123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xbox 360
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
ack_mac wrote:
Honestly, I would buy an HD monitor or TV before I would even consider buying the 360.. That is probably the biggest strength of the 360 (HD).. It is truly amazing.

I've been looking around for a TV for months. Not just for my 360, but for general viewing. I just can't decide what model to buy. The good news is: prices keep dropping while I've been looking around. I really would like to buy something from Sony. Every Sony I've seen in Circuit City or Best Buy looks better than anything from Samsung, Hitachi, or Panasonic. They clearly *no pun intended* have the best sets out there.

The Sony's are very nice... But, I bought my Samsung DLP from a local wholesaler who sells them refurbished for a ton less... At the time, the same 56" model was close to $1000 more at Circuit City and other retail stores. I picked up an extended warranty for $170 and have not regretted the decision once.

The other thing that you have to be careful of when buying a TV is that most retail stores do not have the TV's tuned correctly. I have a copy of Digital Video Essentials that I use to tune all my televisions and monitors. The default factory settings that Samsung come shipped as are usually decent, but even then I ended up making quite a few modifications before I got the picture just right..

I love Sony televisions, but I just could not justify the extra $1200-1400 over the Samsung when I bought mine..

I bought my TV here:
http://www.7e4.com/

Since they were within driving distance (and I had an SUV) I saved about $300 on shipping. I have had several co-workers buy here and they sell on Ebay a ton as well...
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
I love Sony televisions, but I just could not justify the extra $1200-1400 over the Samsung when I bought mine..

I bought my TV here:

It sounds like you got a good deal. Samsung displays really are nice. I would definitely rate them right up there with Sony. What model did you buy? Have you ever seen one of these in person?
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
ack_mac wrote:

I bought my TV here:

It sounds like you got a good deal. Samsung displays really are nice. I would definitely rate them right up there with Sony. What model did you buy? Have you ever seen one of these in person?

Yes I have, and those are very nice... For the record, I did a TON of research before I bought and I found that Samsung tends to give you the best bang for your buck. The only thing that I was a little leary about when I purchased were some of the earlier reports of DLP bulb issues. I think that companies have moved past that. I have friends that have had their Samsung DLP's for almost 2 years and have not had to replace bulbs.

This is mine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L3DAG/104-4938240-3471917?v=glance&n=172282

I paid $1800 back in July 05, and the place I bought it (see my above post) sells it for $1599 now (refurbished)... I am extermely happy with my purchase. For those of you who have never experienced HD on a DLP/Plasma/LCD it is a life changing event Smile
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also consider this model:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitachi-50-HDTV-50VF820-/sem/rpsm/oid/131140/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I am a big fan of LCD rear projection and Hitachi makes great TV's...

BTW, I am totally addicted to Call of Duty 2 on the 360... There is something about playing a game in HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound with bullets flying at you from everywhere. This game is a must if you have a 360...

One more thing. I am really impressed with the 360's Live feature (I am only using the free Silver accout).. Plus, I just heard that PS3 will not have a similar Live feature at introduction... The source was very credable, and I think this is a huge mistake for Sony.. The future of gaming is online...
TheBattler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

BTW, I am totally addicted to Call of Duty 2 on the 360... There is something about playing a game in HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound with bullets flying at you from everywhere. This game is a must if you have a 360...

What's your gamertag?

1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBattler wrote:
ack_mac wrote:

What's your gamertag?

ack_360 (what else?)

I am usually on late in the evening when the wife and child are asleep Smile

I have almost solved the single player game but also love playing online... Hopefully I will see you out there soon. What is your gamertag?

Cheers.
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not all that impressed with the 360 thus far. I'm going to wait untill I can A) walk into a store and buy one at my leisure. or B) they fix the issues that the current units are having (heating, video artifaction, etc.)

Or the very unlikely C) Wait untill Apple releases a console (iPlay anyone?)

Very Happy
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheBattler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

What is your gamertag?

Cheers.

PhantomShocks, but let me tell you. I've had bad luck playing with people from 123Macmini, I've missed KillerPopTart at least 6 times by less than a minute.

60gb 5th gen iPod
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy O Boy, Xbox Live. I just cancelled my account yesterday. Old gamertag MIDNITEraider.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Boy O Boy, Xbox Live. I just cancelled my account yesterday. Old gamertag MIDNITEraider.

Why is that?

60gb 5th gen iPod
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBattler wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Why is that?

Well as my name goes, I play Socom 3: Navy Seals on PS2. Not only do I like the stealth quality, but it's the community online, I have friends and family on there.
Plus Socom has always been more difficult to me compared toe Halo 2. I like the challenge and the more realistic strategy.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
I'm not all that impressed with the 360 thus far. I'm going to wait untill I can A) walk into a store and buy one at my leisure. or B) they fix the issues that the current units are having (heating, video artifaction, etc.)

Or the very unlikely C) Wait untill Apple releases a console (iPlay anyone?)

Very Happy

Well, I was holding out for a PS3, but I was actually able to walk into a local store and buy one (although it seems I was a little lucky).

The current issues (like almost everything in the news) is way overblown. I know about eight people who have 360's and none of us have experienced any problems. I have left my 360 on for about 10 hours straight, and there have been zero overheating problems.

Don't let that hold you back. Also, Microsoft has stepped up production so you should start seeing more stock anyday now. All I can say is that so far I am very impressed, and I am definitely not a Microsoft fanboy. I am picking up Burnout Revenge and the new Ghost Recon game this coming week. Both are supposed to be two of the best games released yet for the 360...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: