123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 4 for the Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 4 for the Mac Reply with quote

Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 4 for the Mac
Monday February 27, 2006

Adobe today announced Photoshop Elements 4.0 for the Mac, a new version of its digital photo editing software designed for consumers. The new version includes features like auto red-eye removal, skin tone adjustment, the Magic Selection Brush, and the Magic Extractor tool. It also includes iPhoto-like features like an image ordering tool so you can purchase prints or books of your pictures from inside Photoshop Elements, and Kodak's EasyShare so you can create online image galleries. Photoshop Elements 4 is available for pre-order now for $89.99 and will start shipping in early March.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/445.html
RJT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macintosh Requirements:

PowerPC® G3, G4, or G5 processor
Mac OS X v.10.3 or 10.4
256MB of RAM
750MB of available hard-disk space
1,024x768 16-bit (XGA) display
CD-ROM drive
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really appealing to me. I like iPhoto, but the editing tool is not always sufficient for my needs.

I will wait and see what this tool offers before I purchase, but this looks like a winner..
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time they got around to releasing the Mac version! But it's a shame it isn't a Universal Binary. Adobe looks like they are going to drag their feet with Intel support for a long time. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
It's about time they got around to releasing the Mac version! But it's a shame it isn't a Universal Binary. Adobe looks like they are going to drag their feet with Intel support for a long time. Sad

Good point. I too am surprised they are dragging their feet on Universal binaries. Maybe I will wait until a universal version is available since my next Mac will definitely be Intel based (although that might not be for another 12-18 months easily)..
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Maybe I will wait until a universal version is available since my next Mac will definitely be Intel based (although that might not be for another 12-18 months easily)..

I wouldn't wait that long to get going. It's a great piece of software. I've had Elements 3.0 for a while now and couldn't be happier. Whatever you do, don't order it from Adobe. Amazon usually has great deals on Elements. I got my copy for like $60 after mail-in rebate.
iLife's a Bitch!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this program include some features from ImageReady?

All I need is very basic editing features along with GIF, JPEG and PNG preview/export functions.

But there's no way I'll pay for the whole Photoshop suite... It's overkill for my needs.

Unless someone wants to point me to a freeware program similar to what ImageReady can do?
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: A cautionary note Reply with quote

Sorry to say but I have not had good results with Adobe Photoshop. Twice now, they've shipped defective items, and then gave me a hard time when I called to get support. Most recently, I sent back the Elements 3/Premiere Elements bundle -- premiere would not load. In the 1990's, I had the same experience with the first Photoshop when I was trying to develop an early digital photo class for a local college. I never could get a non-defective copy; but I sure got the runaround from Adobe, which although it was located only about 30 miles from the college would NOT allow me to drive over and get an exchange, and which for some now-forgotten reason never sent a non-defective package; so I left the college with no program in place.

The result of the most recent incident was a long, drawn-out discussion on the meaning of life and the dangers of the global corporate state. Finally, I just told them to keep my money AND the software. And, honestly, I did not find Elements 3 to be a great improvement over Elements 2 (which I have, and which does work, and which I sometimes use); 3 was basically a soccer-Mom version which allowed filing photos in photoshop, and using photos to create family calendars and such.

Also, the reviews of the PC version of elements 4 have been somewhat mixed -- whether it makes any ground-breaking new changes seems somewhat vague.

iPhoto 06 looks like it has most of the features, and the price is right. I'd guess that it might meet most peoples' needs. Apple is not necessarily any easier to work with than Adobe -- both too big and too corporate -- but their stuff works, really well. So I'd stick with them, and only spend the money on PSE4 if iPhoto has a lack.

Scotty
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A cautionary note Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Finally, I just told them to keep my money AND the software.

I've felt like telling that to a few companies, but Adobe hasn't been one of them. One of mine was Macromedia. Guess who just bought Macromedia? Laughing

I'm surprised to hear you didn't like Elements 3. I think it's a great app for the money.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: re elements 3 Reply with quote

Elements 3 is ok; but in terms of unique functionality, ie editing images, PSE 2 is just about as good and ships free with scanners etc. PSE 3 seemed to mainly add Adobe's portfolio program (like iPhoto) and some apps that allowed the making of calendars, cards, etc. So for the medium-level editing of photos, 2 is for all practical purposes as good as 3, and ships free with some equipment. For portfolio, and now for calendars etc iPhoto is very good.

My 2 cents worth!

Scotty
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wish Paint Shop Pro would come with an universal binary for Mac as well...
meglakowski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rec'd my order of Tiger (yeah, I'm a late adopter - I prefer to think of it as letting everyone else work out the bugs) and iLife 06 yesterday - I'll have to see what iPhoto 06 is like before seriously thinking about this. For my needs, I'm perfectly happy with Elements 3. And, though it's not a problem for me, since I have a super-early G4 mini, I really can't believe they're releasing this w/o Universal Binary. I guess Adobe assumes there's enough crazy Mac early-adopers who will shell out the cash w/o question. (They're probably right.)

Back to working on upgrade prep.

1gen Mac mini ´┐Ę PowerPC G4 1.42 GHz ´┐Ę 512 MB RAM ´┐Ę Mac OS X 10.4.11 ´┐Ę Acomdata mini Pal 160GB
rich_jtg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PS Elements 4 for my PC and it is very good.

I use 'proper' Photoshop at work and Elements is very good value for money. Many more features than you would expect for the price.
ufauxreal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PSE 3 and like it. Does Adobe offer an 'upgrade' price, or do you have to pay the same price as everyone else?
gunm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufauxreal wrote:
I have PSE 3 and like it. Does Adobe offer an 'upgrade' price, or do you have to pay the same price as everyone else?

There's a $20 discount for upgraders. Or I guess you could try amazon to see if there are greater rebates/discounts there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: