123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tryed the lacie as boot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khayman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Tryed the lacie as boot Reply with quote

I just bought myself a Lacie mini drive (i always wonderd how you say "lacie"? is it ´Lassii´?) well on to my real question.. I found out that the Lacie mini has no fan, so it´s pretty quiet (well not the one i bought.. im changing it for a new one today, the one i got has a small sound from it... almost like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... and i suppose its not right)
Well on to the real question Wink
Has anyone tryed to have the Lacie mini as the bootable drive on the mac mini? im thinking that if it doesent have a fan then maybe it will get pretty hot working all the time? and it´s made for stacking under the macmini so it will probably transfer the heat to the mini?
And if you use it as the bootdrive, does the internal hd work less and get the heat down and the fan working less?
Thanks for the time!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's LaCie

Pronounced "La See"
LittleBigGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have been using the LeCie 80 gig hard drive (firewire) as my boot drive for several months. It is turned on all the time unless we lose power, which happens here more often than I would like.

I get that sound occasionally, but nothing appears to be wrong, just a vibration from somewhere. I have had absolutely no problems.

On a side note, if you plan to use a password you have to set up the internal drive with password as well. Otherwise, as I found by experimentation, someone could power down your computer and then it would restart to the internal drive from time to time. If it does this then it is easy to click on the LeCie drive icon and access files there.

Hope I helped.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably needlessly paranoid (and I'm sure that others will chime in and tell me so Laughing) but I think that the long-term health of a hard-working boot drive is enhanced with a good, quiet fan. Call me old-fashioned, but I err on the side of caution here.

Smile

Jamie
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I'm probably needlessly paranoid (and I'm sure that others will chime in and tell me so Laughing) but I think that the long-term health of a hard-working boot drive is enhanced with a good, quiet fan. Call me old-fashioned, but I err on the side of caution here.

Smile

Jamie

I was thinking about this and my iPod yesterday (40GB HD model). The iPod had no vents or fans. On top of that I have it in a case. On top of that I shove it in a little nook in the dash of my truck (about the size of a pack of smokes). On top of that the dash area of any vehicle usually produces heat (especially when the heater is running). To top it all off I play it for up to 18 hours consecutively. I am often driving in 4X4 conditions (bumpy, gravel, mud, snow, ice).

I have been abusing/using it this way daily for just over a year.

Food for thought... (with a lot of toppings).
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I'm of the opposite opinion; the mini is so quiet that external drive fans sound noisy next to it. My new miniStack has a fan and the WD drive in it makes irregular "seek" noises. I'm not happy about either although they wouldn't be noticable in a room with a Power Mac or PC. In retrospect I wish I had bought a fanless LaCie, even the model that doesn't have the extra ports.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
picaman wrote:

I'm of the opposite opinion; the mini is so quiet that external drive fans sound noisy next to it. My new miniStack has a fan and the WD drive in it makes irregular "seek" noises. I'm not happy about either although they wouldn't be noticable in a room with a Power Mac or PC. In retrospect I wish I had bought a fanless LaCie, even the model that doesn't have the extra ports.

Being that the LaCie drives with the fans in them are not out yet. I think it is a bit premature to write off the models with the fan.

I'm hoping with their design that the fan does not come on often or make much noise. I tried to find info on how the LaCie fans will operate, but no luck yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
Khayman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i know that it works to have the Lacie as bootdrive but it gets hot... i changed back again and now using the internal again.
I did the test by xbench and the point i got was...
48.09 as the internal drive worked as the bootable.
and when i changed to the new Lacie i got 46.14.
So i changed back again to get the fastest results.
Though the results from the disktest show that the internal get a result of 29.75 and after i changed to Lacie i got 50.27.
But i figured that if the total result is going down, i better use the internal instead.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khayman wrote:
Now i know that it works to have the Lacie as bootdrive I did the test by xbench and the point i got was...
48.09 as the internal drive worked as the bootable. and when i changed to the new Lacie i got 46.14.

I got a similar result with my miniStack, with the xbench score being slightly higher when the internal drive was the startup. And my scores were similar to yours. I suspect that the difference has to do with the firewire vs. the internal IDE connection; the latter is a bit faster. However, despite the xbench result, it is clear to me that the Mini is more responsive with the external being the startup drive. So that's how my Mini is configured.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Also some expiriences... Reply with quote

Before Brian from 123macmini.com accidentaly erased a whole thread, I told some fellow posters about my expiriences with the LaCie. I also have found out it turns pretty hot if used as boot drive and since I'm not even 2 feet away from the enclosure I can HEAR the internal Hitachi drive 160 GB (Deskstar/7200 rpm/8 mb cache/). I hear it clicking and working and there is a low hum which is noticable when I'm just silently working without music. Sometimes I can hear the mini's internal too, but that's just a fraction of the external's noise. It annoys me because of the tremendous peace(!) the MM itself spreads, to have something else attached which makes noise. On top of that one of the Firewire ports doesn't work anymore so I cannot use it to connect my external FW DVD writer and I have to switch cables all the time. Since I swapped the original 80 GB drive for a 160, I guess warranty is void and I cannot ask LaCie to repair the unit under warranty. Moreover, I bought it on the internet (new that is, but without bill of course). I might sell it in the future for a drive something like THIS, that would even look good with a future G5 Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: