123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Concept with iPod Dock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Concept with iPod Dock Reply with quote

Mac mini Concept with iPod Dock
Monday February 20, 2006

Isamu Sanada has created a concept of his dream Mac mini with a buiit-in iPod dock. The concept has an optical drive and retractable tray loading dock for the iPod up front. We have to admit, this concept is rather striking even though its form factor looks much wider than the current version of the Mac mini. Just last week, AppleInsider reported that Apple has scrapped plans to include a built-in iPod dock with the Intel-based Mac minis. With a cool looking concept like this, it may be time to re-examine the idea of a built-in dock. Hey, we can dream too!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/443.html
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a iPod but without any scroll wheel or any screen. You can tell just based on the top white cover with edges and the metal bottom, just like the iPod.
I think making the Mac Mini look like a oversized iPod is a bad idea. It might be a good idea marketing wise, but I like that the Mini looks different from everything else.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that crazy about the width. But on the other hand, the extra width would surely make it able to accommodate a 3.5" drive. It's a double edged sword. I would rather them increase the height if anything.
Influx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design strikes me as being only applicable in a Home Theatre setup. In terms of it just being a regular "Computer", it doesn't appeal at all (to me anyway).

I could totally see something like that on top of my entertainment centre.
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
slickrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Influx wrote:
In terms of it just being a regular "Computer", it doesn't appeal at all (to me anyway).

I'm with you on that one. It looks more like a media device than a desktop computer. Have you guys looked at some of the other concepts on his website? Some of them are pretty darn cool! Cool
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, this is not his best design, but all in all, this guy should work at Apple! I especially like his screens, several models would fit my Mini exeptionally good! What about his design for a new iMac, his hiMac R16 looks very cool and the PowerfulMac R14? I just love that screen and tubular computer! Also the iPod shuffle with a small screen is a very good idea! What I noticed is that he might start to challenge Apple a bit. His older ideas are badged with an biteless Apple logo with the leaf the other way. His latest designs though are badged with Apple's logo! He might want to talk to the big boss! Razz
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm not that crazy about the width. But on the other hand, the extra width would surely make it able to accommodate a 3.5" drive. It's a double edged sword. I would rather them increase the height if anything.

I'd be happy with an Intel Mac mini twice as high if it had a 3.5" drive in it. But please keep the 6.5" x 6.5" form factor (I have 3 Mac mini drives+hubs and a slim hub already).

For a living room device connected to a TV, however, it needs to look like this design.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what happens when I have my iPod docked and I want to get a DVD out?

Surprised Confused

Jamie
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
And what happens when I have my iPod docked and I want to get a DVD out?

Surprised Confused

Jamie

If you look closely at the picture, the optical drive is under the iPod dock. No problemo.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

If you look closely at the picture, the optical drive is under the iPod dock. No problemo.

It looks like you could grab one of the sides to pull the disk out. I think this concept is very cool. It would be neat if they included a thing like the PS2 has to stand it up vertically. But I guess that would defeat the purpose of the dock.
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone feel like some of these guys designs look like a child of Apple and Sony?

And it's definitely not a bad thing. It's the elegance/simplicity of Apple and the hi-tech/modern look of Sony.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Anyone feel like some of these guys designs look like a child of Apple and Sony?.

I can see what you mean. I still have an affinity for Sony products even though they have slipped in the last few years.
iLife's a Bitch!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Exactly my point. Directly under, in fact. In my opinion, an inelegant solution.

Smile

Jamie
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

I can see what you mean. I still have an affinity for Sony products even though they have slipped in the last few years.

Me, too, I just can't justify the price tag of Sony products, I guess in the same way some can't justify the price tag of Apple products.

And the hybrid Sony/Apple look isn't something I'd want Sony or Apple to pursue, but maybe another company. I think Sony and Apple should stick to what they're good at.
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Exactly my point. Directly under, in fact. In my opinion, an inelegant solution.

Smile

Jamie

Well, I rarely use CDs/DVDs anymore, so i suppose it wouldn't be a problem for me. Reaching around the back to get to the USB ports, however, is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: