123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils 1GB iPod nano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Apple Unveils 1GB iPod nano Reply with quote

Apple Unveils 1GB iPod nano
Tuesday February 7, 2006

Apple today unveiled a new 1GB iPod nano for $149, offering the same features as the 2GB and 4GB iPod nano models and holding up to 240 songs or 15,000 photos. The new 1GB iPod nano's ultra-portable design is thinner than a #2 pencil and features Apple's patent pending Click Wheel and the same color screen as the other iPod nano models. The new 1GB iPod nano is available in black and white. In addition, Apple announced that the iPod shuffle is now more affordable than ever with the 512MB and 1GB models priced at $69 and $99 respectively.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/434.html
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a very smart move by Apple... I know one of the things that I did not like about the shuffle was the fact that it did not have a click wheel or screen. At $149 I think the 1GB Nano is a great price for those people that just want a player that hold 200+ songs and has a great interface.

As for the $69 shuffle, that is brilliant.. They are going to get many more people switched over to the iPod brand which translates into more iTunes sales.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a shuffle, but I've held off on iPoddery altogether. This may make me changed my mind, though. Very Happy
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a smart move by Apple. I'm also happy they didn't discontinue the shuffle. The shuffle is the best for working out and stuff. The nano is still a little too fragile and scratch happy for what I need it for.
iLife's a Bitch!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
What a smart move by Apple. I'm also happy they didn't discontinue the shuffle. The shuffle is the best for working out and stuff. The nano is still a little too fragile and scratch happy for what I need it for.

I completely agree. I'm a shuffle fan, and I like the fact that there's not much that can go wrong with it. And I like not being able to micromanage my music stream--I'd rather live random[ly].

That said, it's a great marketing move.

Smile

Jamie
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but Dell is pulling out of the MP3 player market (although they mentioned that they would keep their flash DJ Ditty player around ($99), but the news of the $69 shuffle may change their mind.

I think it is pretty clear that Apple is completly dominating the MP3 player market and the news today demonstrates that they are not done..

Now if Apple can just continue the momentum with the Mac lineup (cmon new Mac Mini, and iBook).....
Influx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for them to have options for most types of users.

I have a video and a shuffle. the Shuffle is for excercising, whereas I use to video more around the house and at work and on the bus.
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Don't know if anyone else noticed, but Dell is pulling out of the MP3 player market (although they mentioned that they would keep their flash DJ Ditty player around ($99), but the news of the $69 shuffle may change their mind.

I think it is pretty clear that Apple is completly dominating the MP3 player market and the news today demonstrates that they are not done..

Now if Apple can just continue the momentum with the Mac lineup (cmon new Mac Mini, and iBook).....

It will come. I for one am in no rush. I can already do everything I need to do with my mini.

I think the low end of the market is a great area to for Apple to penetrate. Traditionally most people could not afford/justify the price of Apple products. Many people won't spend $300 on an iPod no matter what it can do. Many of us would not be using a Mac if the mini (low price point) did not exist.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will come. I for one am in no rush. I can already do everything I need to do with my mini.

I think the low end of the market is a great area to for Apple to penetrate. Traditionally most people could not afford/justify the price of Apple products. Many people won't spend $300 on an iPod no matter what it can do. Many of us would not be using a Mac if the mini (low price point) did not exist.

You know, I really do feel the same way with regards to the current Mini (keeping it for al least 1-2 years longer). But, I am looking at purchasing a new laptop in the next year or so, and although I want a MacBook Pro, I may be tempted by the new Macbook (umm I mean iBook). Obviously it will be cheaper than the Pro.

I also think that Apple should continue to pursue the low end of the market. They stand to make more money in the long run (for instance, since buying my loaded Mini I have since purchased an Apple Airport Express, iLife 06, an iPod Nano for my wife, and am considering buying iWork 06, and possibly a Macbook in the near future)...
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
I also think that Apple should continue to pursue the low end of the market. They stand to make more money in the long run (for instance, since buying my loaded Mini I have since purchased an Apple Airport Express, iLife 06, an iPod Nano for my wife, and am considering buying iWork 06, and possibly a Macbook in the near future)...

I'l also getting iLife '06, but I'm gonna wait for the Mac mini upgrade... The Mac mini's price is so low that buying iLife '06 separately makes no sense if you plan on upgrading (since we all know iLife '06 will be included with the "Intel Mac mini").

As for iWork '06, if you plan to use Keynote, well, it's incredibly easy to use and makes killer presentations.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Quote:

You know, I really do feel the same way with regards to the current Mini (keeping it for al least 1-2 years longer). But, I am looking at purchasing a new laptop in the next year or so, and although I want a MacBook Pro, I may be tempted by the new Macbook (umm I mean iBook). Obviously it will be cheaper than the Pro.

I agree. Apple products are so cool. I'm not bashing M$, but I can't say the same thing. Other than office, I have no desire for a M$ product beyond Windows and I don't even want that.

Apple on the other hand (at least in my opinion) makes products that are very desirable and worth paying for. I don't pirate software, but M$ Office is probably the most highly pirated software in existence. I would never buy M$ Office. I'm still using a free NFR (not for resale) copy of Office '97.

I don't actually have a need for iWork or the new version of iLife, but they may be products that I will buy. I'm going to wait and consider purchasing a new Intel based Mac to get iLife '06 (I also do not have Airport or Bluetooth in my mini, so there is another $100).

I am having fun in the Mac world. Apple is a company that I really like to support. I have good feelings towards Apple and I want to see them do well. I don't care if the marketshare grows. As long as Apple makes a good profit and continues to produced quality products that offer value.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I'l also getting iLife '06, but I'm gonna wait for the Mac mini upgrade... The Mac mini's price is so low that buying iLife '06 separately makes no sense if you plan on upgrading (since we all know iLife '06 will be included with the "Intel Mac mini").

I'm in the same boat. I skipped purchasing Apple Care and upgrading to iLife '06. I figure that extra $230 will come in handy over the next few weeks. It should at least account 25%-35% of the cost of the new mini or whatever new desktop Apple comes out with.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I skipped purchasing Apple Care and upgrading to iLife '06. I figure that extra $230 will come in handy over the next few weeks. It should at least account 25%-35% of the cost of the new mini or whatever new desktop Apple comes out with.

I felt a little guilty about buying iLife 06 having bought my Mini in October, but I have a .mac account and really liked the idea of photocasting and iWeb. Plus i picked up iLife 06 for $60 after discount..

But I don't blame you for waiting.. I agree on not buying Apple Care on the Mini as well. Now if I were buying a 3K Powermac then I would consider it...
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1GB nano is only $129 with an educational discount. Hell I almost bought a shuffle before Christmas for $100. I'm ordering one! Very Happy

Edit: Does anyone out there have one of the new iPod radio remotes? How do you like it?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Edit: Does anyone out there have one of the new iPod radio remotes? How do you like it?

I've been thinking about buying one. iLounge has a good review with plenty of pictures and comments.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/apple-computer-ipod-radio-remote-ipod/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: