123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Point to make about opening Mac mini case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Point to make about opening Mac mini case. Reply with quote

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here but when you go to open the Mac mini's case make sure you shove the putty knife down in to far. There is a small little mesh gasket that goes around the case and if you shove the putty knife down in to far you'll F it up. You only need to put the putty knife in about a 1/4-1/2 inch to work. I found out the hard way and ripped it!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Point to make about opening Mac mini case. Reply with quote

andp wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here but when you go to open the Mac mini's case make sure you shove the putty knife down in to far. There is a small little mesh gasket that goes around the case and if you shove the putty knife down in to far you'll F it up. You only need to put the putty knife in about a 1/4-1/2 inch to work. I found out the hard way and ripped it!

Oh yeah. I tore the mesh gasket up pretty good on all three of my minis. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh yeah. I tore the mesh gasket up pretty good on all three of my minis.

I super glued some of mine back down and cut the rest out with an X-acto knife. I'm not sure what purpose it serves but I haven't heard it mentioned on here before. Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Wink

Andrew
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
I super glued some of mine back down and cut the rest out with an X-acto knife. I'm not sure what purpose it serves but I haven't heard it mentioned on here before. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

I immediately deemed it unimportant and just teared off whatever was damaged.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I blew my gasket! Laughing

I think it's a EMC gasket to protect the mini from interference.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
jase

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was lucky... I didn't have any problems.

Although I found that the pizza wheel I borrowed from the kitchen actually worked
better at opening the Mini than the putty knife I bought specifically for the task... the edge was sharper, and being round let me work it back and forth along the side much easier.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pizza cutter…whata gooda idea! All kidding aside a pizza cutter with a sharp blade would do a good job. I used a putty knife and the gap between the plastic and metal on the bottom of the Mac mini's case was so tight I could barely get it in because the blade was not sharp enough. With a pizza cutter I might have been able to roll the blade back or forth to get it down in the case easier. Apple probably knows this but they were to embarrassed to put it in the service manual. RLMAO
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
mgckmn73

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
A pizza cutter…whata gooda idea! All kidding aside a pizza cutter with a sharp blade would do a good job. I used a putty knife and the gap between the plastic and metal on the bottom of the Mac mini's case was so tight I could barely get it in because the blade was not sharp enough. With a pizza cutter I might have been able to roll the blade back or forth to get it down in the case easier. Apple probably knows this but they were to embarrassed to put it in the service manual. RLMAO

I plan on slapping in a Gig, and i am sure glad that i can get an official apple case modifying device from pizza hut Smile
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I guess I was lucky... I didn't have any problems.

Although I found that the pizza wheel I borrowed from the kitchen actually worked
better at opening the Mini than the putty knife I bought specifically for the task... the edge was sharper, and being round let me work it back and forth along the side much easier.

Me, too. I had a really hard time with a 3.5" putty knife (square edge). The Mini I just bought was as a gift and a curiosity satisfier for myself. I'm going to wait for the Rev. B Mini before buying one for myself.

BTW, Tiger made my 550MHz TiBook feel snappier! Tiger on the Mini is a great platform.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: