123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 9.04RC released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Ubuntu 9.04RC released Reply with quote

It was actually released on Thursday night, in all of the 'buntu flavours (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.). You can get it here. RC can be upgraded to the final version when it comes out, on Thursday (April 23). If you are going to try it on a virtual machine, I recommend using VirtualBox rather than VMware Fusion, as automatic mouse movement out of the virtual window doesn't function properly in Fusion with this latest version of Ubuntu (actually, the problem is the new version of xorg used by 9.04). All of the tools' extended capability works in VirtualBox. I don't know about Parallels.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Virtual Box Reply with quote

Wow, Virtual Box a FREE app. gets it right and commercial app's (app?) get it wrong.
Thanks for the heads up.
billb
MacBook AIR 11 Inch
Mac mini 2012 w/2 External SATA HD's
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VirtualBox is a Sun product, and they have a commercial version of it, but allow free non-commercial use. It is less feature-rich than VMware Fusion or Parallels, but it is updated more frequently and its tools package seems more robust than that of the other two products, at least on Linux virtual machines.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 9.04RC released Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
IRC can be upgraded to the final version when it comes out, on Thursday (April 23)

I really don't see the benefit of releasing the pre-final version so close to the final release. Unless they want users to iron out some last minute bugs and other glitches.

But by now, the Canonical team should be olde hands at this sort of thing.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Well Sorta???

If you consider mac os x leopard has some issues with linux partition's and that linux has a tendency not to partition the drive correctly and you loose your os x leopard partition.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 9.04RC released Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
I really don't see the benefit of releasing the pre-final version so close to the final release. Unless they want users to iron out some last minute bugs and other glitches.

But by now, the Canonical team should be olde hands at this sort of thing.

They are still bug testing with RC, but the changes are fewer. With the beta, I could go to the software updater in two days and have 80 are more updates to do. With RC, I'm typically seeing less than 10 updated packages every time I check.

I haven't run into any show-stopping bugs since I first tried 9.04 (with Alpha 5). The only real problem I've run into is related to running it as a virtual machine on VMware Fusion (mouse integration still doesn't work), but that's the fault of VMware, not Ubuntu, for not yet having updated their tools package.

Ubuntu 9.04 is very solid. It's faster than 8.10 and the graphics are better, but there are few new features.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaunty Jackalope looks really nice. I'm going to download it once the traffic slows down. I guess the servers are getting nailed since the real deal came out today. I tried earlier this evening, but it was going painfully slow.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
I tried earlier this evening, but it was going painfully slow.

The things Microsoft do to scrunch the opposition.... Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now run Ubuntu 9.04 on VMware Fusion and everything works. VMware didn't issue an update to its tools yet, but a VMware employee posted an easy fix for the two tools that didn't work properly. The main one is mouse integration, which is fixed by installing "xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse", available from Ubuntu repositories. The fix for file sharing is slightly more complicated, but not difficult, and it is the less important of the two since drag and drop between host and guest is working. A full description of the fixes can be found here.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you saw my other post about problems with UNR, but thanks for posting that Fox. I want to get this going on my Mac mini as well.
iLife's a Bitch!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox,

You'll be pleased to know I tried out the latest edition of Xubuntu.

It's not really much different from the earlier version. In this it's not so much a quantum leap, but more of a steady progression, built on past experience.

That said, one thing was noticeable.

Did you notice that ext4 is now supported ?

Using the Xubuntu partition editor, I formatted '/' & '/home' on my drive using ext4 in preference to ext3.

During boot up, I did notice a marginal improvement in terms of overall start-up speed.

But....

What was far more noticeable was the faster speed with which files were transferred.

I presume that ext4 is also supported in Ubuntu & Kubuntu.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aqua, I do know about ext4 being supported and on my Wind I made a /home partition separate from / and formatted the former with ext4. Something I read about stability kept me from formatting / with ext4, so I formatted it with ext3. I think you're right about file copying, but I haven't noticed much change in application startup time from 8.10 to 9.04 (maybe because apps are on ext3?).
valefortia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
tarizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th27BeCHDaDrWiImSuDVBiRiFlOnJaXIAnXIPiDeIXXXAlXXOrCaCDPuDVXI
MaRoLeRoTeMaSlCDFrVidpPapsFFJaNiPaZeRoReitSiIaFaFaMaWiGaNi
RoXXThHiWPXXIICDJoCDMiCoXXElChELSeWiLaCiRoViNiMAZeAgAgITAL
CDCiDIspPiZeAuThZeZeZeXIZeZespZeZeZeZespZeAgspZeZeZeCRDCks
XXXXDIFlSNTODVBoLuViMODIPoBeHHWoSiSTHeIICDThPoIrXIFSBlGrCi
WiACWiwwWiSiSPIcRoThDVLoShGoPsJeXVFaAbLeIlXIMaCoXICoFrFTJa
WiWiAcInDVStXIFoBBPoICMiWiJoXIFIAnBoOTRiCKSyOOXXErLoXVwwDa
KaPuChDIAuHaErSaRawwThXXFoStCDSuMoWi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: