123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Buy to carry Mac Minis in stores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Best Buy to carry Mac Minis in stores Reply with quote

Best Buy to carry Mac Minis in stores
Tuesday April 5, 2005

It's been confirmed that Best Buy will carry the Mac mini in its stores. Best Buy has been selling the Mac mini on its website for several months but this is the first time it will be on their store shelves. Macs were carried at Best Buy until 1998, when Apple decided to move out of several retailers and focus on its own retail stores. We feel this is great news for people who don't live close to an Apple Store and want to see the Mac mini in person before buying one.

Kevin Cockett, a Best Buy spokesman, told CNET News.com the retailer was "excited" to begin carrying the Mac Mini in all of its stores. "It's the latest innovation from Apple and strengthens Best Buy's assortment of computers."

Earlier this week Merrill Lynch analyst Steven Milunovich issued a research note saying: "Last week one Best Buy showed us Mac mini accessories; Mac minis are coming later." At that time he noted that the Mac mini might not be available until Tiger was released. "Buyers would not be pleased if they had to plunk down an extra $129 after their $499 Mac mini purchase."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/282.html
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Best Buy salespeople are better trained at answering Mac questions. In the past this was a HUUUUUGE problem!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I hope the Best Buy salespeople are better trained at answering Mac questions. In the past this was a HUUUUUGE problem!

Don't get your hopes up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just hear it now!

Customer: What's a G4?

Besy Buy Sales Clerk: BINGO !!!!

ok so nobody ever said I was a stand-up comedian.

Andrew
jase

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Best Buy employees won't do much to sell the Mini, I'm sure. They get very little training so they tend to push what they know.

But... if Best Buy puts a Mini up on display, the small size alone will attract attention. Seeing one is a shock when you realize that that's the entire computer.
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the employees know much about anything they sell. My real world examples:

1. Does a DVI cable come in the box? Employee says absolutely. Upon opening said box, employee says, oh, I guess it doesn't.

2. I'd like to return this iPod because I keep having to reset it. Tech employee, all iPods do that because Apple doesn't care to fix the problem since they are too busy rolling out new products.

3. I'd like to return this monitor since the DVI mode isn't working properly. I watch as he hooks the monitor up to a VGA cable and I kindly point out that he needs a DVI cable and a computer with a DVI port.

4. Do you have any PC-100 memory for my laptop? Employee hands me PC-3200 regular memory telling me that speed will step down to PC-100. I ask if the form factor will step down to the mini dimms the laptops take.

5. Do you have the iTrip for my iPod. Employee recommends against it because you have to install software for iTrip to work. Wrong, you only need to install stuff if the default channel of 87.9 doesn't work for you.

6. Helped a woman who wanted a G4 PowerBook for her photo business, but the local Best Buy gurus sold her a Gateway laptop. They assured her that it had the software and horsepower to do all her DVD editting. She realized all the Windows software she tried wasn't nearly as good as the Apple stuff she was using at class. I kindly pointed her to the nearest Apple store.

etc., etc.

I will only shop at Best Buy now if I have to have something today. Newegg gets all my other business.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
6. Helped a woman who wanted a G4 PowerBook for her photo business, but the local Best Buy gurus sold her a Gateway laptop. They assured her that it had the software and horsepower to do all her DVD editting. She realized all the Windows software she tried wasn't nearly as good as the Apple stuff she was using at class. I kindly pointed her to the nearest Apple store.

Glad to see you did some public service! lol Apple has failed before with Best buy and I don't see anything changing. Newegg rocks!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: