123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TM, Disk utility, partition HD- backup problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: TM, Disk utility, partition HD- backup problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have a big problem regarding backup issue (so this will be a long long one). Let me describe my current situation (not panicing yet, but irritating): Before I acquired an external HD, I partitioned my 320 GB internal HD into 2 volumes and I copy all data (system OXS 10.5.6 + personal files: ~ 20 GB) from my startup main volume to the small partitioned volume (reason: for a quick boot backup). Then I updated my system to 10.5.7 successfully. After that, I received my external HD (1 TB). Again, I used Disk Utility to format and partition the eHD into 2 volumes (Backup: 300GB, Data: 700GB). And then I ran TM to do the 1st time backup from my iHD to eHD Backup volume. It took at least an hour (by USB2). After that I went to erase the small volume in my iHD which contained 10.5.6 system files (no longer needed). At this point, the first problem surfaced: I couldn't 'de-partition' the 2 volumes in iHD and return to the original one-volume iHD (it seemed saying that both volumes are startup disk, so their sizes can't be changed, yet I actually erased the small volume by the option of erase and write '0' to it).

What is the formal procedure to 'de-partition' HD? -- if it's possible.

The second headache came after I ran TM backup: I used Finder to browse my Backup volume in eHD and it showed 2 sets of data (1 as the TM timed backup, 2 the 'latest' backup) and they are exactly the same (all contained the data in the small volume of my iHD and the main volume). Then I talked to Apple tech to clarify about this. The guy said that TM will make a new set of 'latest' backup data everytime, but keep all the old (previous) backup data sets in the eHD until after one month to perform a 'combination' that combines all the backup sets into a single set and then repeat the add-on backup process again. I ask the tech guy that what'll happen to the size of the backup data sets before the 'combination'? He said don't worry about it. I mentioned to him that starting from 40 GB, the next time it'll add 20 GB (at least) and so on. If TM run 10 times each day (every 1 hour) and after one month it would have run 300 times before 'combination'. That means the backup data size would be 6000 GB (6 TB)! A few seconds after I said that the guy disappeared and phone line disconnected. He never called back (though everytime they would check my phone number and say they'll call back if disconnected). -- Maybe this is not a big deal for me that I plan to do backup once a week, but I am irritated when tech support can't really help users, not mentioning giving out non-clarified info.

The false info the guy gave me about erasing the files in TM backup data is totally out of line: use Finder to browse backup files and delete them if you want. When I tried to follow his instruction, I got "this file in backup disk can't be changed/moved".

Is this true that you can't 'touch' anything in TM backup? Is there other way to delete some or even all the TM backup files?

Is there other application software can do a different or better job of backup than TM? (I know unregistered SuperDuper can"t do better.)
If there is, how do I delete the TM backup files in my eHD first?

Hope some knowledgeable guys here can give a hand. TIA
fiat

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TM, Disk utility, partition HD- backup problem Reply with quote

OK, sorted all out. In case someone need the answers:
fiat wrote:

What is the formal procedure to 'de-partition' HD? -- if it's possible.

To de-partition:
1. start disk utility
2. select the HD (not volume) you want to de-partition
3. click partition
4. select the unwanted volume
5. click "-" (not "+")
6. drag the remaining volume to bottom
7. hit "Apply"

fiat wrote:
Is this true that you can't 'touch' anything in TM backup? Is there other way to delete some or even all the TM backup files?

Delete any file/folder in TM backup disk:
1. use Finder to find the file/folder in backup disk
2. start TM
3. select the file/folder from the Finder window
4. click the "Gear" icon and select 'delete' the file/folder
5. delete process begins

Have a good one!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you can only change a partition in 10.5, and hopefully newer versions of OS X.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I believe that you can only change a partition in 10.5, and hopefully newer versions of OS X.

SC

I don't know about 10.4 (never used before) or earlier OSX, but sure can be done in 10.5.7
valefortia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
tarizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al19CHPEArAFUpXXSaOnDVDeTrPlErClFrTeJoMoBeOrGeRoXXTeNoPaJaAl
WaJuLoJoStJoJoOrNeNiLeCaDeMaGaDoXVVoDeJuRuXIOmFEXVJaStThBl
ErFoJTNiXIRAElViPhSnXXOBFEXICiRaLespAdELAgZeLuPhMiAnInInHo
DCZeScVilsDoRaXXZeOPPhABHaMaClXXFrHaLuDifaEEDJqaZeXXXIAmDa
XXXVScXXShTeINDiBMMMBoScAuFihiPoJaXXARARTuNYMPVAKMDiJiBlMi
wwThWiWiPrKeViWistXIAnThPrExElWiWaBlApDrIISVPaXIJoVeAcQuRi
XXDVUnSeDVJiVROrMeBlKeJPJoXXStEmhaMuViABwwSyReVIXXJoAnWIAl
RaCDBuScIoIICoNeDoUnLuXVJaXIMaKeBrEn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: