123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

movies for home theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: movies for home theater Reply with quote

i have a mac mini hooked up to my tv via the dvi to svideo adaptor. i have a newer ministack with a 300gb drive in it. I have been backing up my dvd's with handbrake to the external drive for viewing with front row. i have tried to set it to have as little amount of artifacting as possible. does anyone know maybe some particular settings that will eliminate it when I backup up the dvd? given the quality isn't going to be the best because of the svideo.

I use the mp4/AAC setting and usually increase the bitrate to about 2500. I try to keep the output screen size the same or just smaller than the input.

thanks
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a fair amount of artifacting with just about every setting. Are you doing a 2-pass encode? Have you tried H.264? I think H.264 quality is much better, but ripping takes twice as long. Another bad things is the files are much larger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: