123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To NAS or not to NAS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myminirocks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: To NAS or not to NAS? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Been a little quite on the forums recently, that is because everything has been working beautifully

until

today

Crying or Very sad

I Went on holiday for a week and unplugged eveything (storm season down under) when I plugged everything back in, it looks like my WD Pro 500G external is playing up. I have the operating system installed on the external (the internal is purely just for EyeTv recordings/buffer) so when I start up I get the little folder icon with the question mark in it, indicating it cannot locate the startup disk.

Because I dont even own a plug in keyboard anymore (damn you apple and your sexy wireless keyboards) I cannot select a different start up disk, soooo I am pretty much screwed! Crying or Very sad

Anyhoo.... So time to get a new HDD and I am being honest here, I have read and read about NAS but I am clearly missing something.

Tell me if I have this right, the NAS actually plugs into my router, and then all computers access the info, simultaneously from there? If this is the case, is this really a viable option over 802.11n? My mini is in the same room, line of sight to the router only about 6mtrs away so probably best case senario, but is it going to be fast enough to stream a movie file (just downloaded 1.4gig files) and then other stuff to the other computers (3 macs in total) and 2 x iphones, while streaming some tunes to an airport express or 3?

Also, I kinda like my set up at the moment when I administer all my iPhoto and iTunes library's on the imac and then back it all up to the HDD attached to my Mini, so there is always 2 copies, one on my imac, one on the Mini.

So, I put it out to you the guru's, tell me the best option for sizable media storage (1TB) for my mini, but also a good (preferably automatic) back up solution for my media.

A lesson to all, and I know it has been said time and time again, back up people, this would have been a soul shatering experiance.
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: NAS??? Reply with quote

Please understand I'm no expert
(ex-pert = former-spurt ?).
It seems to me you have things
kind of backwards. Obviously you
must do what works for you

You don't need your mini's entire
HD as a buffer, you should use
your RAM as a buffer for your
EyeTV recordings, not your HD.

I would use your internal HD for
your OS and use the external for
EyeTV and iTunes etc. This way
you wouldn't have lost everything.

Try holding down your OPTION
key when you BOOT and see if
your External HD shows up as a
bootable disc. If it does, use the
Arrow keys to select it then press
The Return key.

I think you got that "?" because
your Mac was looking for the OS
on your internal HD and it couldn't
be found. Holding down the OPTION
key on BOOT may work.

These two links don't help you directly
but you may get something out of them.

http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-Ways.html
http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-BootDriveDogma.html

Any HD plugged into you router and is
accessible over your network is a NAS (Networked Attached Storage).
"N" Wi-Fi is probably an option for your
situation.
MacBook AIR 11 Inch
Mac mini 2012 w/2 External SATA HD's
andreas32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To NAS or not to NAS? Reply with quote

Edited -- if you do go with NAS and want to catalog the disks, CDFinder 5.7 (just released hours ago) appears to be the only app so far that can index network drives.

Last edited by andreas32 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NAS??? Reply with quote

billb wrote:
Try holding down your OPTION
key when you BOOT and see if
your External HD shows up as a
bootable disc. If it does, use the
Arrow keys to select it then press
The Return key.

It sounds to me from the OP's post that he cannot access the ALT key with his wireless keyboard, which also would rule out the arrow keys.
This is not uncommon with wireless including BT keyboards.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: You can't have to many Keyboard's, really! Reply with quote

My mistake.
I keep forgetting that everyone
isn't like me and you (you and I?).

I would simply dig through my box
full of discarded keyboards and
find a suitable one to try.

Maybe "OP" could hit up
one of his friends that is like us
and borrow a USB KB, or bite
the bullet and buy one of Apples
new Aluminum KB's. I have a
USB w/numeric keypad and a
wireless w/o the numeric keypad.
I couldn't help myself, eBay was
almost giving them away (almost).
Their FANTASTIC.

I'll stop now!
MacBook AIR 11 Inch
Mac mini 2012 w/2 External SATA HD's
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: You can't have to many Keyboard's, really! Reply with quote

billb wrote:
I have a
USB w/numeric keypad and a
wireless w/o the numeric keypad.
I couldn't help myself, eBay was
almost giving them away (almost).
Their FANTASTIC.

I'll stop now!

Yes, I agree they're fantastic
valefortia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: