123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils New Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangtown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shared graphics or not, I'm going to get one. For the price, the use of shared graphics is NOT surprising. For a machine that in real world use will probably be at least 2x - 3x faster than the current mini at the prices it's available at, it's just incredible.

I expect the core duo model with 1 gig of ram will be fairly snappy. I guess it wouldn't be a major gaming platform, but then the mac is not known as the gaming platform of choice anyway, and I'm not a gamer. If I were, I'd use my PC anyhow.

I can't wait until they are available - none of the stores here knows when they are getting them.
jase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shared graphics don't bother me a bit. I can't even remember the last time I played a game on the Mini.

So I ordered mine about 3 minutes after the store opened. Click, click, click, straight through.

Dual core... yummm!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Core Duo. Showing a ship date of the 8th.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the new mini. To get a dual-core you now have to get a superdrive, which I don't need, and you have to spend $200 US more on top of the $100 extra price for the bottom line Intel mini over the PPC version. The extra RAM slot is great, but why did they have to put two useless 256 meg chips in these slots instead of one 512? (To make more money on upgrades of course.) As for the graphics card, I don't know what to make of it. It uses regular RAM in place of VRAM; maybe that's good to cut down on heat but I suspect that Intel graphics cards are inferior to those made by ATI and nVidia. And there are no graphics upgrade options. The lower priced model looks attractive to me if the video card is decent and if the second core doesn't add much to standard apps like Office, internet and iLife.

Does anyone have any information on single vs. dual core performance, or on the Intel video card?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the prices here in my country and became very disappointed: 649 and 879 Euro's, which is included tax but still: $ 774 and $ 1,048.50. Goodbye switchers! These machines will only be bought by people who know the Mac computer, others will buy a nice PC, shuttle model or one of the new Aopen models and I must say, I can't blame them, not switching when the price is that high, even with the wonderful OS and beautiful programmes provided. Only Windows-users don't know the OS and programmes anyway. The end of the Apple revolution. Sad Well, Mac users will stay a breed apart than an 2nd hands Mac's pretty expensive, maybe not the 1st generation mini's though.. Sad
macinabox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaa I just got my mini 2 week ago and now it's... it's... old Surprised

Oh well at least I can still use my OS 9.2 apps on the one I have Very Happy
sross

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be greedy and say DANG!! NO FIREWIRE 800! oh well.. It is a hell of a lot of machine I reckon. I am so tempted to upgrade my current mini I can't stand it but will probaby wait for the next major release instead of this one. If I did get a new one how hard is it to transfer my old system to this new one? Is it as simple as plugging them together with a network cable and telling some application to transfer them? No idea.. I am thinking of selling my current mini to my pop and upgrading to the new one..
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this was a double post!

Last edited by James T Kirk on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
theslownorris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Buyers regret Reply with quote

To all of you who bought minis 3 or so months ago... I can top you!

I got my Mini (1.5/64MB Video/Superdrive/1GB RAM) three bleeding weeks ago.

Nice and outside the 14 days I understand apple will switch.

Moral of the story? Wait perpetually to buy a new Mac. Crying or Very sad
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buyers regret Reply with quote

theslownorris wrote:
To all of you who bought minis 3 or so months ago... I can top you!

I got my Mini (1.5/64MB Video/Superdrive/1GB RAM) three bleeding weeks ago.

Nice and outside the 14 days I understand apple will switch.

Moral of the story? Wait perpetually to buy a new Mac. Crying or Very sad

I saw a benchmark of the 1.24 compared with the 1.5 intel and 1.67 dual core, that was pretty mean, I wonder what the difference will be with my 1.5 G4.
rfruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intel Mini is so like Apple, 2 steps forward and 1 back (integrated video, slow firewire, 5400 RPM drive) ? I'll give it 12 months or so to let the dust settle ...
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
2000 Civic hatchback
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
I will be greedy and say DANG!! NO FIREWIRE 800! oh well.. It is a hell of a lot of machine I reckon. I am so tempted to upgrade my current mini I can't stand it but will probaby wait for the next major release instead of this one. If I did get a new one how hard is it to transfer my old system to this new one? Is it as simple as plugging them together with a network cable and telling some application to transfer them? No idea.. I am thinking of selling my current mini to my pop and upgrading to the new one..

All you need is a firewire cable. When you first run your new Mac it asks if you want to transfer your data from an old Mac. I think there is also an app Migration Assistant that lets you do it even after you set up the new machine.

Jaime
retrophonic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the comment on slow firewire, if OS X supports booting from network attached storage (NAS), there would be no need for a firewire 800 port, because gigabit ethernet has a slightly higher throughput.
gobbo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Does anyone have any information on single vs. dual core performance, or on the Intel video card?

Link to the spec sheet on Intel site http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

It looks pretty similar spec to the Radeon 9700, but looks to have been quit highly optimised for HD/video rather than 3D performace, though thats not a bad thing imo on a mac mini.

Btw, just ordered myself a 1.5 Solo Laughing
Quantum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm this:

Quote:
Hard Drive

The larger the capacity of your hard drive, the more space is available to store your files and applications. A typical application today takes 10 to 50 megabytes (MB); graphics files can occupy more than 100MB; and video files are often many gigabytes in size. With files growing larger and hard drives becoming bigger, faster, and more affordable, it makes good economic sense to buy a hard drive with enough capacity to last. Capacity is typically measured in gigabytes (GB).

A variety of hard drive capacities are available for Mac mini. All Mac mini models include standard Serial ATA hard drives featuring data transfers up to 1.5 Gigabits per second. All hard drives run at 7,200 revolutions per minute (rpm).

Your hard drive will come already formatted with the Mac OS Extended file format for efficient storage of your data.

*For hard drive capacity measurements, 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.

It was found on the Apple-UK store.
Are we getting a 5400 rpm HDD or a 7200 Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: