one looks better. The only thing I don't like about mine is the mini can fall right out. There really isn't anything securing it down. Although, it doesn't move around much with all the cables connected. It still looks cool mounted above my LCD TV on a shelf. Almost like it's floating in mid air. Cool
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I bought the mount that was on here a while ago from OWC. I have to say this one looks better. The only thing I don't like about mine is the mini can fall right out. There really isn't anything securing it down. Although, it doesn't move around much with all the cables connected. It still looks cool mounted above my LCD TV on a shelf. Almost like it's floating in mid air. Cool

Please post a pic Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Please post a pic Smile

I'll try to put one on 123macmini's photo gallery some day. I need to do a little clean up work and take down some family pictures first. Laughing

Are you looking to buy one of these mounts? The one I bought is here.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MINIMOUNT/

I had trouble getting it at first because they were temporarily out of stock. I would probably buy this Hubbell one if I had to do it all over. I think it looks and sounds better.
dgpdx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Review: Hubbell Mini mount Shelf Reply with quote

[quote="admin"]Review: Hubbell Mini mount Shelf
Thursday February 16, 2006

How is this going to affect Air Port reception since the receiver is mounted in the top of the mini case?
--
Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: