123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Macintosh Anti-Virus Software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Best Macintosh Anti-Virus Software. Reply with quote

Hello,

I am soon going to be a new mac owner and would like to know what antivirus software is commonly accepted as being the best?

i dont mind if its commercial or freeware.

Options ive seen are really only for Intego Virusbarrier and Norton.
Both commercial solutions.

Ive got norton on my pc laptop and its awful to be honest. So im crossing all my digits that there are others out there.
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't run AV software. I don't really see the reason, being as there is no known Mac OS X virii in the wild, at least as far as I know.

FC
Leander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.

i did think the mac was less likely to be infected.

But dont some antivirus programmes also stop other malicious stuff like spyware aswell?

I'd forever kick myself if i got a virus and wasnt protected.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: ClamXav Reply with quote

I use the open source freeware ClamXav, not because I care about Mac viruses, but because I want to ensure that I don't pass emailed viruses on to people using lesser Microsoft products.

Razz

Jamie
Leander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamXav does look to be a good solution...for free aswell!

only thing im slightly worried about is ClamXav deleting all emails in a folder if only 1 email is contaminated. :/
MJRBIM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Norton Antivirus for Mac 10.0.2 - bought on eBay for $45 US and it's been great so far...no issues.
Ranter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use OS X Tiger 10.4.2, and have not had a single virus issue to date.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom's eMac had 15 infected files with names I've forgotten. I didn't really get a chance to read the file names or anything. I found them while using ClamXav, moved them to a folder and as soon I was going to trash them, the computer turned itself off. When I turn it on, it will load the OS and get the desktop picture, then its off again. Getting it fixed today, my mom thought she should get a service plan on it, because of my little brother. Well I guess it will pay off this time.

All the files were on the second Guest sign on. Mostly my little cousin uses it, goes to all these teeny sites, talks to all her friends, etc. Meanwhile downloading everything she comes across, files, pictures, messages, all kinds of installers. 14 of the infected files were on that user name.

Well, while my mom sorts that out. I have anti-virus on my Mac mini and I'm sitting pretty. Both Norton and ClamXav.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mini should be arriving today, and I have a list of apps to try once I get a feel for it.
I'll have to get a copy of ClamXav just for my own peace of mind, some habits from x86 I'd rather not break.

Mini arrived today!
(updating from it now)
1.5, and the envy of the entire office here. Very Happy
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
My mom's eMac had 15 infected files with names I've forgotten. I didn't really get a chance to read the file names or anything. I found them while using ClamXav, moved them to a folder and as soon I was going to trash them, the computer turned itself off.

Moral of the story--don't delete any files until you do a bit of research on each one. If you have only OS X on your computer (no Virtual PC, etc.) nothing that ClamXav finds is going to hurt your computer anyway. The worst that could happen is that you might (but probably won't) forward a virus via email.

Smile

Jamie
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Macintosh computers for 10 years and I have never and I mean NEVER used an antivirus program! I just doesn't happen! There has never been a documented virus infection of Mac OS X and the in the old Mac OS (Classic) there were never enough to worry about and the ones that were around really didn't do much damage! Save your money and spend it on a good router that has a built in firewall so people can see you and that is all the safety you need!

Even Chris Breen of MacWorld and Mac 911 says it a waste of time installing it, a waste of money buying it and a waste of CPU cycles to run it on a Mac!!! " It doesn't do you any damn good at all" Macworld Podcast #21: Mac 911 at Expo 1/11/06
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone that has worked in the computer security industry for over ten years, I think that while it is true that there has not been the release of viruses, worms, spyware, botnets, and phishing exploits for Mac that have plagued Windows users, Mac users should not bury their heads in the sand and pretend that Mac OS X does not have its share of vulnerabilities.

The bottom-line is that over 90% of the worlds computers are running some flavor of Windows and that makes it much more enticing for virus writers than the 3-4% of Mac users out there.

But, Apple has been getting a ton of press over the past few years (mostly for iPod's) and the numbers seem to be showing that Apple is winning over a significant number of converts (myself included) to OS X. If the number of Mac users continues to increase to, say, 10% of the market it is only a matter of time before a virus or worm is written which exploits a flaw in Mac OS.

Granted, OS X is far superior to Windows with regards to security (especially with regards to buffer overflows being able to gain remote "root" privliges), but the possibility still exists.

My advice is to ensure that you have the firewall turned on. Be aware of what email you open, and what web sites you visit. It might be wise to at least have AV on-hand (not necessarity running) in case a worm or virus is suddenly released.
valefortia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
tarizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un20UsThEmCDRuMPXVJaWiBeHiMaFrXXLiZeChAtXXToJesoPrMaTeOLErAu
BiXXXXrmFrRuGuShSaTiSPCDWSXXKeNaBlPuKoEnInGrJaCaXVXVMOXLPu
CiElOnAdIILeSeXIUdChXIOcELBrPaGlHaZeArAdMAZeJaICXIASCDMTEd
ZeNaPIDiAgArXIXIMiAkUlZeviQuEnRiPrLiLoSoGeRIAlmpZeLeTeLaBe
XXmaPIqSGrBeWiBaBoXXAmPIFMLaBoHHMOUSJBDVVINeFoVaENSqXVMaSo
CDTyKamaSuSiViYumpRoThEdDVSpMiXXInTrKeXIFoAuKaAnIIAcJoDeBo
WeJaAlSuCDJoJeXXSaSevsWaXVBrHaJuTeFrNeRuGiVIDVVIAmWaXXWiRo
FrJuChPIXVStIIYoGuJeAeDVLaOtXXPhXIWi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: