123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel Mac mini: Dock or Not?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Intel Mac mini: Dock or Not? Reply with quote

Intel Mac mini: Dock or Not?
Sunday February 12, 2006

AppleInsider is reporting that Apple, for the second time in less than two years, appears to have scrapped plans to include a built-in iPod dock with some of its forthcoming Mac mini desktop computers.

"The dock connector, which was rumored to be located at the top of the computer, would effectively turn each Mac mini into an oversized docking station for iPods featuring the company's proprietary dock-connector.

Apple originally planned to add the dock only to its top-of-the-line Mac mini model, which it currently sells for $699, people often familiar with the company's pre-production computer plans said. The feature was scrapped for unknown reasons just weeks before the new computers are slated to hit production in the Far East, these people added," writes Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal for AppleInsider.

AppleInsider is also reporting that the new Intel Mac mini will go into production over the next few weeks, and make their official debut within a month thereafter. The new Mac mini is rumored to include a 1.67GHz Intel Core Solo processor, 512MB RAM, and Front Row.

Now, it's time for you to chime in. Do you think a built-in dock iPod dock on the Mac mini is a good idea or a bad idea?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/438.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
HME

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would Apple do this without ruining the look of the Mini? I don't own an iPod, so it is of no use to me... It seems like that would be too much integration. Just my humble opinion.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dock or no dock... I'm buying one! Very Happy
tbealmear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it would be a kewl idea, but not sure how they would do it without making it look like crap. I would really like to buy one of the new Intel minis, but I would have to sell mine first. Anyone interested? haha
-Combo Drive
-OS X 10.4.5
-Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also with the "no need for a built-in dock" crowd. It would ruin the look and make it more expensive.

My iPods work just fine with their bundled cables.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know guys. I sort of thought the built-in dock was a cool idea. Imagine if it was sunken down into the top and made of the same white plastic. You'd barely be able to see when the iPod was disconnected. They could even include a little white plastic cap to cover the hole and connector if you didn't want to use it.
iLife's a Bitch!
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: ipods are ipods, macminis, macminis Reply with quote

Don't have an ipod, and in truth can't see any reason to get one. So I'd just as soon leave this elegant little box alone.... If for some reason I do get one, cables are ok with me.

Scotty
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Apple starts to build the mini in a few weeks. Let's say around the first of March. It will be ready to ship by April 1st if you go by Apple Insider. That's perfect timing for a 30th anniversary event on April fools day. Maybe we'll see new iBooks, Mac minis and iPods. Very Happy
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was worried when i saw 'intel mini' and 'not' in the title of the news. Shocked

but i dont see the big deal there being no iPod dock i just want more universal binery games by the time the intel mini comes out. Wink

hurry up apple! i want my intel mini!

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple will put a built-in dock on top of the next mini. Why? Apple can make more money selling the dock as an individual product. It's all about the Benjamins.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my stealth upgraded mini 1.5 and I really don't care if the Intel mini gets a dock or not. I am more interested in the whole operating system though I like the mini. Under the same token I might even upgrade in some years for a G5 or its son. Same happened when the CD came out (yes, I'm an old f*** Wink) I was totally into LP records and saw the cd as something extra, not something that might take over my love for playing and recording LP's on tape (reel to reel, that is), but things changed. CD's became more and more the standard, easy, fast, quality of the players was improving fast, did not sound so "digital" anymore. 2nd Big happening was the possibility for copying your cd's onto recordable cd's. Now I have a top notch reel to reel and several cassettedecks gathering dust. The record players comes into action when I feel nostalgic and I think this is going to be happening with my 5 years old Windows/Linux pc just the same when I don't feel the need for this or that programme to run, I guess the pc will be my son's game pc within a year! At this moment I still like to own a Aopen mini pc to run a few programmes through a KVM or network or whatever (VPC is probably to slow for some programmes and to bulky to have a complete Windows installation under your OSX, but since Apple's turn to Intel might be interesting under a new VPC or even better: Wine.
The new mini which probably has a 1.67 Intel single core processor does not seem to bring enough power to show a considerable increase in speed if they do not include a 7200 rpm HD and a better equipped front side bus, which even would increase the speed of the current Mini's.
So let's see, what the future brings... Laughing
warlock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we think the 1.67GHz Intel Core Solo will be that much faster than a 1.5Ghz G4?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye i would say so, the specs for the core solo says that it features a 667mhz fsb. thats a scorcher compared to the 166mhz ppc offering.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
I don't think Apple will put a built-in dock on top of the next mini. Why? Apple can make more money selling the dock as an individual product. It's all about the Benjamins.

I agree--this ain't happening. Also, as the AppleInsider article mentions, it could limit Apple's ability to change or upgrade the connector in the future.

In addition, if they put the connector on the top, people will complain about accessibility to the dock--you'd have to have clearance and that limits where you can put your Mini. And if they put it in the front, people will complain about it making the Mini ugly. And there's no sense in putting it in the back, or on the side.

I think this is just a bad idea all around, for many reasons.

Smile

Jamie
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
SNIP In addition, if they put the connector on the top, people will complain about accessibility to the dock--you'd have to have clearance and that limits where you can put your Mini. And if they put it in the front, people will complain about it making the Mini ugly. And there's no sense in putting it in the back, or on the side.

I think this is just a bad idea all around, for many reasons.

Smile

Jamie

I'd suggest, to make a little door on the front, like High Class Amplifiers/Receivers have to hide an extra USB and Firewire connection...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: