123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changed my mind...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Changed my mind... Reply with quote

At the end of the month, I am ordering a fully pimped 20" Intel-based iMac. (256MB vram, 500GB SATA drive, 2GB ram, 2.0GHz Core Duo) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stink! Razz
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed my mind... Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
At the end of the month, I am ordering a fully pimped 20" Intel-based iMac. (256MB vram, 500GB SATA drive, 2GB ram, 2.0GHz Core Duo) Smile

Where's the green-faced smiley for "jealousy"? Admins, get on that.

Wink

Jamie
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed my mind... Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
mavherzog wrote:

Where's the green-faced smiley for "jealousy"? Admins, get on that.

Wink

Jamie
Mr. Green Evil or Very Mad best I could do
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend just ordered a 17" and I feel left out. My G5 iMac seems old now. Shoud I sell mine and change my name to DuoDuo? Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
My friend just ordered a 17" and I feel left out. My G5 iMac seems old now. Shoud I sell mine and change my name to DuoDuo? Laughing

Speaking of G5 iMacs...My wife's power supply in her 17" G5 iMac crapped out. I brought it in to a local computer shop (authorized Apple repair place). In LESS than 24 hours, they installed a new motherboard and P/S and had it tested and ready to pick up for me! (I was expecting them to have it for at LEAST a week) Not bad for warranty repair.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

Speaking of G5 iMacs...My wife's power supply in her 17" G5 iMac crapped out. I brought it in to a local computer shop (authorized Apple repair place). In LESS than 24 hours, they installed a new motherboard and P/S and had it tested and ready to pick up for me! (I was expecting them to have it for at LEAST a week) Not bad for warranty repair.

It's likely because it happens all too often with the iMacs (they have the parts on hand).

I've read that a component with the cameras on the models just prior to the Intel Model are prone to failure.

There is no way I would buy an iMac without Applecare.

I'm happy the mini has been a solid computer from day 1.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It sounds like you have allinonephobia like me! Laughing

mavherzog,

Amazon has $150 MIR on the 20" and $125 MIR on the 17" iMacintels.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

It sounds like you have allinonephobia like me! Laughing

mavherzog,

I realize that things get blown out of proportion on the internet, but lets face it the iMacs have had issue with power supplies, boards, fans, and now camera. I don't know if it's just allinonephobia or just the fact that there are too many things to go wrong and, they seem too. I can understand getting a bad hard drive or other mechanical parts once in a while, but the things that seem to be having issues on iMacs are solid state, they are made by Apple (only) and they are expensive to replace.

It just makes sense.

I didn't buy Applecare on my mini, but I would on an iMac and likely on a PowerMac.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the previous generation G5 iMac (pre-iSight). It is a known issue with Apple, so even if I WAS out of warranty (and didn't have AppleCare) it would've been covered within the first 2 years.

See here.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
This was the previous generation G5 iMac (pre-iSight). It is a known issue with Apple, so even if I WAS out of warranty (and didn't have AppleCare) it would've been covered within the first 2 years.

See here.

I'm not saying I would not buy one. I may very well buy an iMac down the road (It depends on what the new mini/PowerMac has to offer). I think the iMac is an excellent computer.

Apple has fixed the known bugs in the parts carried over to the newest Intel model, but the Intel model does have differences, so it has yet to prove itself.

Anyhow... I would buy Apple care on an All In One design. However, I would not hesitate to purchase an iMac.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Anyhow... I would buy Apple care on an All In One design. However, I would not hesitate to purchase an iMac.

And by AIO I assume you also include laptops (the ultimate AIO systems). Smile

I'll let you all know how my new iMac treats me once I get it in house.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I'll be doing BTO through the Apple store. (maxing HDD, vram, and even system memory since it is actually fairly reasonable through Apple for a change). Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: