123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Belkin Flip for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techster82 wrote:
Yeah I understand that, but I am not having a display problem with the mini. I have had it hooked up to my 26" LCD via VGA and it looked great, and it looks great on my Dell monitor as I type this. What doesn't look good is my PC output through the Flip.

My bad. I had it backwards. So the display looks good with the Mac mini, but looks bad when you switch over to the PC.

Do you have the same resolution and refresh rate selected on both computers?
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
techster82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do have the same rate set, but since you asked I double checked. My PC monitor was set at 60hz refresh. I moved it to 70hz and it looks much better. Go figure. Thanks for asking, I guess you solved the problem.

Edit: The mini only gives me the option of 60 or 75hz. I have it set at 60 and it looks fine, but the PC looks perfect at 70hz. Is it because of the graphics cards in each?
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techster82 wrote:
Edit: The mini only gives me the option of 60 or 75hz. I have it set at 60 and it looks fine, but the PC looks perfect at 70hz. Is it because of the graphics cards in each?

I'm not sure why one refresh rate would look better than the other. It could be just the way your PC's video card interacts with the KVM. Actually, I thought it might be a good idea to sync those numbers up. I guess if it looks good, that's all that matters.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how good of a KVM the Flip is, but it sure looks cool.
ophelia174

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techster82 wrote:

The volume randomly goes up and down while using the Mac Mini. I will be surfing the net or typing on the min, and all of the sudden the box comes up on the screen and the volume goes haywire. Really irritating.

mine does the same thing! along with randomly muting, ejecting, and switching computers. does yours ever switch computers without prompting?
pibeandres

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ophelia174 wrote:
techster82 wrote:

The volume randomly goes up and down while using the Mac Mini. I will be surfing the net or typing on the min, and all of the sudden the box comes up on the screen and the volume goes haywire. Really irritating.

mine does the same thing! along with randomly muting, ejecting, and switching computers. does yours ever switch computers without prompting?

I've had the same problems with 2 different Flips. I bought them at CompUSA. The first kept switching between PCs ( a mini and an HP). The volume kept going down on its own too (on both PCs). I tried changing the keyboard/mouse, the speakers, etc. I went to CompUSA, got another one....same problems. I swapped out my sound card on the PC, swapped out the USB2 card, reinstalled XP (I realllly wanted to make the KVM to work), nothing worked. I called Belkin-they'd never heard of the problem. I ended up getting an Iogear USB KVM.
xnooby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: My Flip For Mac flips-out Reply with quote

I bought a Flip For Mac, and it constantly goes crazy. I'd return it if I had kept the box and packing materials. The volume goes up and down, CD eject activates, and it switches between PC and Mini about every 5 seconds. Totally useless. I'd smash it with a hammer if I didn't plan to try to utilize the 3 year warranty, assuming they call me back or answer my emails.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Flip For Mac flips-out Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:
assuming they call me back or answer my emails.

Belkin products are usually pretty good, but their tech support is the worst. I was on hold with them for 2 hours once waiting for wireless support. This was after sending them numerous unanswered emails. I finally got it worked out, but it was painful. The product had to be sent back. But then they never sent me the call tag. You get the picture. I would dread having to call them again.
erikv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Flip For Mac flips-out Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:
I bought a Flip For Mac, and it constantly goes crazy.

Same issues here. Random switching between computers, volume adjustments when I'm nowhere near my office, etc.

What gives? Are the touch sensitive buttons "too sensitive". And what gives with the power brick? Other USB KVMs are able to pull all the power they need from the USB bus.

I also emailed Belkin Tech Support. Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up waiting for a response... Confused
xnooby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically they finally emailed me back about 30 minutes after I posted.

"This has been a recent issue with alot of the FLIPS that have been produced. I would recommend that you give us a call at your earliest convenience so that we may help you troubleshoot this issue and resolve it."

Sounds like they might think they can fix it over the phone, which would be nice. I called them, and their tech support is closed until Monday.

At least they acknowledged there is a problem. That is a good sign.
pibeandres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:

Sounds like they might think they can fix it over the phone, which would be nice. I called them, and their tech support is closed until Monday.

At least they acknowledged there is a problem. That is a good sign.

I'm very interested in knowing what they say, when I called Belkin they made it sound like they'd never heard of issues with the Flip. I can only guess they were B.S.ing me or I was one of the first unlucky people to get a messed-up one.
ophelia174

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:

I'm very interested in knowing what they say, when I called Belkin they made it sound like they'd never heard of issues with the Flip. I can only guess they were B.S.ing me or I was one of the first unlucky people to get a messed-up one.

or the product was just so new they hadnt had a chance to get complaints yet. I'm glad other people are having the same problems though, maybe there will be an easy fix!

If anyone gets a solid solution from Belkin let me know!
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews for this sound dreadful. I thought being VGA was bad enough, but these button issues are worse.
xnooby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to their tech support, and one of their support people has the same problem on his Mac Mini. He submitted the problem to the engineers last week. They said to call them back in 1-2 weeks, so they will have a chance to diagnose the problem and determine what the fix is. They offered to mail me a new one, but said they couldn't guarantee it wouldnt have the same problem until they have had a chance to diagnose it (which sounds reasonable). The problem only effects some units. The good news is, they say they are going to fix it. The fix will either be software, flash bios, or mail out replacement units.

They suggested NOT using the "flip" software, as that has helped in some cases. Mine "flips" regardless of the software being loaded, and regardless of which OS (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, and OSX). I disabled it in OSX, but as an OSX nooby, I dont know how to fully remove it (or even find it).
politeym

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Flip works fine w/ my Mini, but freaks when I use my PC Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:
I talked to their tech support, and one of their support people has the same problem on his Mac Mini. He submitted the problem to the engineers last week. They said to call them back in 1-2 weeks, so they will have a chance to diagnose the problem and determine what the fix is. They offered to mail me a new one, but said they couldn't guarantee it wouldnt have the same problem until they have had a chance to diagnose it (which sounds reasonable). The problem only effects some units. The good news is, they say they are going to fix it. The fix will either be software, flash bios, or mail out replacement units.

They suggested NOT using the "flip" software, as that has helped in some cases. Mine "flips" regardless of the software being loaded, and regardless of which OS (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, and OSX). I disabled it in OSX, but as an OSX nooby, I dont know how to fully remove it (or even find it).

Interesting -- I just registered with this site, and the motivating factor was that I need help with my Belkin Flip too. I'm having a problem similar to the one described -- random switching between computers, sometimes going into a bizarre pendulum effect, blinking back and forth. But this only happens when my PC is powered up. Shut it down, and just use the Mini, there's no problem. And the reverse is certainly not true -- shut down the Mini and just use the PC, the Flip will still switch over. I've noticed there seems to be a tendency to flip over when I'm starting up applications, but it happens other times too.

I can say that I did install the Flip software on the PC, but only after this problem had made itself infuriatingly apparent. Needless to say, the software didn't help, but it wasn't the cause of the problem. I did NOT install the software on the Mini, and in my case the Mini without the software works fine with the Flip. Not that there's much point in having a KVM switch that only works with one of my two computers.

I should mention that I could not get my speakers to work with the switch -- tons of feedback, as if the plug was loose. That was OK with me, I really only listen to music on the Mac. But one more strike against this product. But it just fits so well with my whole office set-up, and it's a PITA to return (I ordered online) so I'm hoping to hear of a solution for the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: