123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewire bus power issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Firewire bus power issues? Reply with quote

Ok, so I read this review of the mini: http://www.macintouch.com/macmini/review.html#access

Notice this part:

Quote:
Miraculously surviving the challenge of swapping internal hard drives, we formatted the fast drive and cloned the contents of the original Apple drive, newly housed in a FireWire enclosure. (The Mini didn't provide enough bus power over FireWire for the external drive, so we had to use an external power supply with it.)

So, this lead me to look around on the internet to find out more information on bus powering via firewire. My old Powerbook G4 1.5 supposedly had 7 watts on the firewire bus (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041221081432908), and from the Mini spec's page the mini has 8 watts, so I'm thinking everything will be fine.

I'm just wondering who has tried to use bus-powered devices (2.5" drives, iSight, etc) on the Mini's firewire port and how many items were you able to successfully use. I'm also wondering why macintouch didn't elaborate any as to why they had an issue powering the stock drive in an external enclsoure.

Bubba
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm also wondering why macintouch didn't elaborate any as to why they had an issue powering the stock drive in an external enclsoure. "

Your guess is as good as mine!

iSight, iPod and Sony Digital 8 Camera all hooked up to mini and working fine. How many things do you want to hook up other than an external drive?
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a 3.5" firewire drive (externally powered of course), and I have 3 2.5" drives that'll be powered at various times for different OS's, backup OS, etc (not powered all the time), and an iSight. I guess my only concern is that it sounded like they were only hooking up a single 2.5", bus powered drive and that it would not work - which concerns me, as this worked fine on my 40GB 5400rpm 2.5" and 20GB 4200rpm 2.5" in external enclosures on my PB 1.5Ghz.

Thanks for your input though!

BTW, I emailed macintouch and here is their response:
Quote:

I don't know *why* it didn't work; simply that it didn't, although it
seemed to be working at first. It was a Mercury On-The-Go enclosure
from macsales.com - the small plastic one for notebook drives.

Ric

Bubba
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you already have your Mini?
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... ship on or before Feb 21st.
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you will love it when it comes. It was a good thing I ordered mine on the day Jobs announced it. Two weeks in and no regrets! If you have any questions about it let me know.
andp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.macally.com/spec/firewire/connecting/hub_uf.html

Good hub for Firewire and USB. I bet you'll be fine with what you want to hook up and have no problems.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to sell my powerbook first before I could buy it. Since it sat on the desk hooked to an external monitor, it wasn't being used as a laptop. Glad I got it out the door before the updates this week. So just a few more weeks mac-less... only been a few days and I'm pulling my hair out.
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of display are you going to use?
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19" Planar LCD that I ordered from Dell about 2 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: